Globetrotting: to Disneyland Paris and back with TCD

Better late, well you know . Page two is better than 10 .

NTM

That's right!  Page 2 is great!

Page two.  I am not one of those people who post then go back to read.

This is gonna be a long thread. Anyone wanna take bets on the total number of pages it'll get to?

You got that right.  This is the longest trip that I've written a report on, so that ought to mean it will be the longest TCD TR ever.  And there have been some long ones.

TCD

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is comforting to me that even though I have been gone from FF a lot, and have missed out on so much, your selfies still suck.  The familiarity of it makes me feel right at home.   Carry on.

I agree with Dave. I bet salami and cheese were on the menu. Although if she was waving that stuff around I'm sure you would have accepted. Or maybe she assumed you had already had your horse grill yo

Did you try the cinnamon rolls at that quaint little coffee shop?  

Since we have such a long way to go, we need another update today, right?

We're still in Dublin.  DD is in that store trying to spend all off her graduation money, and I'm out on Grafton Street people watching.

A street performer came and set up shop.  This guy was pretty old, but he was pretty well dressed for a street performer.  Definitely classier than what you might see in Times Square, Key West of Bourbon Street:

5%2012%2014%20049_zpsdni0vzss.jpg

The old dude did a little dancing, and didn't attract much attention:

5%2012%2014%20050_zpsuwipohvv.jpg

There was more excitement over to my left, where a car tried to drive in to the pedestrian street:

5%2012%2014%20051_zpse7ulxqae.jpg

That driver earned a TCD Real Man of Genius Award!

In the meantime, the old dude in the purple pants started to lean over:

5%2012%2014%20052_zpsxbdjey1n.jpg

Check out the Irish fitness nut smoking while he walks his bike.  There's a lot more public smoking in Europe than in the US.  I thought Dublin was bad.  But, then I went to Paris:

5%2012%2014%20053_zpslwlmphst.jpg

I'm sure there is some kind of trick to this, but that old guy in the purple pants sure could lean over far without falling:

5%2012%2014%20055_zpsgjx9gts9.jpg

Finally, the DD came out of the store, and we continued on our walk to our ultimate destination.  The Trinity College of Dublin (TCD):

5%2012%2014%20057_zpsmcnqtrs9.jpg

The big attraction here is something called the Book of Kells.  It's a really, really, old book with elaborate illustrations accompanying the new testament gospels.   It costs a few euros to see the book, and you're not allowed to take photos.  As with all museums, there are a lot of fancy displays leading up to the main event.  This is a poster outside of the room where they keep the book, and shows what the illustrations in the book look like:

5%2012%2014%20060_zps2uryoy4o.jpg

When we finally got to the glass case where two pages of the book were on display, I understood why there are no photos allowed.  They don't want people to be able to see what a ripoff all of this is and not come in here to see the two pages from the old book for themselves.  All I have to say is:  Big Whoop- I got to see two old pages from an old book.

After that, we got to see this recreation of Hogwarts they just finished:

5%2012%2014%20062_zps6is0febh.jpg

Just kidding.  That's the old college reading room.  And those are real books.  I have to admit that I found this to be pretty cool.  And we were allowed to take non-flash photos in this room.

They had busts of all your favorite authors in here:

5%2012%2014%20063_zpsd496bjgf.jpg

And posters full of all kinds of fun facts:

5%2012%2014%20065_zpszu9b5ybh.jpg

They had more marble busts in here than you could shake a sheleighly at:

5%2012%2014%20069_zps3s0ikgxt.jpg

After that exciting tour, we were back out on the campus.  Trinity College Dublin looks like it has the same issues with late 20th century architecture clashing with their classic buildings:

5%2012%2014%20070_zpsqlky0los.jpg

The campus looks a lot like a college campus you could find in the US:

5%2012%2014%20071_zpsdbx0z0gf.jpg

Complete with the ugly modern "art:"

5%2012%2014%20072_zpspcucctmk.jpg

By this time, it was getting to be near lunchtime.  At least according to the clock.  Our interior clocks were pretty messed up.  DD wanted to search out a place where the boys from the band One Direction like to eat.  It's called Nando's.  We have since found out that they have these restaurants in the US in Maryland and Virginia.  If you get a chance to try it- I recommend it.  Very good stuff.

On the way to Nando's we passed a very inviting pub:

5%2012%2014%20073_zpsn7ityl4f.jpg

And some old church:

5%2012%2014%20074_zpsfkm4czun.jpg

5%2012%2014%20075_zpswafpf9wa.jpg

We found another statue.  I liked this one better than the modern art or the famine one:

5%2012%2014%20076_zpsqvypfjhk.jpg

That's Molly Mallone, in case you're wondering:

5%2012%2014%20077_zpsbq9xhn3d.jpg

I don't know her story, or why she wore such little clothing.

We found Nando's right down the street from here.  We both ended up liking it a lot.

When we checked in to the hotel, our room wasn't ready.  By now, it would be.  So we decided to head back that way.

I don't know where this guy got the sand, or what he was trying to sculpt, but he gets to be in this report, because I didn't expect to see a sand sculpture in Dublin:

5%2012%2014%20078_zpspwlymlhh.jpg

We are heading back to the arch into St. Stephen's Green:

5%2012%2014%20079_zpsve9yxqaz.jpg

These poor Dublin folks really must not get to see much sun.  They were everywhere around the park, just basking in it:

5%2012%2014%20080_zpsaxp0dtt2.jpg

It turns out that rock thing we saw earlier was a monument to some other dead guy.  I can't read his name, but he died in 1915:

5%2012%2014%20081_zpssmzslzfj.jpg

The waterfowl were really enjoying their designated area:

5%2012%2014%20082_zpsu5urys6o.jpg

5%2012%2014%20083_zpscwhop58v.jpg

More folks enjoying the afternoon:

5%2012%2014%20084_zpsaggm8fpz.jpg

This building was called the Summer House.  I'm not sure what happens in it, but it was nice:

5%2012%2014%20086_zpsnkjcuc9j.jpg

We headed out the same way we had come in earlier, past the famine and Wolfe Tone statues, and came out on the street.  Look at how that building across the way is covered by ivy- very pretty:

5%2012%2014%20090_zpsolt28xts.jpg

This restaurant was right around the corner from our hotel.  It's called Eddie Rocket's, and looks suspiciously like a Johnny Rocket's.  As best I can tell, they are not the same company:

5%2012%2014%20091_zpsngiqeaqq.jpg

Next up, we will see the hotel, and later we will head out to a pub for a Guinness.

TCD

Paris is the one I am missing. I just got back from Anaheim, Hong Kong, and Tokyo.

Sweet.  There will definitely be some good Disneyland Paris coverage later on in this report.

Boy you have this TR on "High Speed". Looking like a great and enjoyable trip.

True. But, we have a long way to go. I wanted to get some momentum going.

TCD

Yeah hopefully we'll get to take W to Europe one day. 

Luckily CP and I got to make a trip there before he was born, we'll definitely go back, we loved Italy too much not to.

Ahh....Dublin's fair city where the girls are so pretty...

We found another statue.  I liked this one better than the modern art or the famine one:

5%2012%2014%20076_zpsqvypfjhk.jpg

That's Molly Mallone, in case you're wondering:

TCD

There's just something about that statue that I really really like, maybe a couple things.

WBI

Edited to add: After reading this I had to break out my Creel music and listen to Molly Malone!

Page three bragging rights.  Ah well.  Better late than never!

The stone dedicated to the guy who died in 1915 is a memorial to Jeremiah O'Donovan Rossa.  You can read more about him here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_O%27Donovan_Rossa

And "Molly Malone" is now Dublin's unofficial anthem, according to that most reliable source, wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly_Malone

For those of you who didn't grow up with a father singing folk music to you every chance he got (and oh how I miss him!), here is a recording of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diUkiTs1gxM

Same here, Nacole!  As much as I love flying, I can't think of being confined in a plane for hours.

Oh see... I am the opposite.  Boat and planes, do NOT like either of them.  It only seems to get worse, the older I get.  Tough as my family is on the other side of the country :(

So I'm wonderIng. Does wiling the day away relaxing in a beautiful park possess enough benefit to offset all the damage done by the smoking? I'm amazed how prevalent it is. Oh, and you were really heavy on the green filter in those park pics. Lol

So I'm wonderIng. Does wiling the day away relaxing in a beautiful park possess enough benefit to offset all the damage done by the smoking? I'm amazed how prevalent it is. Oh, and you were really heavy on the green filter in those park pics. Lol

The smoking in China was INSANE.  I mean people just walking around our fancy hotel smoking.  It was so strange.