• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've only been to Dollywood once, and we did it very wrong... didn't get there till 11, large group, and pretty much just wandered. Only got in a few attractions, but we enjoyed our day with Fiends :)

We've made two trips there since June, and are going back for Thanksgiving.     The hotel is spectacular.  We may stay there sometime in the early spring when the new wooden coaster opens (world's fas

Cinnamon Bread at the Grist Mill will change your life...most excellent.

As I've posted in this thread already, we are big Dollywood fans too and have had annual passes several years over the past decade including this year. This year we also had the waterpark pass.  We plan to go back for the Christmas activities. But, I also hope that it doesn't get too popular because it is nice just the way its is.

The new resort wasn't open on our last visit and I look forward to walking around it on our next one. The $149 rate isn't offered very often, though, and interestingly since Dolly had like 11 siblings, most of their rooms are for a maximum of 4 which bumps our family of 5 into the larger suites and therefore a higher price. So it is like Disney in that respect. But there are tons of inexpensive but decent hotels in the area and we've learned how to get around the traffic to minimize travel time. Last time we stayed at this Clarion Hotel  about 10 min drive away for $72/night in the summer. It also had a Gone With the Wind theme which you don't see at many motels these days.  

Never been to dollywood but we normally hit the smokies once a year. We normally stay up in elkmont. No hookup but there are generator loops. Been there with and without a generator and it is great. It is about a 20 minute drive at max over the Gatlinburg bypass from pigeon forge.

We have drove through the rv parks in pigeon forge and have not been impressed. There are a bunch out I believe 321 to the east of gatlinburg. Some were rated well on good Sam and they looked nice when we drove by a few months back.

I will probably always stay at elkmont though. It is my happy place in the smokies.

My uncle in Knoxville was going on about Elkmont back when we had a popup, and I know my cousins have been there for the lightning bug synchronicity thing, but now we are too big to go there.  :(

I love Dollywood.  I went on a school trip back when it was Silver Dollar City, before Dolly bought it, and then had a season pass with friends when I was in HS.    Haven't been in about 3 or 4 years and have never camped in the area, so I can't help with that.  I know they've added more coasters and stuff, but we have never done more than one day.

There is definitely a back way in to cut out some of the traffic but I don't remember what it is. 

Hope this helps!  :P

So nice to see people posting about Dollywood. We absolutely love this park. This year when we went we opted to do Dolly's splash country since the kids are a bit older. I wanted to do both but with Disney APs we just did one. I would pick Dollywood over Disney any day. We did not tour the resort but it looked beautiful. Pigeon Forge has so much to do and the prices are reasonable. We were there once near thanksgiving and they decorate so nice. I agree with everything DIT says about it. TCD you really need to try and plan a trip up there, even if it's just with Mrs TCD. The hotels are reasonable and there are cabins galore to rent. DIT, you have to try this when you go in Thanksgiving. It's open all year. You have to ride it during the day and night. Totally different experience. We rode it 4 times.

http://smokymountainalpinecoaster.com

So nice to see people posting about Dollywood. We absolutely love this park. This year when we went we opted to do Dolly's splash country since the kids are a bit older. I wanted to do both but with Disney APs we just did one. I would pick Dollywood over Disney any day. We did not tour the resort but it looked beautiful. Pigeon Forge has so much to do and the prices are reasonable. We were there once near thanksgiving and they decorate so nice. I agree with everything DIT says about it. TCD you really need to try and plan a trip up there, even if it's just with Mrs TCD. The hotels are reasonable and there are cabins galore to rent. DIT, you have to try this when you go in Thanksgiving. It's open all year. You have to ride it during the day and night. Totally different experience. We rode it 4 times.

http://smokymountainalpinecoaster.com

I definitely want to try that alpine coaster.  We've done the thing at Ober Gatlinburg with the concrete track....that's fun but the coaster looks better.  

We booked two nights in mid-December at DreamMore.  Want to see the lights at Dollywood and looking forward to checking out the resort.

• 2 months later...

We have two trips to DW planned for 2016.  One in the summer, and one for Thanksgiving.  Staying in the MH in Sevierville in the summer and using Veteran's Blvd to avoid much traffic.  In a "cabin" for Thanksgiving off 321 in Gatlinburg.  We gotta find some of those nooks and crannies DIT has explored at DW.

We have two trips to DW planned for 2016.  One in the summer, and one for Thanksgiving.  Staying in the MH in Sevierville in the summer and using Veteran's Blvd to avoid much traffic.  In a "cabin" for Thanksgiving off 321 in Gatlinburg.  We gotta find some of those nooks and crannies DIT has explored at DW.

We had to cancel last year's trip... trying again for this year (August);  fingers crossed!

Cinnamon Bread at the Grist Mill will change your life...most excellent.

I would love to go to Dollywood, but my Mother-in-law just recently moved from an hour away from us all the way to Nashville.  With that being said, the whole state of Tennessee is on my no travel list.  I feel sorry for all you Tennesseans.

Thinking of maybe trying to go there mid April( if they are open) and the new coaster is open, anyone want to meet up let me know as the wife will not be on that trip and hate to ride the coasters alone.

Thinking of maybe trying to go there mid April( if they are open) and the new coaster is open, anyone want to meet up let me know as the wife will not be on that trip and hate to ride the coasters alone.

Hmm- we think we are leaving Florida near the beginning of April and headed to MD/PA. Don't make plans around me, but we might be able to tag along.

Hmm- we think we are leaving Florida near the beginning of April and headed to MD/PA. Don't make plans around me, but we might be able to tag along.

Doug, stay in touch and maybe we can meet up.

They will reopen March 19th this year.

• 7 months later...

We plan to go next Friday and possibly Saturday for our first trip. We're staying at the Pigeon Forge KOA. We have kids ranging from 6-13 and we love family rides, smaller coasters (for example the kids love BTMRR but hate Everest), shows, and good food. I'll gladly take any last minute tips.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:59 AM, BuckeyeFortMama said:

We plan to go next Friday and possibly Saturday for our first trip. We're staying at the Pigeon Forge KOA. We have kids ranging from 6-13 and we love family rides, smaller coasters (for example the kids love BTMRR but hate Everest), shows, and good food. I'll gladly take any last minute tips.

I have no tips.  Just wanted to say it's awesome to see a post from BFM, and to wish you a great trip!

TCD

You will enjoy that KOA, many of the sites are fairly close together but you can't beat the location.  You can ride a trolley to Dollywood from the campground for $0.50 per person.  If you have time, check out moonshine holler in Gatlinburg...sitting in a rocking chair listening to live bluegrass is the stuff.

Enjoy!