First let me say I love this site. My wife and I made our first fort trip last December to take our son for his birthday. We stayed at the cabins and kinda fell in love with the idea of our next trip camping. But the problem is my wife and I have different ideas for camping. I was very active in scouts and earned my eagle so I like roughing it, my wife..... We let's say she is a glamper.

So my DW and I started looking at popups, but we didn't want to invest a lot of money since we weren't sure how much we would use it. So I found a guy on Craig's list and worked out a trade. So we are now proud owners of a 1977 Starcraft Starmaster 8 .

It's in decent shape had some patches and there is one soft spot in the back roof board that I'm going to fix. But we are excited, and are hoping to take it to the fort this March.post-10465-0-81336700-1436888052_thumb.jpost-10465-0-49741900-1436888089_thumb.j

Welcome!!  Glad you're here :)

Congrats on the camper; I'm sure that you and your family will have tons of fun.... especially if you're at the Fort!! :)

We had a hybrid camper and found this product very helpful for the bunkends:   http://www.popupgizmos.com/

One warning to you.  We only had our PUP for a year before we fell in love and bought a fifth wheel.  It can be addicting.

:o

I could have written that exact post. We got our pop-up in October and sold it the following one in order to buy our fifth wheel.

I wasn't a backpacker like the OP, but I was a die-hard tent camper. For many years, I snubbed my nose at those who would "take their house into the woods". And look at me now... living in mine. :D

I could have written that exact post. We got our pop-up in October and sold it the following one in order to buy our fifth wheel.

I wasn't a backpacker like the OP, but I was a die-hard tent camper. For many years, I snubbed my nose at those who would "take their house into the woods". And look at me now... living in mine. :D

LOL.  We got a pop-up in Oct. and sold it the next year, but went to a 40' MH.  I personally didn't think we needed all that, but last summer we did a 7 week cross country trip with our 2 kids and dog so my husband wanted to be comfortable.  I was glad - we never felt cramped.  

LOL.  We got a pop-up in Oct. and sold it the next year, but went to a 40' MH.  I personally didn't think we needed all that, but last summer we did a 7 week cross country trip with our 2 kids and dog so my husband wanted to be comfortable.  I was glad - we never felt cramped.  

We get good use out of ours- 50/50/100 nights in 212/13/14 and then this year, we moved into it for a year+ trip. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome!!  Glad you're here :)

Congrats on the camper; I'm sure that you and your family will have tons of fun.... especially if you're at the Fort!! :)

We had a hybrid camper and found this product very helpful for the bunkends:   http://www.popupgizmos.com/

Congratulations on your new to you pup.

My vote goes for the gizmos also, they work great in hot weather!  But in cold temps they also keep the tent ends dry inside from all that condensation of our breathing.