One last question. What is the best way to handle Atlanta. We will be coming in on a Saturday morning. We have talked about going around. Any suggestions?

On a Saturday morning we would say plow right down the middle.  Weekdays the by-pass would be better.  You would loose a good bit of time going around and traffic shouldn't be bad then.  We'll pray for good traffic from Atlanta to Macon.  It could take one hour or three!   :unsure:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly depends on how big a difference you'll have in gas mileage and speed.  Both vary quite a bit for us from car travel to towing.

Our trip is about 1400 miles. 

I can do it in just under 20 hours driving a car, including gas/pit stops only (no naps).  It's roughly 24-25 hours of driving when towing. That includes our speed (nearly all highway) going down considerably from 70-75-ish to more like 55-60, and roughly the same amount of stops for gas - although they take longer as the truck has a much bigger gas tank (pretty much double) and also *everybody* makes a pit stop... including the 3 dogs.  B)

holy crap!! 24hrs from up here while towing. Best we have done from here is 34 hours. Mainly because the kids need to stop constantly. Want to trade the 3 kids for the 3 dogs when we head down for halloween? :P

holy crap!! 24hrs from up here while towing. Best we have done from here is 34 hours. Mainly because the kids need to stop constantly. Want to trade the 3 kids for the 3 dogs when we head down for halloween? :P

Not trying to be Snarky, but I guess we really are blessed living in FL and only having a few minutes to 7 hour drive (Pensacola) to get to the Fort!

It takes me about 1 1/2 hours driveway to Outpost towing my little old PUP at 55-58 MPH.

All of you driving multiple hours upon hours, or multiple days are true road warriors and dedicated Fort fans.

Now that being said, we are looking at a road trip to NY next month (non camper) that will be at least 1200 miles.  We plan on stopping 1 night, something we haven't done in the past, but I don't think I can do a non stop drive any longer. Especially with  6 and 10 year old granddaughters. 

Just an FYI, the older you get, the size of your gas tank won't matter. We've got about 100 mile limit at the most before we have to stop and empty ourselves. So we usually fill up the truck about every other stop.

This is so true, when I ride my motorcycle(2002 HD Sportster) to Myrtle Beach. I get about 120 miles a tank and it is time to fill the bike and time to empty me.

My Disney trip in November I plan on making two stops, one in Richmond, VA area, and than Florida/Georgia state line area. the way home however is going to be a one stop, hopefully South of the Border area and I should be good. Pulling a new camper this trip, so wanted to try and take it easy on the way down.

Best Regards,

Norm

I guess my family travels great. It is 830 miles from our driveway to the Fort and it takes us 14 and a half hours. We always break it up going down as we usually leave on the afternoon before check in when the children let out of school. We then drive for 8 hours and stop over at a rest area. Coming home we drive it all in one day, leaving at 8am Fort time and pulling in the drive around 11:30 home time.

One last question. What is the best way to handle Atlanta. We will be coming in on a Saturday morning. We have talked about going around. Any suggestions?

We go strait through on 75, not afraid to use the HOV lane if needed :)

Just an FYI, the older you get, the size of your gas tank won't matter. We've got about 100 mile limit at the most before we have to stop and empty ourselves. So we usually fill up the truck about every other stop.

That also applies for the younger ones :D

If you use the bypass be careful at the south end in the area of the airport, watch signs carefully, it is a little confusing.

It takes me 20 hours to get form my home in South Bend Indiana to the Fort. 1150 miles give or take a few. I always run 31 to 465 east to I65 to I24 to I75 then the Fl turnpike. the only mountain in this route is mount eagle and it is not an issue just slow down and you will be just fine it is only 55mph at that point anyway. The trucks have to use the Atl bypass you don't and it will save you time to stay on I75 and go straight through ATL. but don't do that in Macon once you get there the Macon Bypass is the faster route. I have made this trip with my camper in as little as 18 hours but I was alone and didn't stop much. I have found that anytime past macon is a great place to stop for the night. I you stop before Macon the computer traffic sucks the next morning. Most of the trip I run 65mph and get between 11 and 14 mpg depending on the wind speed and direction Im pulling the picture on the left but run diesel. hope this helps. Keep in mind once you get to the warmer climate it is hell on your TT's tires make sure they are inflated properly and that they stay cool. It really sucks changing a tire on I75. 

Keep in mind once you get to the warmer climate it is hell on your TT's tires make sure they are inflated properly and that they stay cool. It really sucks changing a tire on I75. 

Does anyone use an infrared thermometer to check their tires?

I got one to use in my pizza oven to check the stone temp, but I saw on a PUP web site that they use it to check to see if the bearings and/or tires are overheating.

Of course, they didn't specify what a normal temp range is!

I got mine at Harbor freight with a coupon for $25

My hope is to limit breaks and food in the car. Mess but my crew at a stop could add 45 minutes to an already long trip.

Generally speaking, if we stop for fuel (we also hit the bathroom)- we lose 15 minutes if my son is asleep or stays in the car; 20 if he's awake or wants out. A quick food stop is 30-45 minutes. And if we're in for a marathon day, we'll stop for a long meal stop- like 45-90 minutes.

For the most part, we don't eat in the car. A snack here or there, but meals are stop the car and sit down (usually grabbing something in the camper to make).

One of my favorite stops was coming back from Key West. We pre-made hamburger and heated it on the stove for tacos. HOT dinner and it wasn't a restaurant. WINNING!

Not trying to be Snarky, but I guess we really are blessed living in FL and only having a few minutes to 7 hour drive (Pensacola) to get to the Fort!

It takes me about 1 1/2 hours driveway to Outpost towing my little old PUP at 55-58 MPH.

All of you driving multiple hours upon hours, or multiple days are true road warriors and dedicated Fort fans.

Now that being said, we are looking at a road trip to NY next month (non camper) that will be at least 1200 miles. We plan on stopping 1 night, something we haven't done in the past, but I don't think I can do a non stop drive any longer. Especially with 6 and 10 year old granddaughters.

2 1/2 hours for us it's nice

:rofl2:

Well it's 24 hours of driving - throw a 4-6 hour nap in the middle.  But yeah, the deal walking out the door is that gas stops are "it" so plan accordingly. 

That's why we only do it once a year.

Unless I get a hair brained idea and drive down for WWW or for 24 hours... but then I'm at least smart enough not to tow the camper down. 

LOL! When Nicole and I drove down for WWW I told her there were no "extra" stops, and to plan her fluid intake accordingly.

I was kidding... sort of.  B)

Well it's 24 hours of driving - throw a 4-6 hour nap in the middle.  But yeah, the deal walking out the door is that gas stops are "it" so plan accordingly. 

It has always been that way with us. The gas stop will last long enough to fill the tank and take care of any personal needs.

We were fortunate when our kids were young that they adapted well to the longer drives. For the most part they would drop off to sleep about ten minutes after we left the house and would wake up when we stopped for gas. Made for some nice and peaceful drives.

The trucks have to use the Atl bypass you don't and it will save you time to stay on I75 and go straight through ATL. but don't do that in Macon once you get there the Macon Bypass is the faster route.

The by-pass is 475.  It is quick and the roads are in better condition that I 75 through the city.  If you need gas or food the Zebulon Road exit is a good place to stop.  (Also has a Wal-mart, Kroger, Lowe's (east side of the interstate), and -I believe- an auto supply store (west side).    

We were fortunate when our kids were young that they adapted well to the longer drives. For the most part they would drop off to sleep about ten minutes after we left the house and would wake up when we stopped for gas. Made for some nice and peaceful drives.

We've been super fortunate that all our dogs are amazingly good travelers and always have been.  We don't hear boo out of them while driving and everybody knows the drill - get out, stretch your legs and do your thing, get back in and get a cookie. 

We used to stop for meals but then decided we didn't want to waste the time.  It's 2 days on the road - we can survive on sandwiches and snacks that long.  :)

Does anyone use an infrared thermometer to check their tires?

I got one to use in my pizza oven to check the stone temp, but I saw on a PUP web site that they use it to check to see if the bearings and/or tires are overheating.

Of course, they didn't specify what a normal temp range is!

I got mine at Harbor freight with a coupon for $25

Yes! I use one. My tires run in the low 120 degree range at each stop I try and check them. FWIW my truck tires run about the same temperature, so I figure that is normal for my setup.  I don't know if you can predetermine what yours "should" be, but my advice would be to take a temp reading at each gas stop and keep track of what they are. That doesn't help much on the maiden voyage, but that is the only way I would think you could determine a baseline. Maybe some others can share their temp readings?