A good friend of mine has been saving for trip to orlando.

I've already got them booked at Disney's Beach a Club. They are stating a few days at Universal and want to stay on property. Money really isn't an issue but they definetely want to stay on property.

Which hotel would you recommend. And why?

We have stayed in the Royal Pacific and the Hard Rock - haven't tried the new Cabana Bay resort or the Portofino.   I'll use Disney metaphors....

Hard Rock - Contemporary - the closest to the Universal Studios.  Can take a boat ride to Islands of Adventure.  Swimming pool has rock music you can hear underwater.  Louder and more for the young at heart.

Royal Pacific - Wilderness Lodge - more low key, walking distance to Islands of Adventure, bit farther away than Hard Rock tho - we usually used the boats.

Portofino - Beach Club - very cool theming, near the Hard Rock and a bit farther away from Universal Studios - has boat and walking access.

Cabanas - pick any all stars resort - shuttle bus access primarily.  It does have walking access but you are the farthest away. and it is on the Islands of Adventure side.  Think 50's Vegas styling.

We prefer the Royal Pacific...not as expensive as Hard Rock (expensive tho!) - Depending on which park they will visit most (Islands of Adventure or Universal Studios) may help them choose.  If they want the most themed immersion that Universal Offers (nothing like Disney) - the Portofino might be their choice.  Farther away from the action and quieter.  

We have stayed in the Royal Pacific and the Hard Rock - haven't tried the new Cabana Bay resort or the Portofino.   I'll use Disney metaphors....

Hard Rock - Contemporary - the closest to the Universal Studios.  Can take a boat ride to Islands of Adventure.  Swimming pool has rock music you can hear underwater.  Louder and more for the young at heart.

Royal Pacific - Wilderness Lodge - more low key, walking distance to Islands of Adventure, bit farther away than Hard Rock tho - we usually used the boats.

Portofino - Beach Club - very cool theming, near the Hard Rock and a bit farther away from Universal Studios - has boat and walking access.

Cabanas - pick any all stars resort - shuttle bus access primarily.  It does have walking access but you are the farthest away. and it is on the Islands of Adventure side.  Think 50's Vegas styling.

We prefer the Royal Pacific...not as expensive as Hard Rock (expensive tho!) - Depending on which park they will visit most (Islands of Adventure or Universal Studios) may help them choose.  If they want the most themed immersion that Universal Offers (nothing like Disney) - the Portofino might be their choice.  Farther away from the action and quieter.  

I would agree with all of this. Let me know if you need an assist. 

The TCD gang has stayed at the Hard Rock and the Royal Pacific.  The Hard Rock was our favorite by far.  We much preferred the theme there over the Royal Pacific.  The Royal Pacific is supposed to feel something like the Polynesian Resort at WDW, which is supposed to feel something like Hawaii, but doesn't quite get there.

TCD