HI Mighty Fiends! Got a question....

My folks gave us a pile (pile might be an overstatement of the truth) of gift cards for Christmas. I am also purchasing the 3-packs of gift cards from Sam's Club to save a few buck on our upcoming trip.

The question is - - - can I add these to my account ahead of time, so my magic band purchases, etc, draw down on the gift cards before it starts charging my credit card??

This is one of those things that might have a really obvious solution that I am missing.  If that is the case, I blame motherhood, lack of sleep, and lack of coffee...

Cindy

I have used gift cards to pay reservations and annual passes.  Have never tried to put an "advance" on the room to cover charges, but I have been able to leave the remainder of a gift card on the room account that was used to pay for stuff before my card was charged.  Also, I believe the credit card is only billed at the beginning of the stay (for the balance of the reservation) and then is billed as you reach the limit on the reservation.  This leaves the option to stop in and pay with the gift card at anytime during the stay.

Christmas 2013 I brought $2000 in Disney gift cards with me that I purchased at Target using their Red card. Saved 5%, IIRC, when I got to the resort to check in they had me go to the concierge desk and they deposited them one at a time into my account. They did tell me that if I don't use them all they can't refund me the money.

No problem. We were buying 3 APs and staying for a week. My gift cards were used first so it shouldn't be a problem.

Christmas 2013 I brought $2000 in Disney gift cards with me that I purchased at Target using their Red card. Saved 5%, IIRC, when I got to the resort to check in they had me go to the concierge desk and they deposited them one at a time into my account. They did tell me that if I don't use them all they can't refund me the money.

No problem. We were buying 3 APs and staying for a week. My gift cards were used first so it shouldn't be a problem.

They should have refunded the balance to the cards.

They should have refunded the balance to the cards.

I'm sure if there was anything left they would have. I just don't think they ever had someone put that many gift cards on their acct. it was 40 $50 gift cards.

Oh I just remembered. We had to go to guest relations at Hollywood studios to buy our APs. We could have to any of the parks, but when we got here it was a PIA. They couldn't charge the APs to our room acct. after about an hour a supervisor gave us our APs and some FPs and told us they will have to get the money from our resort. So if you are buying APs with gift cards don't deposit them into your hotels acct. take them to guest relations.

I've never done it, but look into that Disney savings account. I think you can fund it with gift cards and get an extra kick back from using it.

You get a $20 gift cars for every $1000 you spend. Not jut save but spend. 2%.

I think it's better to get the $50 gift card at Target and get 5% off.

I actually buy $25 Disney gift cards all the time. Last trip we had a bunch saved. I didn't use them until late the night before checkout. I went up and paid our bill for the charges we had put on our room. It was about $715 and I had $675 in gift cards(mostly in $25 Disney cards you get at the supermarket). We had the dining plan so this was the tips, drinks, gifts and other things. This worked out great for us. This year I am taking more because I hope to get some Christmas gifts and things for our new house. I will need to see the limit they put on the room so I pay before it hits the card. You could probably put half on at check in and the balance at check out.

We buy them here in Pittsburgh as well.  Grocery store here gives 10 cents off fuel for every $50 you buy.  A few times a year, they do 20 cents for every $50 and Disney is included. We write the amount on the face of the card with sharpie, and spend them in the parks like cash. I don't like having an open account, or a balance due- Just in case its not me who does not create the balance!

Great info, folks! Thanks!

I will either call and make some poor sap sit on the phone with me whilst I read off the card numbers for 23 gift cards OR just do it at check in.  My fear is that we will have repeat of last trip - - when I got lazy and they charged my card before i got around to adding the gift cards.

I will also look into the disney savings account....

Cindy

I've never done it, but look into that Disney savings account. I think you can fund it with gift cards and get an extra kick back from using it. 

It's my understanding that the Disney Savings account cannot be used for room incidentals. I could be wrong, though.

Slight hijack.

Has anyone ever seen discounted Disney gift cards other then at Target or sams club?

No, but- my daughter's school uses this Great Lakes Scrips program that the school gets a percentage of each gift card sold. We, the buyer, don't get any discount- but we do get a "feel good" for benefiting the PTA.

It's my understanding that the Disney Savings account cannot be used for room incidentals. I could be wrong, though.

No, but- my daughter's school uses this Great Lakes Scrips program that the school gets a percentage of each gift card sold. We, the buyer, don't get any discount- but we do get a "feel good" for benefiting the PTA.

They are huge money makers! We did them for our co op.

Great info, folks! Thanks!

I will either call and make some poor sap sit on the phone with me whilst I read off the card numbers

Hah, we had to do that last year when we booked HDDR over the phone and didn't realize I was going to be paying up front.

Got all thru the booking process when the agent says what credit card are you charging that to?

Had to put down the phone while we scrambled around the house trying to locate our gift cards then scratching off the nasty silver stuff to get to the secret #s.

What a hassle and mess.

Hah, we had to do that last year when we booked HDDR over the phone and didn't realize I was going to be paying up front.

Got all thru the booking process when the agent says what credit card are you charging that to?

Had to put down the phone while we scrambled around the house trying to locate our gift cards then scratching off the nasty silver stuff to get to the secret #s.

What a hassle and mess.

In 2013 I called to pay for our resort rooms and was told that they could only accept two forms I payment. I could use a gift card and a credit card but they couldn't take multiple gift cards over the phone. Glad to hear they fixed it. I would rather so that over the phone then have to wait at concierge desk when I check in like they made me do at Christmas 2013.

In 2013 I called to pay for our resort rooms and was told that they could only accept two forms I payment. I could use a gift card and a credit card but they couldn't take multiple gift cards over the phone. Glad to hear they fixed it. I would rather so that over the phone then have to wait at concierge desk when I check in like they made me do at Christmas 2013.

May not have changed.

We tried to purchase our FL AP on line back in February using multiple gift cards and the on-line site wouldn't allow it. I called and they couldn't do the purchase over the phone but said I could go to a Disney store and exchange multiple cards for one.

Store couldn't do it so we ended up stopping at Downtown Disney to purchase the passes.

• 3 weeks later...

***UPDATE***

Here is an exhaustive update on my gift card saga.

Once upon a time, I took my giftcard pile (about 20 cards) to the disney store in an attempt to consolidate them into one.  You can't do that.  I tried to purchase $1200 in gift cards, using gift cards. You can't do that either.

We arrived at the Fort and told the check-in chic that I wanted to put gift cards on my account to be drawn down first prior to charging my credit card.  You can't do that. You can only pay a balance due. I told her that I had spoken to a disney rep by phone prior to departing my home and she assured me that I could, in fact, load the cards into may account, but that any remaining balance could not be refunded (mis-truth #1). She told me, "You can't do that."

I indicated that I wanted to charge the gift cards first - - - "should I come inside and pay for the room now," I asked. No need she said, just come down during the week and apply the cards to your room total. She put a note in the account requesting the credit card not be charged, that I would be come with gift cards during the week.  (this mis-truth #2 will be revealed later in the saga).

We enjoyed out time at the fort and merrily went about charging all our meals, purchases, etc to the magic bands with the intent to pay off the charges with the gift cards.

The day before our departure, we stopped in at the outpost to apply the gift cards to our waiting balance, only to find that my card had already been charged.  According to front desk chic (here comes the aforementioned mis-truth #2) as soon as I checked in, my card was charged for my full stay. This was not mentioned by check-in chic when I asked, else I would have walked into the outpost and paid with the dang gift cards.

So, we stood by whilst she refunded my credit card (a refund that I did not see for 4 days) and recharged the balance to each little gift card.  In the end, it all worked out but O.M.G. Could it be more complicated?!?!???!  With all the tech they already have in place, why not let people add gift cards to reservations and magic bands directly?!??!?!?!?

The End.

Last year I bought $2000 in gift cards from target to buy APs. When I checked in the girl told me she can't do it but to go to concierge desk and they can do it. They added all the cards no problem. I guess you just need to talk to the person that knows the right way to handle gift cards.