Okay.... we've got the black one listed below and two others.  Here are the stats:

1)  2011 F250 with 112k miles price about $37.500 (includes us buying news tires).  Tom's color preference:  Black on Black.   No warranty.

2)  2011 F250 with 62k miles price $43,000.  Exterior is white, not Tom's favorite   This one is certified, so there is some warranty left on it.

3)  2013 F250 with 72k miles price $45,000.  Black on Black with navigation (the other two above did not have this option).  Because of the year, some warranty left on it.

4)  2012 F250 with 31k miles price $48,000.  Grey on Black with navigation and a sunroof.   Here was the text on the ad: ruck comes with ford extended factory warranty 7 years 125k. And 45k mile ford maibtanxe contract. Truck has been serviced at for every 5k miles on the nose. Truck was bought in November of 12, so warranty good till 11-19.

Thoughts on these four??   Keep in mind, budget is an issue.

Be aware that there was an issue within a specific manufacturing window on the 2011 Fords in which the glow plug tips would break off and fall into the engine, causing major damage.  I'm only aware of this because TN22 has a 2011 F250 and told me about the potential problem as his was built during this window.  He got a great deal, so opted to take the chance. You might reach out to him.  That being said, at 112K, I'd highly doubt this would be a problem. Like Lone-Star said, the 10K difference in price would cover the cost of a lot of repairs, but - Less Miles and Warranty is always better, amen!

July 2010 to March 2011 is manufacturing timeline for the above mentioned issue. This is covered under warranty by 5 years from date of sale or 100k.

My date of sale was June 2011 and when I bought it had 76k miles. So I have some runway on warranty.

Regarding price- my truck was on the lot for 39k and I did not pay anywhere near the asking price. Mine is a F350 not a 250.

The prices you have listed seem high to me and I agree that if I was going to pay north of 40k I would go ahead and buy new. Your financing options are typically better along with full warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes... we're having a lot of fun :)

I think it's a great color, just not for a truck :D Go Vols!

To me, a buyback is the same thing as a lemon. Will they disclose the reason for the buyback? Also, if it is a buyback, it probably will decrease its resell value. Just a thought. For GMC, I have not

Took us darn near 8 weeks but... purchase finally made!!  We opted for the higher mileage truck above (2011 F250 Lariat), but got them to give us a deal on an extended 2 year warranty; even with that, we were a good $7k less than the next option and the monthly payment was a huge factor in our purchase.  These trucks are pricey... and a pain to find here in GA!  Now, if we lived in TX...we could have bought the thing 5x over  :rolleyes:  Unfortunately, we had to pass on a couple of local offers (private sellers) early on because we hadn't sold Tom's car yet and needed to do so before buying the truck however... Praise God, the search is now over!

We made our maiden voyage this past weekend to SC (around 400 miles each way); I found the ride to be a bit bouncy, but that may be because we need to adjust our WDH a little more.  Plus a good portion of the rode was very bumpy cement  :wacko:   But as for towing, all I have to say is... yes, boys... size DOES make a difference!  :P   It was AWESOME to step on the gas and truck actually pulled!  Getting on the freeway on-ramp and then up to speeds of 60mph??  NO problem!!  Going up hills was nothing for this beast... the cruise control was set to 68 and it stayed there (without strain).  So yes, we're doing our happy dance  :bf-birddancingsmiley:

Thanks for all the help Fiends!!

20150815_142941_zpsivthg2t9.jpg

Oh... also, one HUGE disappointment with the F250:  It does NOT have the LATCH system for car seats.  Seriously??  I didn't even think to check for that, I mean... it's a 2011.  Unbelievable that Ford wouldn't take the small time and cost, to add such an important feature :(

Oh... also, one HUGE disappointment with the F250:  It does NOT have the LATCH system for car seats.  Seriously??  I didn't even think to check for that, I mean... it's a 2011.  Unbelievable that Ford wouldn't take the small time and cost, to add such an important feature :(

Are they hidden in the crack between the seat back and bottom?  My Dodge has them there and not floor anchors.

Are they hidden in the crack between the seat back and bottom?  My Dodge has them there and not floor anchors.

Nope :(   We searched and searched...then googled online to find that Ford only put the tether anchor strap behind the headrest, but not the lower latch system.  Not good.  Read this recommendation for another Ford owner online a couple of years back; we might try it:

I took some chain and ran it to the seat mounting bolts and put the latch buckles to the chain and then also used the seat belts. I have 3 car seats across my back seat and they do NOT move.  It is sad that Ford does not think they are needed in our trucks.  Do they think we don't have kids.

Nope :(   We searched and searched...then googled online to find that Ford only put the tether anchor strap behind the headrest, but not the lower latch system.  Not good.  Read this recommendation for another Ford owner online a couple of years back; we might try it:

I took some chain and ran it to the seat mounting bolts and put the latch buckles to the chain and then also used the seat belts. I have 3 car seats across my back seat and they do NOT move.  It is sad that Ford does not think they are needed in our trucks.  Do they think we don't have kids.

Cant you just use the seat belts?

We made our maiden voyage this past weekend to SC (around 400 miles each way); I found the ride to be a bit bouncy, but that may be because we need to adjust our WDH a little more.  Plus a good portion of the rode was very bumpy cement  :wacko:   But as for towing, all I have to say is... yes, boys... size DOES make a difference!  :P   It was AWESOME to step on the gas and truck actually pulled!  Getting on the freeway on-ramp and then up to speeds of 60mph??  NO problem!!  Going up hills was nothing for this beast... the cruise control was set to 68 and it stayed there (without strain).  So yes, we're doing our happy dance 

Congrats! So glad you guys were able to find something that suits you. Now you can start looking at bigger campers!

Now, I'll be the party pooper.. your tires on the camper are likely only rated for 65mph. It can be tough, but I stick to 62-64mph because of that.

Congrats! So glad you guys were able to find something that suits you. Now you can start looking at bigger campers!

Now, I'll be the party pooper.. your tires on the camper are likely only rated for 65mph. It can be tough, but I stick to 62-64mph because of that.

Yeah...I thought of that as I was cruising along at 68 :(    I'll double check, but you're probably right.

Cant you just use the seat belts?

Yes... and no.  Our son's car seat you can use the seat belt, but I honestly feel like the latch is safer.  Installed in my SUV (with the latch), I cannot move that sucker.  In the truck, I could not get the seat belt to "lock" (I'm guessing it only does this if you slam on the breaks) so it would have slipped around had Tom and I not figured a way to latch one side (we were able to clip it onto a metal piece that had a hole (not the actual latch system) on the outside of the seat and the inside we took a strap from the car seat and tied a knot around the metal base for the actual truck seat. Then we used the seat belt as advised by the car seat manufacturer.  Our daughter on the other hand needs a booster seat in the Ford, so the shoulder strap is not hitting her neck and unless you can sure it with the latch system, it's not secure... it's basically as if she was sitting on a book and in an accident, I don't think those booster seats are safe.  In my humble opinion, I think ALL booster seats should be required to use the latch system.  We'll get it figured out, just really frustrating that Ford has taken this extra step... 

When you pulled the seat belt out entirely, it didn't click when you retracted it and locked when you pulled it out again? When we use seat belts, that's what we have always had to do.

In my in-laws' car, we use a ratchet thing to tighten the belt beyond what we could pull. I've been doing some reading and people say that this damages the seat belt. We haven't seen it, but I can't say it hasn't happened for other people.

We have always been able to get car seats to NOT move when you grab the seat and pull/push on it.

Is there a car seat installer that you can contact? We did that just prior to my daughter being born. She helped teach us to install the car seat so that it is absolutely secure. She actually had us forgo the LATCH system and instead used the center seat with seat belt on our Durango.

Took us darn near 8 weeks but... purchase finally made!!  We opted for the higher mileage truck above (2011 F250 Lariat), but got them to give us a deal on an extended 2 year warranty; even with that, we were a good $7k less than the next option and the monthly payment was a huge factor in our purchase.  These trucks are pricey... and a pain to find here in GA!  Now, if we lived in TX...we could have bought the thing 5x over  :rolleyes:  Unfortunately, we had to pass on a couple of local offers (private sellers) early on because we hadn't sold Tom's car yet and needed to do so before buying the truck however... Praise God, the search is now over!

We made our maiden voyage this past weekend to SC (around 400 miles each way); I found the ride to be a bit bouncy, but that may be because we need to adjust our WDH a little more.  Plus a good portion of the rode was very bumpy cement  :wacko:   But as for towing, all I have to say is... yes, boys... size DOES make a difference!  :P   It was AWESOME to step on the gas and truck actually pulled!  Getting on the freeway on-ramp and then up to speeds of 60mph??  NO problem!!  Going up hills was nothing for this beast... the cruise control was set to 68 and it stayed there (without strain).  So yes, we're doing our happy dance  :bf-birddancingsmiley:

Thanks for all the help Fiends!!

Congrats. Glad you finally found what you were looking for.

When you pulled the seat belt out entirely, it didn't click when you retracted it and locked when you pulled it out again? When we use seat belts, that's what we have always had to do. In my in-laws' car, we use a ratchet thing to tighten the belt beyond what we could pull. I've been doing some reading and people say that this damages the seat belt. We haven't seen it, but I can't say it hasn't happened for other people. We have always been able to get car seats to NOT move when you grab the seat and pull/push on it. Is there a car seat installer that you can contact? We did that just prior to my daughter being born. She helped teach us to install the car seat so that it is absolutely secure. She actually had us forgo the LATCH system and instead used the center seat with seat belt on our Durango.

I have to look at it a little closer.  We actually purchased the truck late Wednesday night and drove out of town early Thursday... so our patience was done when we didn't see the latch system in place.  All I remember is using the seat belt and being so upset because I could move the car seat around with one hand :(    Thankfully Tom found the hole in the metal on the outside and I was able tie a knot on the inside, or I'm not sure if I would have felt comfortable driving in it. 

Congrats & enjoy!!!!! Best of luck and is it hard to get that smile off your face when towing?

Haha... yes.  It's pretty great pressing on the gas and the truck actually moves :)

When you pulled the seat belt out entirely, it didn't click when you retracted it and locked when you pulled it out again? When we use seat belts, that's what we have always had to do. In my in-laws' car, we use a ratchet thing to tighten the belt beyond what we could pull. I've been doing some reading and people say that this damages the seat belt. We haven't seen it, but I can't say it hasn't happened for other people. We have always been able to get car seats to NOT move when you grab the seat and pull/push on it. Is there a car seat installer that you can contact? We did that just prior to my daughter being born. She helped teach us to install the car seat so that it is absolutely secure. She actually had us forgo the LATCH system and instead used the center seat with seat belt on our Durango.

I have to look at it a little closer.  We actually purchased the truck late Wednesday night and drove out of town early Thursday... so our patience was done when we didn't see the latch system in place.  All I remember is using the seat belt and being so upset because I could move the car seat around with one hand :(    Thankfully Tom found the hole in the metal on the outside and I was able tie a knot on the inside, or I'm not sure if I would have felt comfortable driving in it. 

Congrats & enjoy!!!!! Best of luck and is it hard to get that smile off your face when towing?

Haha... yes.  It's pretty great pressing on the gas and the truck actually moves :)

Completely understandable having frustration at what should be a fun time! I know how spastic wife and I are about getting car seats "secure" that I can also relate to the angst and frustration at getting it all tightened up. Glad you guys were able to get something to work. (hugs)

With the granddaughters, we are finally out of the car seat business! 

One is real seat sized, and the other one has a booster.

They love my newer truck with the back seat.

One thing I just noticed with the 4 door truck, is the lack of air bag deactivation for the passenger seat in the front.  My 2 door 2002 had the switch to disable that air bag.