Another July 4 at the Fort TCD TR 2015

We really need to go to the Fort for a fourth trip.  Enjoying so far my good man!  

The Fort is a lot of fun on the 4th.  But, it's crowded, hot and wet!

It's not my favorite time to visit.

Hold up.

You giggled?

TCD might have you turn in your Man Card for that.

I have no right to judge anyone's Man Card status.

I lost my Man Card right around the time the twins were born.

Maybe I'll get it back one of these days.

Man card? He'll have to ask my wife for mine...

LOL.  I know the feeling.

TCD

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really wanted Cars Land to come to DHS, but I guess the Fort is just as good......

Since you can have a Disney wedding it doesn't surprise me that you could have pictures taken within the parks if you've paid enough money.

I feel a little sad that none of those carts were driven by kids.

Let's see if I can finally post an update.

We left off early in the morning of July 3.  We just looked at some stuff along the pedestrian only path along Bay Lake, behind the 300 loop, and now we're in the Settlement area.

With the new sidewalk, they have closed off one of the paths previously open for golf cart traffic:

7%204%2015%20033_zpsa9a8o9qf.jpg

Needless to say, this doesn't do much to help with getting golf carts in to and out of the Settlement area.

Now, all golf carts are restricted to just this part of the path:

7%204%2015%20034_zpsiqtai4b8.jpg

If you are a faithful ff.net reader, you know that they have expanded the golf cart parking area at Pioneer Hall.  They recently planted some new bushes to help with the eyesore they have created:

7%204%2015%20035_zpsaolaehis.jpg

They've also added all of those wooden wheel stops for guests to trip over.

Here's how things look now:

7%204%2015%20036_zpsspjb5msv.jpg

Here's a photo from the TCD archives.  It's from March, 2014, when there was more wilderness at Fort Wilderness:

3%206%2014%20358_zpsdfzudvuv.jpg

It's a good thing that no one parks in this huge parking lot, because I don't think they used anyone who knows anything about traffic flow when they laid it out-  there is only one way in and out.  Picture what it would be like if there were carts parked in the spaces marked with the wooden blocks, and carts trying to enter and exit the area in the little bit of space left:

7%204%2015%20037_zpsxcjzkgqw.jpg

They have added some new power outlets and moved the old ones to new posts out of the bushes- so that's a bit of an improvement.  But, there are only outlets along the row closest to Pioneer Hall.  I also find it interesting that they don't have weather covers on these outlets.  I thought code required outside outlets to have protective covers:

7%204%2015%20038_zpslrsz6rmm.jpg

7%204%2015%20039_zpsk4f0oenx.jpg

There are some new pine trees planted over there, but apparently there's no irrigation here, as they are using a long green house to water them.  Also, note the new light post.  It doesn't match anything currently in the Fort, but it does match the new ones they installed in the old River Country entrance area, which they now use for the Backyard BBQ:

7%204%2015%20040_zpsl1vsxfkc.jpg

There's just rocking chair and picnic tables on Crockett's porch:

7%204%2015%20041_zpsij6xruiw.jpg

Those awful high top tables are gone at last, but so are two of the picnic tables:

7%204%2015%20042_zpsqe51epdx.jpg

There are two picnic tables over there by where the River Country Wagon is supposed to go.  I've never used them, but I would if I had to:

7%204%2015%20043_zpszqlctzak.jpg

Since no one was around, I figured this would be a good time to go and take a peek around the parts of River Country that you're allowed to look at.  So, I headed down this path:

7%204%2015%20044_zpsa5fucrsf.jpg

There's Clementine's Beach and SQUIRREL!:

7%204%2015%20045_zps7enilacz.jpg

Sorry, I was distracted there for a moment.

Where was I?

Oh yeah.

On the way to look at River Country.

The sun was shining too brightly, so you can't read the new portable sign they have there that says "No Carts Beyond this Point," but there's a new sign there that says that.  In the past, you could ride your cart right under the old ticket window and into the old River Country entrance area.  Not anymore.  Oh, and check out how long and skinny my shadow is at this early hour of the morning:

7%204%2015%20046_zpsi2fdtmiz.jpg

I guess it's still OK to drive your cart to the end of the sidewalk leading to Clementine's Beach.  Here, we can see the guy raking the beach:

7%204%2015%20047_zpsl3udlmmz.jpg

And there's the first MK boat.  It's 7:17 am:

7%204%2015%20048_zpst5jyf8nz.jpg

Here's all those new River Country entrance area lights- they must need to adjust their timer:

7%204%2015%20049_zpsllzvh25x.jpg

There are a bunch of new No Trespassing signs on the fences that block off the rotting areas that they don't want guests to see:

7%204%2015%20050_zpsrcakllpw.jpg

7%204%2015%20051_zpsgxidnwid.jpg

7%204%2015%20052_zpshxq00fur.jpg

I've heard that people have gone past those fences and taken photos and videos which have been plastered around the internet.

That's terrible if it's true.

I'm sure there's nothing interesting to see on the other side of those fences.

Plus, now it's trespassing.

Which I guess means that it used to be OK to do?

There's the old River Country pavilion, which is decorated for some 4th of July Backyard BBQ seatings:

7%204%2015%20053_zpsvlgx1rhr.jpg

Now we're outside of Pioneer Hall enjoying the nice flowers that are always planted here:

7%204%2015%20054_zpsxnqlcfle.jpg

It was still early enough that there weren't any other guests around, so I decided to shimmy up one of the posts on the porch for a better look at the new golf cart parking area.  And here we are:

7%204%2015%20055_zpsxgb3bl5q.jpg

Note that there is only one way in and out of that lot, and that carts parking in the back of the new part will have to wind their way through carts already parked in the spots closest to Pioneer Hall.  I really think whoever designed this goofed.  And, I still don't understand why they did it.

While I was up here, I took a photo of the Pioneer Hall sign, just because that's what I always do:

7%204%2015%20056_zpszpzd8x7j.jpg

Another look at the parking lot:

7%204%2015%20057_zpskyxwag33.jpg

Note that there are three picnic tables here, and that they've made that beverage cart a semi-permanent fixture from the looks of things:

7%204%2015%20058_zpsyvspnnl5.jpg

From here, I headed back to our site.

I made some coffee, and enjoyed the coolest temperatures I would enjoy all day.

As I was sitting there sipping my coffee, my next door neighbor came over to say hello.

It was PrincessNana from here on ff.net!

I had set up right next to her, but never saw her the day before.

She had some family with her, and they had me surrounded in my site.

The folks one the other side of me were with her, and so were the folks across from me.

What bad luck they had to have to camp next to the TCD gang.

After a while, Twin #1 and her friend got up, and I whipped up some breakfast for us.

Then, we headed to the MK.

We saw the boat pulling away as we arrived.

Which meant a bit of a wait in the hot sun on the dock for the next boat.

But, did you know you can see the boats coming and going from inside the nicely air conditioned Settlement Trading Post?

You can.

We hung out in there, right under these brooms, until we saw the next boat come:

7%204%2015%20059_zpsasvkzzlo.jpg

And then we were off.

The beach raker did a pretty good job this morning:

7%204%2015%20060_zpsidcbl7cq.jpg

And there's the shoe tree:

7%204%2015%20061_zps3uifl9wo.jpg

We will have to wait for the next update for a closer look at the shoe crop.

And, then it's on to the MK.

TCD

I'm really happy to see the expanded parking area at Pioneer Hall, even if it is ugly.  We've been there when no parking spots were available.  Hopefully the new vegetation they have planted will grow quickly and block the ugly view.  But I do agree the traffic flow doesn't make much sense.

I am happy to see they planted a hedge to help soften the look of the parking lot.  It would have been nice if they used some more mature plants so they would not take as long to grow in but hey that might cost an extra dime or two.  Time heals all. I think the flow of the parking lot will work most of the time.  There is only one way out of the area and it's single file so it does no good to give the parking lot more than single file egress.  I'm just glad to see some improvements.  

You and the girls were the best neighbors we've ever had at Ft. wilderness.., we felt like we were camping next to a Fort Fiend legend. Sorry we had to leave before meeting the whole family. And, Your setup is what I noticed first and then realized we were camped next to you. Hope all the kids and dogs didn't bother you too much. As usual, I'm loving your trip report.

So even during the July 4th weekend the new cart parking was unused?

We saw some unreal, worst environment imaginable golf cart parking in late July this year. My husband had to literally move a cart by hand that was 100% blocking us in an area where we had no other way out. They were parking in the road that leads to the large Sandy area close to the beach. We have been there during way busier times but not quite as stupid times.

More comments- but probably no update until tomorrow- sorry.

I did NOT know that you don't usually post on weekends.... yay for Monday then!! Looking forward to the next update :)

Yeah, I'm usually too busy on the weekends to post.  This past weekend, for example, Mrs. TCD and I were in Gainesville to help Twin #1 with a pre-end-of-summer move out of her apartment.  We got all the big stuff, so she can just throw the rest in her car and leave in two weeks. This coming weekend, we're heading to Miami to move our oldest DD into her new apartment there.

And, when I'm not doing something like that or a honey-do, I will be at WDW!

Okay... you must have been posting while I was typing :)

That parking lot is ugly :(

Yup.

And you're right- that parking lot is ugly.

You shimmied without Dave?

Yeah.

What with the latest Boycott and all, I had to.  I guess if I want to shimmy with him, we'll have to find two things that we can climb in Pigeon Forge.

So even during the July 4th weekend the new cart parking was unused? 

Stay tuned, but the short answer is yes.

They had some kind of master plan they were trying for the 4th, which they tested on the 3rd, when it wasn't necessary.  We will be getting to that part of the report very soon.

I'm really happy to see the expanded parking area at Pioneer Hall, even if it is ugly.  We've been there when no parking spots were available.  Hopefully the new vegetation they have planted will grow quickly and block the ugly view.  But I do agree the traffic flow doesn't make much sense.

That's weird.  In all of my trips to the Fort, I have never seen that parking lot full.  Not once.

I've had a hard time finding a parking spot at the marina.  But never in this Pioneer Hall parking lot.

I don't think it was necessary to make it as big as they did.  Unless they have plans to restrict or eliminate parking at the marina.

So it is not against the rules to shimmy up the pole? Why would they not have stairs?

I have always carefully looked to see if there are any "No Shimmying" signs posted anywhere on the porch, and have never seen any.  Nor have I seen any such rules in the material provided at check in.  So, I don't think it's against the rules.   If it were, I would be the first to stop.

I think there must be stairs inside Pioneer Hall somewhere to get to the second level of the porch.  But, I am not sure they are accessible by regular guests, and in any event, Pioneer Hall is not open in the mornings, so there were no stairs available for me to climb.  So, I had to shimmy.

I am happy to see they planted a hedge to help soften the look of the parking lot.  It would have been nice if they used some more mature plants so they would not take as long to grow in but hey that might cost an extra dime or two.  Time heals all. I think the flow of the parking lot will work most of the time.  There is only one way out of the area and it's single file so it does no good to give the parking lot more than single file egress.  I'm just glad to see some improvements.  

As you know, stuff grows fast in Florida, so those bushes will be high enough to shield the view of the parking lot in no time.

You are right about the single file egress.  I guess there's no point in getting out of the parking lot faster.  But, I do think it would be good if they had another exit.  Maybe even make in one way through the whole thing like the golf cart parking at the Outpost.

While the new light posts are not consistent with the old classic ones, they're not bad.

I wonder if the old classic ones will be phased out and replaced gradually by these?

7%204%2015%20052_zpshxq00fur.jpg

(Welcome to FF.net, where nerds like me discuss the minutiae of a campground in excruciating detail.)

I like those new lights.  I don't think they're going to be used elsewhere in the Fort for a while.  It seems like they've replaced and added a lot of lights around the camping loops not too long ago.

You and the girls were the best neighbors we've ever had at Ft. wilderness.., we felt like we were camping next to a Fort Fiend legend. Sorry we had to leave before meeting the whole family. And, Your setup is what I noticed first and then realized we were camped next to you. Hope all the kids and dogs didn't bother you too much. As usual, I'm loving your trip report.

Very good. I'll mail that check now just like we agreed.  Thanks for the kind words.

Y'all were great neighbors too.  I enjoyed seeing all of your grandkids enjoying the Fort.  You have a great family.

By the way, nobody moved in to your site at all the day you left, or the next day either.  There were a lot of empty sites all around the loop and the Fort after the big holiday.

We saw some unreal, worst environment imaginable golf cart parking in late July this year. My husband had to literally move a cart by hand that was 100% blocking us in an area where we had no other way out. They were parking in the road that leads to the large Sandy area close to the beach. We have been there during way busier times but not quite as stupid times.

As I've mentioned before, people suck.  It's amazing to me the lack of common sense and common courtesy that you see not just at WDW, but everywhere these days.  Wouldn't it have been obvious to the idiot who parked that cart there that he would be blocking people in?

My other huge golf cart pet peeve was seen everywhere during this trip.  Idiots in golf carts that cannot go more than 10 miles an hour slowly and obliviously driving on the main campground roads with long lines of traffic behind them.  The rules are printed right on the Fort Wilderness golf cart steering wheels that carts should pull over for vehicle traffic.  And even if that wasn't the rule, wouldn't it just be common courtesy to do so?

TCD

I know you will be heading to California soon so I just wanted to mention about the section of I-10 that got washed out and closed in both directions near California , in case you didn't know.

It's partially reopened.  They constructed a crossover so both lanes can use the westbound bridge.  The speed limit has been reduced in that section

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2015/07/24/i-10-bridge-roadway-open-traffic/30628395/

we used it. we may have been the only ones ... but we used it!  :P

What time of day/night did you park there on the 4th?  I parked there for breakfast at Trail's End, but that evening, they had all of the cones set up and CM's directing guests where to park.  It looked to me that they were saving that lot for the latest guests to arrive, and were directing everyone else to the field area around the Settlement playground.

Shimmy Shimmy Ko Ko Bop

https://youtu.be/FHb3Jz19WpM?t=14

Sorry, couldn't resist    :lol:

That's a good song, but not the same kind of shimmying we're talking about.

It never fails to amaze me that when some people go on vacation they forget all social conventions and obviously leave good manners and common sense at home.

That's the truth!

I'm in. I can't wait til December to see the parking lot myself. I was in such a tizzy the night I parked there it doesn't look like I remember. (Before the expansion). It seemed much further away at the main road.

Once you see it, you'll see how big and ugly it is.  By then, some of those shrubs will have grown a bit, and I'll bet they reconfigure it to improve traffic flow.

I know you will be heading to California soon so I just wanted to mention about the section of I-10 that got washed out and closed in both directions near California , in case you didn't know.

Thanks.  Believe it or not, this is the first I've heard of it.  So, thanks.  We leave exactly two weeks from today.  Hopefully, things will have improved by then.  The girls know others who are headed out a few days before us, so we can get scouting reports from them.  I was planning on taking 10 the whole way.  By the way, I got my 2015 The Next Exit book, and have enjoyed flipping through it.

It's partially reopened.  They constructed a crossover so both lanes can use the westbound bridge.  The speed limit has been reduced in that section

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2015/07/24/i-10-bridge-roadway-open-traffic/30628395/

Thanks for that link.  I'll need to keep an eye on this, as I still think that's the way I want to go.

I love everything about a TCD trip report, but my absolute favorite part is the morning solo walking tours of the Fort and the observations and commentary.

Great stuff. We should really market this stuff to expand the readership.

Thanks.  I'm glad you like to read about the early morning explorations, because that's my absolute favorite part of visiting the Fort.  The only problem is that we stay out late, and I force myself to get up early.  I want to be out and about every morning that I can.  It's something that I look forward to, and I miss it now that I don't go as often as I used to.

TCD

Let's move on . . .

We left off on the boat to the MK on the early afternoon of Friday, July 3.  It was hot and cloudy, and looked like some thunderstorms could be heading our way, but not for a while yet.

Here's the shoe tree again:

7%204%2015%20062_zpsfekfiktz.jpg

There are plenty of shoes on there, but they're hard to see when all the leaves are on the tree in the summer:

7%204%2015%20063_zpssfjjfsvj.jpg

If you look close, you can see them:

7%2015%20shoe%20tree_zps5clri7dh.jpg

There's good old rotting River Country:

7%204%2015%20064_zpsdrx3ns50.jpg

It's kind of amazing that some of that stuff is still standing:

7%204%2015%20066_zpskggzk1sp.jpg

And there's the wooded shoreline of Wilderness Lodge.  It won't be long before this view is wrecked by a bunch of cabins that none of us can afford to stay in:

7%204%2015%20067_zps89xyatlp.jpg

7%204%2015%20068_zpsk8yyz1fo.jpg

The boat service was good over the weekend- there's another MK boat already heading to the Fort right after we left:

7%204%2015%20069_zps0fux1uze.jpg

Here's a boat and a monorail in the same shot:

7%204%2015%20070_zps0mkec0tk.jpg

There's the Grand Floridian:

7%204%2015%20071_zpslqir24fn.jpg

It really wasn't too busy at the bag check or scanners, and we got into the MK fast.  It was just past two, and we decided to stake out some prime Main Street spots for FOF.  We got the same spots we have used the past few times, and settled in for some people watching.

I've always heard that women are not allowed to wear wedding dresses to the WDW parks, but this sure looks like one:

7%204%2015%20072_zpsz4l9gdqc.jpg

This couple apparently was not breaking any rules, as the Photopass photographer was snapping away, and even waited while they changed props for their little photoshoot:

7%204%2015%20074_zpscasmpjma.jpg

7%204%2015%20075_zps7m5nmrb5.jpg

It was way north of 90 degrees that afternoon, and that poor groom had on a full suit:

7%204%2015%20076_zpsz2lo5gu1.jpg

Those newlyweds inspired another set to come up and get their photos taken.  I'll bet they're going to love the goofy poses the photographer made them do:

7%204%2015%20077_zps34hzeghs.jpg

7%204%2015%20078_zpsoesocnwy.jpg

WDE:

7%204%2015%20079_zpsdzdn4fgr.jpg

We enjoyed all of this from the shady side of the street.  Oh, and by the way, the scrim has come down from Uptown Jewelers:

7%204%2015%20080_zpspgmggs8q.jpg

I won't bore you with too many parade photos.

I have this one of Anna and Elsa, which I'll post for Troll, since he loves Elsa:

7%204%2015%20082_zpsrafs53kh.jpg

The Tangled dancing girls were spinning around showing their underwear again, but I didn't capture any of that in my photos:

7%204%2015%20083_zps8xbsfih1.jpg

The mime didn't bother us- he bothered the people across from us.  So, it was a good day:

7%204%2015%20085_zpsu9i0uotx.jpg

There was an electric cord dragging behind the yellow fairy, but I failed to get a photo of it:

7%204%2015%20087_zpsbuxxr8v6.jpg

That darn purple fairy blocked me when I tried to get a photo of the cord:

7%204%2015%20088_zpsyoiaok71.jpg

7%204%2015%20089_zpswewbxobf.jpg

It's a shame I didn't get that photo, as the yellow fairy broke down the very next day, as discussed on this thread: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/15871-for-tcd-the-floating-fairies-exposed/?p=454733

Here comes the dragon:

7%204%2015%20090_zpsjzhtlt72.jpg

Prince Philip and the dragon fought, but the dragon didn't blow any fire- I think it was too windy:

7%204%2015%20091_zpst1wlubfp.jpg

The dwarfs and company were all present:

7%204%2015%20093_zpsm5rwez6q.jpg

Chip and Dale were properly clothed:

7%204%2015%20094_zpspggo8tse.jpg

Chip came over and kissed Twin #1 on the hand, which caused the kid up the street there to throw her some major shade:

7%204%2015%20095_zpsjcuo8jdh.jpg

That's all I have for this update.  We had some FP+ reservations for later in the evening, so we decided to bug out and head back to the Fort as a storm was brewing.

TCD