Are there handlers using radio control?

No.  Those fairies are very mobile, and interact with the other actors on foot in the parade.  From what I've observed, the magic wands they hold in their hands are wired, and have something to do with the control of the carriages they're riding aboard.  Seeing the framework in these photos leads me to believe that there are also foot controls.

TCD

From the pictures and limited parades I have seen it is some type of Segway technology. My guess is the handle bars were replaced with some type of foot or leg control. Forward and backward movement is nothing more than leaning that way. They could have even replaced the typical turning controls for those that detect body lean and turn accordingly.  

From the pictures and limited parades I have seen it is some type of Segway technology. My guess is the handle bars were replaced with some type of foot or leg control. Forward and backward movement is nothing more than leaning that way. They could have even replaced the typical turning controls for those that detect body lean and turn accordingly.  

The only problem with this theory is that there is no visible leaning done by the fairies. 

TCD

On a true Segway, you,really need a handlebar to hold on, balance, and to make it move.

There are some imitations that have wheels/ rollers in the front and rear for balance.

It's possible that the wand does the steering somehow, and the speed is controlled by a foot pedal. I would imagine that they are strapped in securely or they may even be seated or leaning onto a brace.

On a true Segway, you,really need a handlebar to hold on, balance, and to make it move.

There are some imitations that have wheels/ rollers in the front and rear for balance.

It's possible that the wand does the steering somehow, and the speed is controlled by a foot pedal. I would imagine that they are strapped in securely or they may even be seated or leaning onto a brace.

But as Keith said. Some type of Segway technology.

I agree that's it is not a true Segway. I would venture to guess fairies rig have more than 2 wheels for stability.

I really don't think it's that complicated.

All you need to do is shift the center of gravity and have some detectors. It wouldn't require much body movement to accomplish this. The big thing about the Segway isn't the parts that make it go forward, backwards or turn. The cool stuff is the technology that keeps stability while the rider's body movement would cause it to tip over under static conditions.

It's too bad someone didn't have a telephoto lens they could zoom in on the carriage and get a really good shot.

But with that ridged frame you wouldn't see them shifting their legs, bending at the knee or using their feet to manipulate controllers.

I agree with this.  So, it's not really Segway technology that's being used.

I agree with this too.  Seeing that frame that is sitting there in the photos suggests that the performers are basically standing (or sitting) in a rigid apparatus that they are controlling via foot and a hand control.  They are not balancing.  They are strapped in to that heavy platform which is built so it won't tip.

But as Keith said. Some type of Segway technology.

I agree that's it is not a true Segway. I would venture to guess fairies rig have more than 2 wheels for stability.

I really don't think it's that complicated.

Those things definitely have more that two wheels.  You can see the wheels when the fairies glide by.  It looks like there are maybe two large wheels in the center which are used for moving forward and back, and then three or four smaller wheels around the perimeter of the frame which are merely there for balance.

All you need to do is shift the center of gravity and have some detectors. It wouldn't require much body movement to accomplish this. The big thing about the Segway isn't the parts that make it go forward, backwards or turn. The cool stuff is the technology that keeps stability while the rider's body movement would cause it to tip over under static conditions.

It's too bad someone didn't have a telephoto lens they could zoom in on the carriage and get a really good shot.

If you watch these things move, there is no balancing being done by the performers or the machine they're riding. The photos show a solid, heavy frame that is built to be tip-proof.  They ride these things over the tracks and other bumps in Main Street with no problem or hesitation to stop and balance.  I don't think the performers could make the rig tip under static conditions.  I really would have liked to see how they got the performer out of the frame.  That would have revealed a lot.

TCD