Gas stations skimming problems in Florida

Just saw this and thought I'd post. While skimming can happen anywhere it seems there is a pretty big one happening at Florida gas stations at the moment. I've had it happen to me here in Raleigh but fortunately when it was caught my credit union was notified quickly and sent me a new credit card. Skimming is also why I do not use a debit card at gas stations or restaurants.

http://jacksonville.suntimes.com/jax-news/7/115/164637/investigation-turns-illegal-credit-card-skimmers-81-florida-gas-stations

I usually do credit at the pumps, but I always wondered what use entering a zip code for the credit card billing address does.

If you lost/had your wallet or purse stolen, the thief probably got something with your address/zip on it along with your credit card.

I got gas the other morning, the pump prompted me twice for my zip.  About an hour later I checked my account and saw an extra entry for a $1 besides the amount of gas I purchased.

I called the Circle K and they said it was normal and the $1 would drop off after a few hours (it did).  Gave me a scare, I thought it had been skimmed and someone was doing a small charge to see if it went thru.

It's bad everywhere.  They even have heat sensing photos on your smart phone that can read the heat from you pushing your buttons on the pad.  The next person just steps up with their groceries and look like they are texting but what they are doing is taking the thermal photo of the pin numbers you used.  The stronger the color, the more likely it was the last number.  Very sophisticated these days.   My daughter was just hit for over $2000 recently again.   They can get your card info simply by being near you.  Scary stuff.

It is scary.  A few months ago I was checking my on-line bank statement status and found a series of charges from Las Vegas to Hollywood that added up to over $2,000.  Havenot been there in over 15 years!  My son the cop suggested, and i di, call the police, report it, and call the bank ASAP.  Thankfully the bank was very helpful, got me a new ATM card, canceled the account and moved everything, and replaced the money.  Filing the police report helped a lot in gettign all that done.  It worked out fine, but it was a stressful day or two, and we still dont know how or when it happened that someone got my ATM card info.  Now I make sure I check the bank status at least daily for charges.  It is a strange world we live in master jack!

The skimmers I've seen are small devices that are stuck over the slot that you insert your ATM card.  It can be a gas pump or an ATM.  It reads your card as you push it through to the real card reader.  It has a small camera focused on the key pad and takes a picture of you putting your PIN into the machine.  The skimmer stores that info and when it is removed by the criminal they then read the information, make a duplicate card and with your PIN number can then empty out your account.  You can detect these types of skimmers by looking closely at the slot and see if it is raised from the base of the machine.  Or you can grasp it and try to shake it.  If it feels loose then report it to the manager or police right away.  If you do this I'll bet you will see someone approach the reader and remove it before you return.  There is always someone near by as they only leave the skimmer in place for an hour or two.  What I don't see in the attached article is if the skimmer was visible or if it was found inside the gas pump reader.  If thats the case then you must never go back to that gas station as they are in on the scam.  I knew there was a reason I do not go to U Gas and I thought it was because they refuse to speak English to me.

I've started going IN to gas stations, purchasing a soda and having them run my card for the gas inside, then pump, then go back in for a revised receipt. It takes a bit longer, but would rather that, then get skimmed. Also, even though I call my credit card when traveling, was getting "go inside" on the third fillup just about every time, so annoying.

Yes, gas stations are very susceptible for skimmers, but they can also show up in other places like at ATMs; even some stores have been hit.  It is always a good idea to let your bank know if you will be traveling and the area so they can eyeball your card for wacky things.  We have started using cash for fueling up even though it can take a couple of extra minutes.  I ask for a receipt and if I paid too much then I go back in and get my refund.  I know this can be a hassle for very long trips around the country.  Over the last year and a half of traveling from NY to GA to work on our house and then the moving process we have become very adapt at figuring out what the tank will hold and how much to pay. 

DINDAVE, I do the grab and shake on every pump. The last trip to the fort, I forgot to do the grab until after I began to fill. When I grabbed the card reader and shook, the whole fron of the pump opened because it must have been hit bu a trailer or something. I looked all around the interior electronics and no one ever looked my way.