Lake Rudolph Campground/Holiday World amusement park-Memorial Day Weekend Trip 2015

Ok so I'm not the greatest at trip reports, so I am going to attempt to do this thru my phone using Tapatalk--- so if something is misspelled and weird--- my phone has a mind of its own,.... You have been warned!

So this trip originally was just supposed to be my own lil family,..... But last minute we had various friends and family join us,... So I'll introduce my family first and add other family and friends along the way,......

First off is my family, Dh Aaron, Me Becky, my oldest son Carter and youngest spitfire Daxon,..... Yes ABCD--- we couldn't of planned that if we tried--- it just kinda happened,....

f4363783c656d99a6a522919e18c7976.jpg

So We are from good ol' Indiana--- Go Hoosiers- Go Colts! We live just a tad bit south of Indianapolis in the country-- so we get the best of both worlds city life vs country pace......

Just 2 1/2 hours south of us is a lil place called Santa Clause, Indiana. I bet ya'll didn't know that we had the big guy himself live in corn country? Yes we sure do, OR they claim he does,... Don't necessarily know if there is any truth in that,...

Anyhow- Santa Clause, IN is home to two of my lol family favorites,.....

Holiday World

1616604b4d391744ff36ee55a96d6a9b.jpg

& Lake Rudolph Campground

e5394648d63569d5f6a1762dfd3a79d7.jpg

So for Memorial Day Weekend- we thought we'd share our lil getaway when we can to what's close to us. We love the Fort--- but it's quite the journey for us and honestly doesn't happen as often as we'd like it too,.. So for now we settle for these two places when we can..... So hang on as I gather all my info over the next few days and I'll show ya around. I'm current writing this from my camper here at Lake Rudolph--- tomorrow we pack up and head home, so I'll write more on my way home!

Here is our setup--- 5thwheel & husbands truck,.... We have the quad bunkhouse in the front for the boys and our bedroom is in the back---- 2 slides, 32 ft, this layout really works for us--- the boys have there space and we have ours,....

0b6efbd073d87c331cb670e582c4cd8c.jpg

Here's the boys and our dog Roxie--- all excited to get on the road south,.... ba0eaa2b01362ba960fd924c4c23ac1a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sure, every year, but it's always in the middle of the night and I'm dashing through! (Sorry for the hijack)

Love the truck.  

I think I've mentioned this before, but we LOVE Holiday World.  Cleanest amusement park we've ever been to.  It helps when the owner is right in there with the workers wiping down tables and sweeping walkways.  Is Pat Koch still active at the park?  She must be getting up there in age.  We actually have a Pat Koch bobble head at our house.  :D

Count me in. Go Hoosiers!!!

Thanks for following along

Hoo-Hoo-Hoosiers!

I'm in!

Thanks for following along!

I am here also

Santa?! - I'm IN 

Yes Santa is EVERYWHERE in this city!

Love the truck.  

I think I've mentioned this before, but we LOVE Holiday World.  Cleanest amusement park we've ever been to.  It helps when the owner is right in there with the workers wiping down tables and sweeping walkways.  Is Pat Koch still active at the park?  She must be getting up there in age.  We actually have a Pat Koch bobble head at our house.  :D

Yeah I saw Pat on Saturday waving goodbye to all of the kids as we left--- it's really a great family business that they have--- I'm sure they have a lot of fun and make a good living while there at it!

It is a great park--- "freebies" galore- I know it's basically part of our ticket, but it makes me smile every time I get me a soda and not "pay" for it

Ok back to the campground,......

(sorry but there was a long gap on the way home that we travel thru a lot of country=no signal)

Anyhow,... Here is a picture of some of the cabins--- they have several newer options that are bigger than this--- for those wanting to know more about the cabins- check out there website they have a lot of great pictures on there

5494f7cf9ec2fc5348c2b642bef9dac6.jpg

Here is one of the smaller RV rentals ,....

f78305ef5b1254d0da8ea113b9faf496.jpg

Here is one of the bathhouses or comfort stations,.....

b667ad582b4b0834d3144eae9713d5df.jpg

They aren't anything like the Fort--- they are a/c & heated---- there decent,... Each individual unit has a toilet, sink & shower. So there is a lot more privacy with regards to that--- and they were clean,.... It was Memorial Day weekend--- packed to the gills--- so the floor was a bit wet and muddy (from the rain) but a lot better than most campgrounds I grew up using,....

818bed4a1510343d64275e2145c01957.jpg

Also each bathhouse had one laundry room with 3 washers/ 3 dryers. I didn't use them- so I can't really report anything about them, other than they were there

47cc8e0275d28a9c431e722217db3cc7.jpg

This is the front office,... They have a checkin similar to the Fort--- never had a reason to go into the office,... But at the gate they came to my car and took my final payment,... Handed me the map and papers for the activities planned,..... Also they handed me my golf cart rental key. The golf cart is already at our site,... Which was nice bc it was plugged in and charged up ready to go for us,.....

e6c8c66acdd6f89469fcb975234f0775.jpg

Friday-Monday(3 nights) fees on a RV site,... Plus 4 seater golf cart rental

172cbca7bbb355223c4b4a5baa3ea43d.jpg

Here is the campground rules,....1d444a588ced575bcc59e339748285a9.jpg

FREE Wifi for campers,.....

7d6a58c9943c187ab923710b1e8cd434.jpg

List of the activities for the kiddos and families,.....

44720ce7f768f95c700734b8623d00e5.jpg

Here is the Camp store and Blitzens Kitchen phone # to order pizza- they also have other hot items and ALOT of ice cream options

927dc0b5d584b8bcc471927e637d4389.jpg

Forgot to post picture of the checkin area by the office

79825b5ddc0f8d715a8739e690d6da5c.jpg

they also offer free shuttle service to and from Holiday World,...we just park our golf cart at the gate and then walk maybe 3 minutes to the entrance,......

b251e67aa677703ee4b40ec67a598d94.jpg

7b181f2b3db41bcc5122415338b34282.jpg

Here is a paved RV site

f8e6b9eddbae262b1d0d7c7348b90313.jpg

They have paved and non paved sites together in the same loops,... So there's not preferred/premium loops-- there all together-- even tent sites can be right next to you,.... It's wherever it fits is how the lay out is,....

On the right of us we had a paved site,... Our site was gravel & on the left of us were tent campers,.... It was kinda fun to have it all together like that so you can see everyone just camping together and not segregated

85d21be70a3ef2e8029933b81c3c2cf7.jpg

Some Tent Sites--- it had a creek right behind it,.... My boys loved riding there bikes over there and catching tadpoles,....

29108154de18b7bf78c9a180257fbbab.jpg

Everything is obviously Christmas themed,... Down to the road signs

d1b57a5c2f3b9ac6d79cac15f61835a1.jpg

0c6b89328cc4b340f0c1dab58f655a95.jpg

Here is the "waterpark" that they have recently added for the kids,... We didn't visit It because we were at Holiday Worlds waterpark for the majority of the time we were there,... And honestly were just exhausted and soggy already when we got back from the parks- so we just prepared dinner and dried out for a bit

47719804d0d92fd261e7a01653173964.jpg

f4f93ea8268d74844c4d3005570f68aa.jpg

ba6119cc70b4b4bdbc223b09fac5b77a.jpg

When we were there the last time a few years ago they let you have fireworks 3 days before and after the 4th of July, looks like they changed that rule. It is a very nice place and would make a good off Disney off year trip for anyone reading.

The waterpark inside the campground is new since our last visit, which was in 2011 I think.  A nice feature if you are planning a day without heading into the parks.  

You are wise to use the cart to get close to the park entrance.  The shuttles are ok when it's quiet, but on busy weekends you can be packed in like sardines.  And when we used them before, the AC had a hard time keeping up with the heat generated by 50 sweaty and tired park goers.

What a great price especially for a holiday weekend. Btw I am sending you a message. I want to pick your brain on the ins and outs of pulling the rig down to the Fort.

Kristie---just send me a pm--- We've experienced the Fort with a tent, a popup, a Class A & in July with our 5th Wheel.....so we've traveled down with everything, lol (except a travel trailer-haven't owned that yet)

Santa Claus, IN, I've been there! Me and about 300 other Santa's helpers for a huge convention. Need I say, I'm in!

Shannon- I wondered if you ever attended there convention that they have going on.....needless to say there are ALWAYS jobs for Santa's in this town, lol

I think you've just provided the reason for Santa's rosy cheeks, sun burn.

yes.....it was PERFECT weather for us.....there was a breeze and water.....I can't complain at all---no one was burnt and we all got a nice early pre-summer tan

When we were there the last time a few years ago they let you have fireworks 3 days before and after the 4th of July, looks like they changed that rule. It is a very nice place and would make a good off Disney off year trip for anyone reading.

I know that on Friday nights Holiday World actually has a firework show....I'm sure its nothing close to Disney--but for those that don't know any difference, I'm sure those that watch it-thoroughly enjoys it!  Now at the campground, I don't know anything about there rules with regards to fireworks....I'm sure they have different rules for the 4th of July....my co-worker has a couple sites booked for that weekend, I'll see what she says when she gets back about it?

The waterpark inside the campground is new since our last visit, which was in 2011 I think.  A nice feature if you are planning a day without heading into the parks.  

You are wise to use the cart to get close to the park entrance.  The shuttles are ok when it's quiet, but on busy weekends you can be packed in like sardines.  And when we used them before, the AC had a hard time keeping up with the heat generated by 50 sweaty and tired park goers.

Yes, there were a couple of slides that were added the past 1-2 years, but the Santa's Splashdown is new for the 2015 camping season,...they also added a splash pad for the kiddos that I forgot to post a picture of. I'll have to see if I have one or can dig one up 

Yes this campground is so large,...I honestly wouldn't want to do it without a golf cart....plus we love to loop around and check everything out....my boys really enjoy it (& so does our dog, lol)

Also---yes the shuttle buses were very full, and I also don't think they are handicap accessible? They may have 1,...but the one I saw piling in was not. The golf cart parking is right at the entrance to the campground & parking lot for  Holiday World....so its really only a 3-5 minute walk depending on how fast you walk.  To compare to disney..... its probably like going to Epcot....from the bus line to the park entrance to Epcot.....about the same distance

This looks like a nice spot for a Fort Fiend GG??!!

This campground would really work for groups.....because you can get multiple sites together, and they accommodate large groups well---we saw ALOT of family sites all together this past weekend

I agree!

Who wants to start planning it?

I'm sure since it's sooo close we would love to join ya'll! This would be one GG we could actually attend,.......

Really enjoying this!!

Awesome! I'm glad I'm not boring everyone to pieces so far! I promise I'll get to the park portion of it soon,....just wanted to get the layout to everyone!

I'm in!  GREAT start!!   Sites looks great and your kiddos are adorable :)

Please clarify, the CG that you're staying at... it's attached to the actual theme park?

Thanks---I think my boys are pretty awesome,...but I am definitely BIASED! 

I'm gonna post some more pics here soon.....but to clarify the campground IS NOT apart of the theme park...but they are literally next door to each other.....I'll post a specific picture that shows one of the roller coasters are right on the lake of this campground..... They've actually had some property battles with the park vs the campground because as the park expands its realllyyyy close to the campground. As your in lines for some of the water rides, you can see some cabins....It's kinda neat actually. We thought the Fort was close to MK.....this is REALLY close! But to clarify again, they are 2 separate companies....

But to clarify again, they are 2 separate companies....

I hadn't realized until you posted this that the campground was sold last year.  Historically it was owned by the Koch family through a separate company from Holiday World itself, but you prompted me to Google it and I saw the articles that it was sold in 2014 to a company out of Michigan.  Interesting.  I guess there was a lot of fallout after Philip's death.  

I hadn't realized until you posted this that the campground was sold last year.  Historically it was owned by the Koch family through a separate company from Holiday World itself, but you prompted me to Google it and I saw the articles that it was sold in 2014 to a company out of Michigan.  Interesting.  I guess there was a lot of fallout after Philip's death.  

There have been ALOT of improvements to the campground since it was sold as well! I don't know all the ends and outs of what exactly happened, or to why it was sold.....but they have updated alot of stuff--new cabins, new playgrounds, new putt-putt, new camp store, new icecream/pizza parlor, new water-slides/splash-pad.....they've done alot!