Came home, camper was plugged in all day today... battery is still dead.  Everything "looks" connected and I know that when we first got home that it did work because I remember the radio being lit up (not home, but the lit) and we were not plugged in.  Now the radio is black.  I tried flipping the breakers, no change.  Is the converter the breaker box??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you connect your TT up to your truck (after unplugging from shore power of course) do the lights work? Also, make sure to at least place the trailer hitch on the ball, to provide common ground throughout.

This would allow your TT to draw power from the truck battery, and this would answer once and for all if you have continuity throughout the TT, and would prove your new TT came with a faulty battery.

If you connect your TT up to your truck (after unplugging from shore power of course) do the lights work? Also, make sure to at least place the trailer hitch on the ball, to provide common ground throughout.

This would allow your TT to draw power from the truck battery, and this would answer once and for all if you have continuity throughout the TT, and would prove your new TT came with a faulty battery.

We're camping over Mother's Day weekend... I'll try that.  I also have to talk with Jayco about some minor repairs, so I'll ask them about the battery as well.  Thank you :)

Looks correct, not a big fan of the wiring job though, a little too much electrical tape in my opinion. The use of heat shrink wrap and wire loom would have been nice, look a little professional about it will ya. Looks like a wiring job I would have done when I was 10.

Ok off my soap box.

They may have hooked it up backwards originally and saw their mistake and fixed it possibly? Is there only one wire going to the negative? I swear I have two on mine. Thinking out loud and spitballing.

Does your electric tongue jack work when not plugged in?

Best Regards,

norm

Looks correct, not a big fan of the wiring job though, a little too much electrical tape in my opinion. The use of heat shrink wrap and wire loom would have been nice, look a little professional about it will ya. Looks like a wiring job I would have done when I was 10.

Ok off my soap box.

They may have hooked it up backwards originally and saw their mistake and fixed it possibly? Is there only one wire going to the negative? I swear I have two on mine. Thinking out loud and spitballing.

Best Regards,

norm

Agree on the wiring job. The they should have at least bundled the wires and taped them together.  

From Jayco's Owners manual

Replacement and maintenance

Some equipment in your RV will draw small amounts of current even when turned OFF. To prevent the auxiliary battery from being discharged when your RV is not connected to shore line power, disconnect the auxiliary battery negative cable at the battery. During storage, it is important to check the voltage monthly and recharge the auxiliary battery as needed. If you remove the auxiliary battery from your RV, store it in a dry, cool area per the manufacturer’s instructions. When it is time to replace the auxiliary battery, replace it with a Group 27 deep cycle battery only. Contact the battery manufacturer for further information. Do not reverse the positive and negative battery cables (doing so will blow the reverse polarity fuse(s) that protect the converter).

Ok off my soap box.

Best Regards,

norm

Thanks.  No on the tongue... but I don't imagine it would work if the battery is dead?  Or, are you saying that the battery could be charged but the lights inside the camper do not work because the fuses are blown?

Agree on the wiring job. The they should have at least bundled the wires and taped them together.  

From Jayco's Owners manual

Replacement and maintenance

Some equipment in your RV will draw small amounts of current even when turned OFF. To prevent the auxiliary battery from being discharged when your RV is not connected to shore line power, disconnect the auxiliary battery negative cable at the battery. During storage, it is important to check the voltage monthly and recharge the auxiliary battery as needed. If you remove the auxiliary battery from your RV, store it in a dry, cool area per the manufacturer’s instructions. When it is time to replace the auxiliary battery, replace it with a Group 27 deep cycle battery only. Contact the battery manufacturer for further information. Do not reverse the positive and negative battery cables (doing so will blow the reverse polarity fuse(s) that protect the converter).

Hmmm.... my only question is, if they had accidentally hooked up the battery wrong (then caught and fixed their mistake), wouldn't it have blown the fuses immediately?  Keep in mind that the battery was working when we first got home (I know this as the radio was lit up).

Thanks.  No on the tongue... but I don't imagine it would work if the battery is dead?  Or, are you saying that the battery could be charged but the lights inside the camper do not work because the fuses are blown?

Yes, I was wondering if the battery was charged and becaue the fuses were blown etc, and it obviously worked when you got home and disconnected your tow vehicle. Like I said, I'm thinking out loud and spitballing.

Best Regards,

Norm

Usually if the battery is hooked up backwards there are 2 large fuses in the converter that will blow, protecting the items beyond that and keeping all those little fuses from blowing.

I'm not sure what could have happened that caused the other fuses in the panel to all blow. 

Have you guys replaced the fuses yet? If so, and there is some sort of 12v short in the system I imagine they would possible blow again right away. 

Does the battery have a cover? Did anyone set something accross the two exposed terminals ( it would normally be a wild ride , but if the battery was almost dead maybe no one noticed) the only other way all of the fuses would be blown at once is if the main wires were crushed in on or near the converter panel

Usually if the battery is hooked up backwards there are 2 large fuses in the converter that will blow, protecting the items beyond that and keeping all those little fuses from blowing.

I'm not sure what could have happened that caused the other fuses in the panel to all blow. 

Have you guys replaced the fuses yet? If so, and there is some sort of 12v short in the system I imagine they would possible blow again right away. 

Haven't replaced all the fuses yet. 

Does the battery have a cover? Did anyone set something accross the two exposed terminals ( it would normally be a wild ride , but if the battery was almost dead maybe no one noticed) the only other way all of the fuses would be blown at once is if the main wires were crushed in on or near the converter panel

Yes, there is a cover; I took it off to take the picture.

Jayco has authorized us to take the camper into a different dealership (I had expressed concern before the purchase, about CW doing any repairs), so we'll have them take a look at it.  I'm waiting to hear back from the now, if we need to bring it in before camping this weekend... or if it can wait until after the weekend.

I plugged it into the house this afternoon and the lights, radio, etc work.  Question I have is, if the fuses are blown... why do the lights still work?  We are learning all of this as we go, but I think it's because the converter, battery and fuses all work together and the shore power has nothing to do with these three... so blown fuses would not make a difference???  Does that sound right??

If all of the fuses are blown I think you are at the point that someone needs to start chasing down the wiring checking voltages and looking for wiring or converter problems. You could try replacing all of the fuses but if they blow again you will still need to go through the voltage/wiring stuff. At one point the main  fuse for the converter was blowing in our trailer and it was the result of a connector that had partially disconnected but it took me a while to figure out the wiring so I find the problem (couldn't get a schematic from the manufacturer).  It might be time to take it to the dealer although I know you would rather not.

Haven't replaced all the fuses yet. 

Yes, there is a cover; I took it off to take the picture.

Jayco has authorized us to take the camper into a different dealership (I had expressed concern before the purchase, about CW doing any repairs), so we'll have them take a look at it.  I'm waiting to hear back from the now, if we need to bring it in before camping this weekend... or if it can wait until after the weekend.

I plugged it into the house this afternoon and the lights, radio, etc work.  Question I have is, if the fuses are blown... why do the lights still work?  We are learning all of this as we go, but I think it's because the converter, battery and fuses all work together and the shore power has nothing to do with these three... so blown fuses would not make a difference???  Does that sound right??

When on shore power the converter converts the AC to DC for the 12V portion of your system. If fuses are blown in the 12V system then you shouldn't have lighting or anything else that  runs off of 12 volts. I don't know what you are using to test the fuses but some of them have to be in good condition for the trailer lights to work.

If all of the fuses are blown I think you are at the point that someone needs to start chasing down the wiring checking voltages and looking for wiring or converter problems. You could try replacing all of the fuses but if they blow again you will still need to go through the voltage/wiring stuff. At one point the main  fuse for the converter was blowing in our trailer and it was the result of a connector that had partially disconnected but it took me a while to figure out the wiring so I find the problem (couldn't get a schematic from the manufacturer).  It might be time to take it to the dealer although I know you would rather not.

Could the problem you describe, create a hot skin condition??

Fuses are cheap, replace them and see what happens

Also, if your battery is low and you plug it in to charge, then put too much of a xraw, then fuses will blow. Replace the fuses, plug in the camper, wait 24 hourz, then try stuff

We were going to replace them... but then figured we'd just let the dealer look over things and he can replace them on Jayco's dime (even though yes, they are cheap :) ).   I am very thankful that both Jayco and this local dealer are working with us.  Jayco knew that we really didn't want to go back to CW and we have actually rented a storage spot at this local dealer so .... having them fix things is a big blessing.  It's convenient and we feel confident in their service (now if only they could have sold us the silly camper!).

Could the problem you describe, create a hot skin condition??

No. Hot skin is on the AC side of things where incorrect AC wiring causes the hot side of the connection to be applied to the frame. This can happen anywhere from the pedestal (most likely cause), to the power cable, to the internal AC wiring in the trailer (least likely and I expect very rare if ever based on conversations I've had with Mike). For the power cable to be at fault it would need to have been repaired by someone who didn't know how to wire it correctly or was damaged after it was manufactured to be suspect.

In your trailer all power goes through the converter. It has an AC side and DC side where it can take power from. When you are plugged into shore power the AC side goes to all of your outlets and appliances. It also converts some of that to 12V DC to power the 12V side of the trailer such as your interior lighting or radio  and to charge the battery. When you are not connected to shore power the converter uses the battery to only power the 12V DC side of your trailer. For all of the converters I have seen the AC side circuits are protected by circuit breakers and the DC side is protected by fuses. If all of your fuses were bad you wouldn't have any interior lights or radio. Since you say you do have lights and radio those fuses have to be good.

In your trailer all power goes through the converter. It has an AC side and DC side where it can take power from. When you are plugged into shore power the AC side goes to all of your outlets and appliances. It also converts some of that to 12V DC to power the 12V side of the trailer such as your interior lighting or radio  and to charge the battery. When you are not connected to shore power the converter uses the battery to only power the 12V DC side of your trailer. For all of the converters I have seen the AC side circuits are protected by circuit breakers and the DC side is protected by fuses. If all of your fuses were bad you wouldn't have any interior lights or radio. Since you say you do have lights and radio those fuses have to be good.

Agreed. Some fuses have to be good.

Since you are returning it to a different dealer, I would ask them to "clean up" the battery box wiring job. Those pictures should be sent to Jayco management so they can understand what kind of work one of their dealers is performing. 

No. Hot skin is on the AC side of things where incorrect AC wiring causes the hot side of the connection to be applied to the frame. This can happen anywhere from the pedestal (most likely cause), to the power cable, to the internal AC wiring in the trailer (least likely and I expect very rare if ever based on conversations I've had with Mike). For the power cable to be at fault it would need to have been repaired by someone who didn't know how to wire it correctly or was damaged after it was manufactured to be suspect.

Thank you.  When do you arrive at the Fort this fall?  We'll be there 10/28 - 11/15.

Agreed. Some fuses have to be good.

Since you are returning it to a different dealer, I would ask them to "clean up" the battery box wiring job. Those pictures should be sent to Jayco management so they can understand what kind of work one of their dealers is performing. 

Thanks... I did send pictures of the battery to Jayco.  Hopefully our local dealer will clean things up; I will definitely ask :)