Fort Desoto County Park in St Petersburg FL has some gulf side sites.  We camped there years ago, been trying to get back.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/camping.htm

The person I bought my BAL from said this is a great place to go.

It's near Jacksonville FL

Fort Clinch State Park

2601 Atlantic Ave., Fernandina Beach, FL 32034. (904) 277-7274.

The campground features 61 sites in two separate campgrounds – 40 tree-shaded sites in the Amelia River Campground and 21 sites tucked behind the dunes on the ocean in the Atlantic Beach Campground.  Each site has a fire ring, picnic table, water and electric hookups. Each campground has its own dump station, soft drink vending machines and new bathhouses with showers and washing machines.  Pets are permitted in the campground. (Maximum RV length is 40 feet.)

Sites are $26 per night, plus tax.  50% off for Florida residents 65 or older, or if you are certified for federal disability.  Reservations accepted by phone, 800-326-3521, or online through ReserveAmerica.

Reserve early.  This park is on a beach, so you can expect considerable difficulty reserving a site in summer.  Winter can also pose a challenge, though less severe, because the campground is a pit stop for travelers heading south

Is this Florida-specific?  Because my favorite beach campground is in mid-coast Maine. :)

Searsport Shores in Searsport (Not too far from Mt. Desert Island)  http://www.campocean.com/ 

The campground is clean, quiet, well organized, and gives off the general aura of what the Maine coast should/used to be. Really fantastic lobster bake on Saturdays, wide and secluded beach for exploring, and the owners genuinely care if you are having a good time, but don't trouble you about it.

It's not a party spot for anyone....it's a quiet and peaceful spot for families. Feels very reverent of nature.

My favorite campground after the Fort, for sure. 

Galveston, Tx.

Galveston Island RV Resort

For any in this area, we just camped here & it's very new, nice & clean. Not the Fort but still a nice campground. Owners are very friendly. Nice pool & club house. We had a roomy pull thru site with a limited view of the ocean. I could drink my coffee & watch the ocean from my dinette table! So relaxing. It's across the street from the beach but easy beach access. Bathrooms are very clean & separate bathrooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another great beach campground (this one on the west coast) is Crystal Cove in Tofino, British Columbia. It's on the far west side of Vancouver Island and the scenery just doesn't get much prettier (unless maybe you've been to New Zealand? I'm guessing that might beat it).

The campground itself is nice with beautiful landscaping and very clean facilities, but the best part is the private beach where your dog is welcome. That doesn't seem to be as common these days. 

http://www.crystalcove.ca/ 

And you can surf here, if that's your thing. 

My parents have been considering that one but I think the lack of shade had them thinking it's a no go when it's hot.

DE Seashore is open and kinda packed in, but the seabreeze helps and you're a short walk to the guarded beach (free with campsite).

They opened up more sites on the north side of the Indian River inlet and they are a bit more spacious. Only problem is no guarded beach on that side.

We have ressies for Aug 21-25. Think about going.

Galveston, Tx. Galveston Island RV Resort For any in this area, we just camped here & it's very new, nice & clean. Not the Fort but still a nice campground. Owners are very friendly. Nice pool & club house. We had a roomy pull thru site with a limited view of the ocean. I could drink my coffee & watch the ocean from my dinette table! So relaxing. It's across the street from the beach but easy beach access. Bathrooms are very clean & separate bathrooms. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that review, we've been talking about going camping in Galveston but I figured the state park was the best option, but its always full.

Topsail Hill in Santa Rosa Beach

I second Topsail Hill State Preserve!

We like Fort Pickens in Pensacola.  Unfortunately there aren't many shaded sites due to hurricane Ivan, but it is still a great place for a beach trip.

Thanks I'm going to check that one out too!

WBI

SnBandt_zpssivcaqnn.png

That. Is. Brilliant.

Another great beach campground (this one on the west coast) is Crystal Cove in Tofino, British Columbia. It's on the far west side of Vancouver Island and the scenery just doesn't get much prettier (unless maybe you've been to New Zealand? I'm guessing that might beat it).

The campground itself is nice with beautiful landscaping and very clean facilities, but the best part is the private beach where your dog is welcome. That doesn't seem to be as common these days. 

http://www.crystalcove.ca/ 

And you can surf here, if that's your thing. 

Surfing is on my list of things to do before I die.

Although by the time I get to do it, it may end up being the thing that kills me.  LOL

anim_surfing.gif

• 3 weeks later...

We loved Camp Gulf in Destin (well, Miramar Beach to be more precise).  Definitely plan to go back.  Would go all the time if it didn't take so long to get there from here.  

Have also stayed at Bryn Mawr in St. Augustine.  Not the nicest campground, but proximity to beach was excellent.

My SIL stayed at North Beach (St. Aug as well?) and liked it, but you have to cross the road to get to the beach.

My camping friends have done Hunting Island SP, SC, and loved it.

We have also done Jekyll Island, GA, but it rained the whole time so I never actually saw how far the campground was from the beach.

We stayed at Hanna Park in Jax.  It's a short bike ride to the beach.  That was the same trip as Destin but after, so the beach looked hideous, but it's probably nice and we are spoiled now.  B)

Oh, hi, everyone!