Festivals - Small Town or Big City - Cool or Quirky

Chime in and tell us all about festivals your family attends whether in your town or not.  I know there are some beloved and sometimes strange ones out there!  I have a few to share and would love to learn about more.

Coming up:

The Clanton, Alabama Peach Jam

and

(my hometown) the Corinth, Mississippi Slugburger Festival (and no, there are no snails/slugs in the burger!  Stay tuned to learn more.)

Clanton is the peach capital of Alabama.  It is located in the geographic center of the state about halfway between Birmingham and Montgomery on I-65.  Thrill's parents have a second home near there so we go a time or two a year.  Clanton is a charming little town with a slower pace of life.  The local Wal-Mart carries an equal amount of Bama and Auburn gear.  Regular interstate travelers through the area notice the giant peach shaped water tower - and how the red "crack" side faces the interstate - known affectionately as the Peach Butt.  If you can't make it to their annual festival, be sure and stop by Peach Park for BBQ, peach ice cream, or (my favorite) fried pies.  Heaton Pecan Farm also satisfies a weary traveler with treats.

Peach Jam is held in mid-June.  Among the festivities are kiddie rides, local musical artists performing, food trucks/trailers (the fried alligator on a stick was amazing), and vendor booths.  A parade through downtown on Saturday morning brings out kids with plastic bags, buckets, or boxes.  Why?  We soon found out that EVERY entrant except the school bands throws candy,  A LOT of candy!  Politicians and hopefuls ride on cars, trucks, and floats.  Churches advertise their upcoming vacation Bible schools.  Beauty queens and courts from infancy to senior citizens sparkle and shine with tons of makeup and enough hairspray to make the town a "no flame" zone.  This town LOVES their beauty queens.  They have a pageant for everything!  There was even a Relay For Life queen and her court.  Our DS finally asked "So who is the main queen?"  I had to laugh and say, "That one in the small car (with little fanfare) with the sign that says Miss Alabama!"  Bless her heart...

A few pics from the parade:

IMG_2504_zps7vq72jip.jpg

And yes, those are our little guys picking up candy and sporting their Bama jerseys.  Roll Tide.

This float lacked beauty queens but the guys (can't remember what club/group they were) threw great candy.

IMG_2507_zpsm00q5xzn.jpg

We will actually be in Corinth visiting family during the Slugburger festival this year so I will try to take lots of pics to share.

Ok, your turn!

We like the Dogwood Festival each year down in Fayetteville, NC. We also make sure to get up to Raleigh every year for Artsplosure and the Bluegrass Music Awards. 

Two I think that would be fun to go to one year are the New Years Eve Possum Drop in Brasstown, NC and the Pickle Drop in Mt. Olive, NC (home to the pickle company of same name).

We have "Shrimporee" every year during the second weekend of June. Shrimping was the main industry of Aransas Pass until just recently. The festival is kicked off with a big parade and includes our famous "outhouse race competition." There are cooking demonstrations, carnival rides, craft booths, music and dancing every night and of course, shrimp cooked every way imaginable.