Nicole, I just hooked up our Rockwood to the ram 2500 today for the first time. Had to adjust the wdh with the new shank I had to get. If you decide to swap manufacturers, you would like the 6.7 cummins. It is quiet and you can't feel the camper behind you. I only notice it is there in the mirrors and when I stop (still working on finding the sweet spot on the brake controller).

How far from home are you looking and how far are you willing to go.? I bet a lot of fiends will help test drive and check things out for you.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes... we're having a lot of fun :)

I think it's a great color, just not for a truck :D Go Vols!

To me, a buyback is the same thing as a lemon. Will they disclose the reason for the buyback? Also, if it is a buyback, it probably will decrease its resell value. Just a thought. For GMC, I have not

Yep... unfortunately, out of those 3 dealerships, there is only one possibility for a diesel F250... but it's a 2008 which was a new model for Ford, but also the worst out of the '08 - '10.  Also, we would prefer an '11 because of the increased torque and the addition of using the DEF fluid (which, from the research we've done) helps with gas mileage.

As I've said, it's very frustrating as they are very tough to find... and when you do find an '11, the price is typically pretty high because supply is low.  We've spent hours searching.

Appreciate the help though!! :)

Good to hear that the Ram worked well for you.  Ford (F250 2011 or newer) and the Ram 2500 (2013 or newer) is what we're looking for.  We'd go 300 miles out.

Well I can tell yall have been doing your home work. Even knowing 08 was the worst of the 6.4 which is true. Def really did help the mpg. Just so you know pulling our camper 2200 miles we only used 2.5 gallons of def. Not pulling it last a lot longer.

Good to hear that the Ram worked well for you.  Ford (F250 2011 or newer) and the Ram 2500 (2013 or newer) is what we're looking for.  We'd go 300 miles out.

These ones are available in Lake City FL.

wUmgPZ4l.jpg

This one is around the corner from my house, but I don't think it's for sale.

It might give your kids nightmares though.

PSK2fEJl.jpg?1

DzhYzHAl.jpg?2

The middle skull is 3-D

Well I can tell yall have been doing your home work. Even knowing 08 was the worst of the 6.4 which is true. Def really did help the mpg. Just so you know pulling our camper 2200 miles we only used 2.5 gallons of def. Not pulling it last a lot longer.

Yes... we are tired.

These ones are available in Lake City FL.

wUmgPZ4l.jpg

This one is around the corner from my house, but I don't think it's for sale.

It might give your kids nightmares though.

PSK2fEJl.jpg?1

DzhYzHAl.jpg?2

The middle skull is 3-D

Oh mercy... that gives ME nightmares!  :blink:

Travisma that is AWESOME.....I am coming down. Then I could tow the camper and the new boat :) (don't read this post NaCole lol).

If you came home with something like that, I bet you'd be testing out the bed in the new camper a lot sooner than you had planned, or at the very least the couch in your living room!

Nacole, check northern for dealers for f250 and 350 again. There is a MASSIVE influx of Canadian trucks right now due to exchange rates. I stopped at Washington ford in Pittsburgh a few days ago and they have 50 used super duties. All were clean late model and many certified.

Nacole, check northern for dealers for f250 and 350 again. There is a MASSIVE influx of Canadian trucks right now due to exchange rates. I stopped at Washington ford in Pittsburgh a few days ago and they have 50 used super duties. All were clean late model and many certified.

But what about salt damage which can take some time to show up? I know my ex brother inlaw always went south to buy used cars for his dealership because of the lack of road salt damage.

But what about salt damage which can take some time to show up? I know my ex brother inlaw always went south to buy used cars for his dealership because of the lack of road salt damage.

This....in a former life I  used to be a mechanic... Slush melting and dropping down onto me down the back of my shirt made me get out of it (that and the sheer stupidity of auto engineers - especially Ford and Volvo - It's obvious they never had to work on stuff they designed) but I have seen so much corrosion due to salt, especially brake lines and the E-brake cable.  Many vehicles would fail the Pennsylvania Safety inspection due to this.

Also, I think that year you could get a 3.42, 3.73, and 4.10 rear end in the 2500. If you crawl up under it, there should be a label somewhere on the rear differential or axle that will tell you what it was equipped with if they dealer can't tell you. I would try and aim for a 3.73 if possible. The 3.42 increases your mpg but you also lose some low end torque. The 4.10 has the opposite effect. Will have your peak torque lower but you lose mpg. The 3.73 is the best of both worlds.

Thanks all.

Now just trying to make a list of pros/cons and answer the questions like, how much torque do we really need, higher monthly payment to save at the pumps, is exterior color really that important??   

Hopefully we'll find a good fit soon, as we can stop asking the questions :)

Not as much torque and payload as the 2013 and newer. I think it was 650 ft lbs and towing capacities are about 2k pounds lower. Not sure if they had coil spring rear ends that year or not. It is a good truck if you find one that was well taken care of.

coil springs in the rear started in 2014.

Does anyone have any comments, on the 2011 Ram 2500?   We had been looking at 2013, but found a 2011 that's interesting....

Google "Death Wobble" on youtube.  Watch it and then ask that question again.  I had a 2007 that we loved, but got the Death Wobble about 100k miles and dropped $1500 into it to no avail - read where they updated the geometry of the new (2013 and up) Ram's and traded my 07 in for a 13.  Absolutely loved the truck - got the first wobble at 21K miles.   Had it lined up hoping it was just the caster - nope.  Had to cancel a beach trip with our Camper and scramble last minute to find a beach house for a LOT more $$$ so the week not wasted.

I am in the process of looking for another truck.  I will never again buy a Dodge.  In the spirit of complete disclosure, I have owned all three (Ford, Dodge, Chevy) and have read reports of Ford's doing this also but it  is rare.  Chevrolet's don't.  

I can stand the thought of an engine that blows up - can't stand the thought of losing steering and control going 65 miles and hour down the road pulling 13K.  Not worth my life nor anyone else's...

Google "Death Wobble" on youtube.  Watch it and then ask that question again.  I had a 2007 that we loved, but got the Death Wobble about 100k miles and dropped $1500 into it to no avail - read where they updated the geometry of the new (2013 and up) Ram's and traded my 07 in for a 13.  Absolutely loved the truck - got the first wobble at 21K miles.   Had it lined up hoping it was just the caster - nope.  Had to cancel a beach trip with our Camper and scramble last minute to find a beach house for a LOT more $$$ so the week not wasted.

I am in the process of looking for another truck.  I will never again buy a Dodge.  In the spirit of complete disclosure, I have owned all three (Ford, Dodge, Chevy) and have read reports of Ford's doing this also but it  is rare.  Chevrolet's don't.  

I can stand the thought of an engine that blows up - can't stand the thought of losing steering and control going 65 miles and hour down the road pulling 13K.  Not worth my life nor anyone else's...

Thank you... I was going to reach out to you, as I had heard you may have had a bad experience.  Appreciate the feedback; I'll share this with Tom.

Not as much torque and payload as the 2013 and newer. I think it was 650 ft lbs and towing capacities are about 2k pounds lower. Not sure if they had coil spring rear ends that year or not. It is a good truck if you find one that was well taken care of.

The rear coil springs in the 2500 did not start until 2014.  A 2011 will have leaf springs.  The Cummins was upgraded in 2013, but will still be a great engine in a 2011.