Westward Ho! To Disneyland We Go!!!!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I decided to go ahead and get started on this trip report.   Some preamble. We always have wanted to do something special for our 25th Anniversary, and years ago we evened dreamed about visiting the D

After World of Color, we waited on the crowds to disperse, then wandered to DTD for some Earl of Sandwich. I had found a Groupon for $10 worth for $5, and was able to buy two coupons, so dinner was pr

By the way...who is this Westward Ho you are speaking of? :rofl3:

Dinner looks good.  Love all the old pictures!

I could have looked at those pictures all evening..... There were lots more, but they were scattered around areas where folks were still eating, so didn't get to see all of them.

That looks like a fascinating restaurant - and I loved the shape of that soup bowl!

It really was, and the soup bowl... hmmmm I didn't really notice it :)

Ok I just have to ask... Did that wall in your room freak you out when you woke up each morning? I think I would be looking around making sure there wasn't a squirrel nearby.

Oh and I love parades so thanks for sharing the parade photos.

You know, when I was looking at our hotel online, I thought I would be really bothered by the wall murals, but honestly, in person, I didn't notice it.

That restaurant looks cool. Is that inside Disneyland?

That restaurant is a fairly new addition in the remodeled California Adventure Park. The shape of the building is a recreation of the Carthay Circle Theater where Snow White premiered. The downstairs lobby and bar, supposedly is patterned after the lobby of the theater.

Oh, I forgot to mention, while we were waiting on our table, we did relax at the bar for a bit. Another couple joined us at our table, and we had a really nice conversation with them. There may be pictures on Rick's Cell phone, but not on my camera, thus I don't have any right now. But anywho, we got to talking about why this trip came about, and our wedding anniversary, and the other couple bought our drinks :)

Now, we are up to Sunday, April 19th

We had plans in Hollywood on Monday, so we needed a car, so found a Hertz place about a block from the hotel, and rented a car on my points for 2 days. Even on points, they make you pay the taxes with cash, so the rental cost was going to be around $10.00

IMG_2013.jpg

Here we go, heading for the rental car place

IMG_2014.jpg

If you are staying on Katella and want some other dining options, Anaheim Garden Walk has tons of choices

IMG_2016.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

There is also a movie theater

IMG_2021.jpg

plus other high end shopping

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

more dining

IMG_2036.jpg

Once we arrived at the rental car place, Rick saw a couple of convertibles in the lot..... He was bound and determined that we were going to have a convertible to drive. He finally talked the counter guy into a convertible for only an additional $60 for the 2 days.  If I had known Rick wanted a convertible, I probably could have gotten one on points...... grrrrr, but all points reservations have to be 48 hours in advance, no last minute.

Here we have dropped back by the hotel to pick up stuff we would need for the day. We decided we were going to cruise the coast!!

IMG_2038.jpg

Here we goooo

IMG_2041.jpg

First we had to get to the coast, so I had looked up on the computer to find the closest beach town from Anaheim, which happened to be Huntington Beach. Once we arrived there, our plan was to head North on the Pacific Coast Highway

IMG_2043.jpg

The Anaheim Convention Center was busy this weekend with a Star Wars convention

IMG_2044.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

Before we got to the coast, though, we had another mission. We were told we HAD to visit In-N-Out Burger

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

And there it is.... Burger, Fries, and a Milkshake..... It was not anything spectacular, just a burger, fries, and a milkshake

IMG_2050.jpg

Now, we're looking for the beach. Early blooming daylillies.... Ours don't bloom till later in the year

IMG_2054.jpg

and this is a good breaking point. The Pacific Coast Highway coming next

The parade was fun to watch. I actually can't imagine it at night.... no lights

No need to imagine- here's what it looks like at night:

This was a Pixar parade.

Roz kicked things off:

12%208%2014%201568_zpsutnzqbd3.jpg

The Monsters, Inc. franchise was up first. So, we had a few monsters:

12%208%2014%201570_zpsdgz3klcm.jpg

And Sully:

12%208%2014%201571_zpsiu0l0m9p.jpg

Then it was the Incredibles. Mrs. I:

12%208%2014%201572_zpsc9rym8ch.jpg

Mr. I and Frozone:

12%208%2014%201573_zpsgmba8s3d.jpg

Note that there are guests viewing the parade from the balcony of the Carthay Circle restaurant. I'm not sure if that's open to all guests, but it looks like a nice place to watch the parade:

A flaming Jack Jack. Did this happen in the movie?:

12%208%2014%201575_zpsjlbsbajt.jpg

Next up was Finding Nemo, so we had Crush:

12%208%2014%201576_zpsvmvqt3up.jpg

And some random fish, and lots of bubbles:

12%208%2014%201577_zpsmekcylli.jpg

Then it was Bug's Life. This Heimlich character was funny- the segments were not connected, but they somehow were able to synchronize their walking:

12%208%2014%201578_zpse1w8jxln.jpg

I'm not sure why the bubble machines were still going for the bugs, but they were:

12%208%2014%201581_zpsktm63jjq.jpg

This has something to do with Toy Story:

12%208%2014%201583_zpsiov9vjoe.jpg

Aliens and random bubbles:

12%208%2014%201585_zpsezzz9nly.jpg

This Toy Story float was pretty spectacular. The blurry things you see hanging from the float are gymnasts who were swinging around the poles up there. Kind of like Tumble Monkeys, but these were cowgirls:

12%208%2014%201589_zpsqphtxasu.jpg

Slinky Dog came in two parts:

12%208%2014%201590_zpsjqpur49u.jpg

The parade finished up with Cars:

12%208%2014%201592_zpssnc8b9b7.jpg

12%208%2014%201593_zpscsxon5rz.jpg

That was a fun little parade, but they missed a bunch of Pixar movies. Nothing from UP!, Wall-E, Ratatouille or Brave.

But, at least California Adventure has a parade.

They took the daily parades away from Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom a while back.

As far as I know, they're aren't any plans for new parades at those parks. You have to go to Disneyland if you want more than one park with parades.

TCD

• 3 weeks later...

We had just left In-n-Out Burger and were working our way to the coast and the Pacific Coast Highway.

We found it and our first view of the ocean

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_2070.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2081.jpg

Unfortunately, the first little bit of our drive North was the only true "coast driving" we did.

There was a lot more stuff like this

IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

We actually had to leave the PCH and go a couple of blocks west to park and do this:

20150419_151949.jpg

20150419_151955.jpg

Some more sites along our drive

IMG_2087.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

Not really the coast, huh....

IMG_2089.jpg

Hardee's is Carl's, Jr. out west

IMG_2092.jpg

Some more of the "not the coast"

IMG_2099.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

There's Knob Hill

IMG_2102.jpg

Here's some more of that same stop from before.

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

Some residences across the street from where we were parked

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

Photo limit

Continuing on

IMG_2134.jpg

Now, we're continuing North and we're at Redondo Beach

IMG_2139.jpg

I got this picture for Kelly

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

The closer we get to LA, the more smog we can see

IMG_2143.jpg

Now, we're in Santa Monica

IMG_2147.jpg

and there are some pictures of the Santa Monica Pier.

IMG_2149.jpg

The traffic and parking was so miserable though, we didn't stop.

IMG_2151.jpg

Another famous landmark

IMG_2153.jpg

and here we are passing LAX

IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_2161.jpg

Some big companies I've familiar with and actually do some business with back here at home

IMG_2163.jpg

We had been on the highway for a good 4 hours now, and knew we need to drive back, so decided to work our way back South and also find a bite to eat.

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

We were at..... The Hermosa Beach Fish Shop

IMG_2170.jpg

IMG_2171.jpg

and now we're heading North again. It was actually getting chilly, so the we put the top back up.

IMG_2173.jpg

another iconic sign

IMG_2177.jpg

either clouds or smog

IMG_2178.jpg

one thing we started to notice, there were a LOT of car washes on the PCH

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2181.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

It was starting to get dark, and I actually missed quite a few of the signs.

A bit more of our drive back in just a few... that is picture limit.

Are those oil rigs close to the shore?

Yeah, I'm thinking they were, looking at the perspective, don't think I had that much zoom on the lens. Then again, they "might" be natural gas rigs. When I took the Mobile Bay ferry with the camper a few years ago, there were some rigs similar to those that were very close to the shore.

FYI - I was using my new 18-135 lens for this trip. I found it to be really versatile. I got it for Christmas to replace my original 18-55 lens that hit the pavement on our Halloween trip. I have a 75-200 lens, but found it to be too much of a zoom for general picture taking, and I don't want to lug two lenses.

Some of the beach shots look like Newport Beach or Huntington Beach. I lived in Huntington Beach in the late 70's. Yes the oil rigs are fairly close to shore along that area. I don't know about today but at one time the oil from that area was exported and the oil used for gas and other products came from Alaska.

I noticed you went through Hermosa Beach. I used to play a jazz club there called the Lighthouse.

There are a lot of car washes in SoCal. At least when I've lived out there the residents seem to be more OCD about keeping their cars clean than other parts of the country I've lived in. I have a nephew that moved there from a northern state and decided pretty quickly he just couldn't continue to drive his northern rust bucket if he wanted to fit in.  ;)

Damn, I thought you forgot to finish, this is the only TR I've read in a long time and you left me hanging. I am waiting for the PIR part :)

Nope, not forgotten, just when work keeps coming at you like a fire hose, no time to play :( 

The PIR day is coming next, unfortunately, as far as TR pictures, it will be very boring. (You'll have to read a little bit Bob)

Some of the beach shots look like Newport Beach or Huntington Beach. I lived in Huntington Beach in the late 70's. Yes the oil rigs are fairly close to shore along that area. I don't know about today but at one time the oil from that area was exported and the oil used for gas and other products came from Alaska.

I noticed you went through Hermosa Beach. I used to play a jazz club there called the Lighthouse.

There are a lot of car washes in SoCal. At least when I've lived out there the residents seem to be more OCD about keeping their cars clean than other parts of the country I've lived in. I have a nephew that moved there from a northern state and decided pretty quickly he just couldn't continue to drive his northern rust bucket if he wanted to fit in.  ;)

We started and ended at Huntington Beach. That's what I asked Google Maps to find for me between Anaheim and the PCH.  Looking at the map, it looks like we went through Seal Beach, Long Beach, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, past LAX, and then Santa Monica.

I'm also seeing that we probably drove the worst possible stretch of the PCH as far as coast views.  If we had kept going North past Santa Monica, it looks like the PCH hugs the coast. It also looks like if we had gone South first instead of North, we would have hugged the coast a little bit more. Oh well, live and learn.

Monday, April 20th

Today we are going to be on TV!!!!  As I said in the beginning of the report, we got tickets for the Studio Audience at the Price is Right. They actually pull the contestants from the studio audience without any advance auditioning, or prior notice, so everyone in the audience has a chance to be on the show.

They have two tapings a day. The first taping you have to be there about 8am, the 2nd taping, you have to be there by noon.  I chose the noon arrival time.

To get tickets, I googled Price is Right Tickets, and found this website: http://on-camera-audiences.com/shows/The_Price_is_Right

I picked the dates I wanted, and received confirmation of guaranteed seats.

We read all the stuff on the confirmation they gave us, figured out where we were supposed to park (a shopping mall parking garage very near by $24 a day).

Read that we weren't supposed to wear clothing with any logos, and not to wear white, and to wear closed toe shoes, no sandles, no high heels, no flip flops, etc.

Also noted that we need photo ID and our Social Security cards with us.

Also, no cameras or phones allowed.

So we dressed as they asked, planned to leave the camera and phones locked in the trunk, and headed for Hollywood.

Oy, at the traffic

IMG_2200.jpg

and the smog

IMG_2202.jpg

getting closer

IMG_2206.jpg

some hilltop homes

IMG_2210.jpg

These are "Ethical Drugs"

IMG_2211.jpg

and here we are

IMG_2212.jpg

See that sidewalk. That was our first destination to wait in our first line of many on that sidewalk.

IMG_2214.jpg

This is where the pictures stop. We locked our stuff in the trunk and proceeded to where we were supposed to be. We then noticed CBS is as bad about enforcing rules as the Fort.

We saw folks in logo shirts, many folks had their phones with them, many were wearing flip flops, on lady was in very high heeled sandals....... OY.

We got in the line outside the gate, and at 11:30, they started letting folks in. We actually moved up ahead of some folks because we had guaranteed seats, where some had standby tickets.

They checked our IDs at the gate, then we were let into this covered seating area with long benches, concessions, and restrooms. We were handed release forms and a number.

Then we had to sit in our spot on the benches in the order that we arrived. As we filled our our release forms, folks came around to collect the forms, check our IDs again, and create the famous yellow name tags.  They are created by hand. We then had to put on our name tags, and attach our numbers to the bottom of the name tags. We then were allowed to move about in that area to use the restrooms if needed, visit the concessions area, or visit the CBS store (they had lots of Price is Right merchandise, and merchandise from other CBS shows.)

I'll continue on in a bit.

I was co-executor of the trust for an uncle's care. He went there on an outing sponsored by the assisted living facility he lived in. It will be interesting to hear your take on it for comparison.

Being it was Huntington Beach in the shots I used to go shark fishing from that pier at night. I also used to drive by Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station going to and from work everyday when I lived in that part of Huntington Beach.

I was co-executor of the trust for an uncle's care. He went there on an outing sponsored by the assisted living facility he lived in. It will be interesting to hear your take on it for comparison.

Being it was Huntington Beach in the shots I used to go shark fishing from that pier at night. I also used to drive by Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station going to and from work everyday when I lived in that part of Huntington Beach.

Cool on the Shark fishing. More on our day at PiR coming up!

After they were about 2/3 of the way through handing out nametags, they started moving folks through the process. Coming up next were green screen pictures, and some basic interviews.

They took our pictures in front of a green screen. Individually, and then as a couple. They asked a bit about how excited we were and took pictures to get our reactions. Then took a "normal" picture of the two of us.

Price20is20Right201.jpg

Price20is20Right202.jpg

As you can see the pictures were for sale. We bought the "normal" one, as the others with us yelling were not attractive with our mouths wide open :)

We then moved to a different area around the corner, where we were brought in groups of 25 to actually be interviewed by the producers. They asked where we were from, what we did for a living, and some other random questions.

After the interviews, we were moved out from under the awnings along a sidewalk to go through the metal dectectors and this is where they also took phones and cameras from folks that brought them in. We were standing on the sidewalk a LONG time, as they were giving signed and stamped receipts for every phone and camera.

We waited here in yet another covered outside area to await time to actually enter the studio for the taping.  In this area is where the folks came by to show us our pictures and give us the opportunity to purchase.

We arrived at 11am, and it was now 4pm. Taping was to start about 4:30.

I'll leave off here and start inside the studio next.