UPDATED: A Challange to ESPN on the Boardwalk?

NBC to open first sports bar at Universal CityWalk

NBC Sports is getting into the bar business, opening its first NBC Sports Grill & Brew at Universal CityWalk this fall with a massive HD stadium screen more than 100 feet wide at the entrance, more than 100 beers and food prepared on open kettle grills. The company announced the move using its NHL team of sportscasters Liam McHugh, Mike Milbury and Keith Jones with McHugh looking like he was breaking to a live report about what 'our NBC Sports team is cooking up.' Universal Orlando Resort is part of NBCUniversal.

The eatery will be stocked with 100 HD TV screens that will play a constant stream of live sports content. NBC Sports Grill & Brew will be located right before the entrance of Universal Studios, where the former NASCAR Sports Grille was located before it closed in November.

Coming in 2016 is Universal Orlando's fifth on-site hotel, Loews Sapphire Falls Resort, and in the theme parks Skull Island: Reign of Kong promises a groundbreaking attraction in Islands of Adventure. And in 2017 will come Universal's Volcano Bay, an new water theme park experience.

Interesting! 

The one advantage at ESPN is parking is free, while the garage parking at UO is $17/day.  Although parking is usually free for FL residents after 6pm. (All bets are off during Halloween Horror nights and other special events/holidays.)

Well in theory ESPN parking is free if they want to let you into the resorts parking lots.

But then again Disney isn't going to turn away a paying customer...

But if you aren't a guest and they turned you away due to the lots being full etc., where would you have to park?  Downtown Disney?

Since ESPN is part of the Boardwalk resort, I don't think they'll turn you away unless they're actually full. We've never been told "no" and we've gone to watch a bunch of games there and always tell them we're there to go to ESPN.  They've generally pointed us to the lot closest to the guard shack (and furthest from the resort). Worst case when they were full, they've sent us across the street to the CM lot behind the Hess.

• 3 months later...

Update...

NBC sports bar ready for launch

By Sharon Kennedy Wynne

[email protected]

NBC on Tuesday appeared set to open its first sports bar, the NBC Sports Grill & Brew at Universal City-Walk, with a massive HD stadium screen more than 100 feet wide at the entrance.

Steven Jayson, executive chef at Universal Orlando, posted 'We are ready!' on his Twitter account Monday, saying it would be open at 5 p.m. Tuesday, although Universal has not released the news. The tweet was later taken down.

The Orlando Sentinel reported that Tuesday's activity was the start of the restaurant's 'preview mode,' to be followed by an Oct. 23 grand opening.

Taking the place of the former NASCAR Sports Grille before it closed in November, the eatery will be stocked with more than 100 beers and food prepared on open kettle grills, Universal has said. One-hundred HD TV screens will play a constant stream of live sports content.

Those visiting should note Universal Orlando raised the price of parking at its resort this week from $17 to $20. The increase comes on the heels of Disney's similar increase in parking fees Sunday along with increases for annual and seasonal passes.

The restaurant addition is one more flourish in the major revamp Universal CityWalk has undergone in the last year, bringing in eight new shops and restaurants including beef and sushi restaurant Cowfish, upscale Vivo Italian Kitchen, the Hot Dog Hall of Fame and Antojitos, a Mexican restaurant with 200 tequilas.

I like how they slipped the Disney price increases into the article.

I like how they slipped the Disney price increases into the article.

LOL.

Disney is the dog.  Universal (and the rest) are the tail.

I didn't realize when this was announced that it's replacing the NASCAR restaurant.  I thought it was replacing the NBA City restaurant.

The NBA restaurant is what will be taking over Disney Quest.  I think the Universal Studios location was supposed to close over the summer.  Have they announced what's going to replace it?

TCD

LOL.

Disney is the dog.  Universal (and the rest) are the tail.

Yep.  It's usually just a matter of days (sometimes hours) before the others follow suit after a Disney price increase.

I think the Universal Studios location was supposed to close over the summer.  Have they announced what's going to replace it?

It closed mid-August. Last update I saw was a couple of weeks ago and they'd put construction walls up around it.

Still no official word on what's replacing it.  Random rumors swirling include a chocolate restaurant and a fondue restaurant.