From Deadline.com...

‘Maleficent’ Sequel On Disney Drawing Board As Linda Woolverton Makes Scripting Deal
by Mike Fleming Jr June 15, 2015 3:06pm

EXCLUSIVE: Disney has begun moving toward a sequel to Maleficent, the 2014 blockbuster fairy tale that starred Angelina Jolie as the winged title character. The studio has engaged Linda Woolverton to write the sequel, and I’m told the studio is keeping Jolie in the loop and that the sequel will be written for her to reprise.

That will be a whole different conversation, of course, and they would have to make a new deal with her to reprise. She developed but didn’t star in sequels to either Salt or Wanted but Disney is moving forward and hoping it gets a fairy tale ending. Joe Roth is back as the film’s producer, and it’s unclear whether Robert Stromberg will be back. He’s the Oscar-winning production designer who made his directing debut.

Not surprising that another Maleficent would be a major priority for the studio’s revisionist fairy tale slate. It was a pricey film at a reported $180 million, but Maleficent grossed nearly $760 million worldwide. Woolverton is repped by WME.

http://deadline.com/2015/06/maleficent-sequel-angelina-jolie-linda-woolverton-disney-1201443162/

I saw it and both the DW and I thought it was pretty good as far a the quality of the movie. With that I have to say I don't really like the trend to reinvent the original story plots in movies.

I don't particularly like that either.  It's like re-writing history to give it a different outcome.

Have you seen what they are doing on the Disney Channel?  New movie coming out called Descendants, it's going to be the kids of the Disney Villains.

Gee, wonder where they copied that idea from.  Can someone say Monster High?

In the present day idyllic kingdom of Auradon, the benevolent teenaged son of the King and Queen (Beast and Belle from Disney’s iconic "Beauty and the Beast") is poised to take the throne. His first official proclamation: offer a chance at redemption to the trouble-making offspring of Cruella De Vil, Maleficent, The Evil Queen, and Jafar, who have been imprisoned on the Isle of the Lost, a forbidden island where all the other villains, sidekicks, evil step-mothers and step-sisters are placed upon their defeat.

These villainous descendants are allowed into the kingdom to attend prep school alongside the offspring of iconic Disney heroes. However, the evil teens face a dilemma: Should they follow in their nefarious parents’ footsteps and help all the villains regain power by stealing the Fairy Godmother's magic wand, or embrace their innate goodness and save the kingdom?