I'm not certain that I can make a decision on product line based on one incident. If I showed the number of products that have caused my daughter to break out in rashes (nothing ever that severe), your cabinet would be 1/2 empty.

Don't get me wrong, I feel for this little one. But everyone's skin is different.

I'm not certain that I can make a decision on product line based on one incident. If I showed the number of products that have caused my daughter to break out in rashes (nothing ever that severe), your cabinet would be 1/2 empty.

Don't get me wrong, I feel for this little one. But everyone's skin is different.

You're right, the title probably should have probably said... be careful with the sunscreen.  I think what I don't like, is the mother reached out to Neutrogena and has received no response.  I can say that I've used their face lotions before and it did sting, but did not burn.  Before I found California Baby for my kiddos, I did actually use a Neutrogena product on our oldest (that was probably about 5 years ago).  Had no problems then... but seeing the picture of this poor sweet baby, I wouldn't even try the sunscreen now.  Not worth it.  Thing is, I don't think we parents would even think about it (I mean, I've never heard of such a thing.. a burn from a lotion).  Instead, you're trying to do the right thing and protect your sweet one from a sunburn, so you just lather it on.  Sweet baby :(

Heck, my daughter couldn't do the snorkeling with the sharks thing at Typhoon Lagoon because her face burned the moment she put on the goggles.

As for the lack of response- that is dismaying. But, I still can't say that his would stop me from using their products if I wanted to find something new for the kids.

I saw this the other day, but it doesn't sit right with me. If she put sunscreen on the child's back why is that the only spot burned? Also there are a couple of straight edges on that burn which seems strange too. Just doesn't make sense. I think I need to see more cases to be totally convinced.

Best Regards,

Norm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My DD had a similar reaction in the same area, to a spray on sunscreen. I think it's the propellant or alcohol, that is used in some of them. We use lotions on her now and a nuetrogena face stick for her nose and under her eyes.

It was when she was a baby and we think toddler lifejacket with its extra floatation around the back of the neck rubbed the sunscreen and irritated that area. She did have a Slight rash in he rest of her body, But probably wouldn't have shown up on a pic.

It was when she was a baby and we think toddler lifejacket with its extra floatation around the back of the neck rubbed the sunscreen and irritated that area. She did have a Slight rash in he rest of her body, But probably wouldn't have shown up on a pic.

I was thinking it looked more like a contact abrasion than a burn. Poor thing.

I was thinking it looked more like a contact abrasion than a burn. Poor thing.

I think you are right. It looks like a Mae West type PFD with a strap down the back was left on this child too long. If it was the sunscreen, then there would be burns all over the shoulders.

I was trying to figure out what Mae West would have worn called a "PFD".  :D 

The pattern does look like the child could have had a life jacket on. Not knowing when the picture was taken this could be a good time after the actual burning. The darkening and scabbing is what I would expect once the blisters have gone down and it has started to heal. 

From Bulletin of the American College of Surgeons:

"In World War II, American and British servicemen were issued these inflatable life preservers. When the front air pockets of the life vest inflated, it gave the appearance of a buxom woman, leading the troops to give it the affectionate nickname the “Mae West” in honor of the well-endowed actress of the time. Today, the military uses a form of this life jacket, and the basic model life vest carried on airplanes is based on this design.

Thus I have always heard that PFD's like this image have been referred to as a "Mae West" 

Felshers-Life-Jacket-Buying-Guide-235957

Hmmm...so could the combination of a life preserver with sunscreen do that, or just the life preserver?

In my DD Cade it was a combo of the two.

She know wears s shirt specifically made to swim in. It keeps the life jacket from rubbing her raw. When we are on the lake she might wear her jacket from 11:00 am- 7:00 pm.

The shirt also has an SPF of 50. I also have a swim shirt. No more sunburn.

In my DD Cade it was a combo of the two.

She know wears s shirt specifically made to swim in. It keeps the life jacket from rubbing her raw. When we are on the lake she might wear her jacket from 11:00 am- 7:00 pm.

The shirt also has an SPF of 50. I also have a swim shirt. No more sunburn.

I see... we don't spend a lot of time in the water, so I had no idea that a life jacket could rub someone like that :(

After seeing the additional pictures I'm still inclined to believe the child had a severe sunburn. I burned frequently as a kid to the point of having solid blisters across my shoulders. The resultant scabbing looked very similar to what the child has in the picture. I'm wondering if it was the sunscreen coming off while the child was playing in the water allowing it to burn. Most of these sun screens/blocks say they need to be reapplied frequently if you are swimming.

We always use Banana Boat. For the grandkids we use the baby banana boat and we use the SPF 30 Sports banana boat for us. No one has gotten a sunburn using these products. My grandson has severe eczema and he can even use the banana boat. I like the sports version because it doesn't sting your eyes if you sweat.