Another July 4 at the Fort TCD TR 2015

That really stinks about the rain and the long wait.  Also the parking situation.  

Yeah, all of that did stink.  But, all of it was worth it to see those fireworks from inside the MK.  It ended up being one of those really fun nights that we will all remember since it was so different.  The kids did a good job entertaining themselves while waiting for the fireworks to start.

This photo makes me want to veer to one side or the other and take out the entire row..........With a rented cart.........And my 10 year old driving it....

Not much pixie dust on your parking, travels, or fireworks start.   But, you made it.

That would make a great video!

Yeah, there wasn't much pixie dust that evening, but as I said, we ended up having a really good time.

The orange cones make me laugh. Lined up that way really does make you want to knock over just a few to screw up someone's OCD. Better yet just nudge a few into the sand. On a different note the fireworks are amazing. I had the privilege of enjoying them one time as a kid. I am not sure what I remember the most however, the fireworks or the frightening mob of people afterwards.

That after the fireworks mob still exists, but we avoid it.  We hung around in the hub area for a while and then rode some rides to give the fireworks crowd a chance to leave.

Also, they did have the alternate pathway behind Main Street open, and that helps a lot.

Someone must be getting paid by the cone......

or maybe Mngmnt said "lets spread some pixie dust on a hot day, Ice cream cones for everyone!"  And by the time the order came down thru middle mngmt it read: "lets spread some cow manure on a hot day, Safety Cones for everyone!"

LOL.  That could be it.

early/breakfast time. we filled our mugs and ske-daddled ;)

OK- that makes sense.  They weren't doing any of their traffic control in the morning.

I think we got down there about 5:30 or 6:00. Our reservation was for 7:00 pm at Artist Point and we were trying to beat the rain. When we finished dinner, they had all the boats closed down for the fireworks so we took the bus back to the fort. It was great....it went directly from the lodge, down that back road to pioneer hall. Sorry, I don't know how to navigate through multiple quotes.

Did you park in the lot at Pioneer Hall, or over by the Settlement Bus Stop?  If you were there at 5:30/6:00, maybe the CM who we saw there both nights hadn't started yet.

The bus ride between the Lodge and the Fort is one of my favorites.  It's quick and painless.  I've often said that it's just as easy to go to the Lodge to eat as it is to get to the food courts at some of the huge moderate hotels with internal buses like Port Orleans Riverside and Coronado Springs.

7%204%2015%20096_zpsfrwct4ka.jpg

I really wanted Cars Land to come to DHS, but I guess the Fort is just as good......

Good one!  Up arrow awarded.

TCD

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really wanted Cars Land to come to DHS, but I guess the Fort is just as good......

Since you can have a Disney wedding it doesn't surprise me that you could have pictures taken within the parks if you've paid enough money.

I feel a little sad that none of those carts were driven by kids.

After all of the rain on the night of the 3rd, I was happy to see when I woke up on the 4th that things had cleared up, and the sun was trying to come out.

On the way to the comfort station that morning, I took a few photos of my loop neighbors.

The last time I visited the 900 loop was in mid-June of this year, and every site was empty, even 905, which has been permanently occupied by a trailer owned by the Lazy Days company in Tampa.  Well, they Lazy Days trailer is back:

7%204%2015%20121_zpsagwmscvq.jpg

The folks next to the Lazy Days trailer did a good job parking four cars on their site.  I think they could have gotten a couple more in there, don't you?:

7%204%2015%20122_zpsuhptwscn.jpg

7%204%2015%20123_zpsqnscdzlf.jpg

These slackers only got three trucks parked on their site:

7%204%2015%20124_zpsnkihdv8r.jpg

I took a quick shower in the nice empty comfort station, and then headed out for my morning rounds.  I wanted to check and see if that private party had used the campfire set up behind the 300 loop the night before, so I headed back out that way.

Nobody was fishing or using the dog walk:

7%204%2015%20125_zpsjabd3s4g.jpg

Everything was still the way it was the day before- nothing here had been used.  The firepit was still clean, and the table/bar was still wrapped up:

7%204%2015%20126_zpsts4in12s.jpg

I figured that meant that tonight, the 4th would be the night they would use it.  Which meant I would need to come back again to check tomorrow.  It's hard work, but someone has to do it.

Here we are in the Settlement. Or, should we call it Cone Wonderland?:

7%204%2015%20127_zpsqqveduki.jpg

7%204%2015%20128_zpstjvbphpe.jpg

It looks like they tried to make a pedestrian walkway there with all of those cones.  It's not a bad idea- but it also wasn't necessary, and probably caused more problems than it solved.

There goes an Auburn golf cart- I don't usually see other people out and about this early in the morning. I don't know what those two were up to:

7%204%2015%20129_zps89ilzinh.jpg

More cones:

7%204%2015%20130_zpscrkn0cbo.jpg

7%204%2015%20131_zpscri2opju.jpg

Don't miss all of the cones stacked up there on the left-  they ran out of places to put them.

There wasn't anything to see down by River Country, plus they had the road coned off.  So, I headed back.

These bushes next to Crockett's Porch could use a trim:

7%204%2015%20132_zpslephhefg.jpg

The last time we ate on the porch here, we saw a hummingbird flying around these bushes.  I looked to see if one was around this morning, but there weren't any:

7%204%2015%20133_zpsuanfvuvj.jpg

7%204%2015%20134_zpsmkkeqe4v.jpg

I headed to the big ugly parking lot because I wasn't sure if I had enough photos of it:

7%204%2015%20135_zpsts3xsb8k.jpg

I love trees, and hate to see any cut down, but I really have to question why they decided to leave these trees in the middle of the parking lot like this.  They weren't a problem when the parking lot was half its current size, and people could pass each other coming and going, but now they're just in the way:

7%204%2015%20136_zpslflhvnae.jpg

I wanted a nice photo of Pioneer Hall with the blue sky behind it, so I walked up the path a bit to get this shot:

7%204%2015%20137_zpslgplptfu.jpg

It looked like today might be a nice day.

Do you know you can get free ice water while you're waiting to be seated for the Hoop Dee Doo Revue?  Well you can, they set up two big dispensers here every night.  And, if you really want some, you cold just walk up and get some- nobody asks to see your ticket:

7%204%2015%20138_zpsex8b7etf.jpg

7%204%2015%20139_zpsagtyh2pg.jpg

I took this photo to use in the "Where in the World" photo thread, but I decided it would be too easy:

7%204%2015%20140_zpsl3piw0of.jpg

I took this photo for the benefit of anyone who would like to shimmy up one of the posts here at Pioneer Hall.  I recommend the interior post to the left in this photo.  Once you get up to that post pointing out, you can grab ahold of it, and pull yourself up to the upper deck.  It's not as hard as it might look:

7%204%2015%20141_zpsndltonsd.jpg

Those golf cart guys left, and then nobody was around here.  It was right at 7:30 now, and Trail's End was officially open, but no one was coming to an early breakfast on the 4th:

7%204%2015%20142_zpsqnz4suiw.jpg

7%204%2015%20143_zpsiy3kibcn.jpg

Since there was nothing going on here at the Settlement, I headed out to do some looping.  There were about ten or so empty sites on the 2000 loop, but other than that, the Fort was pretty full.

I hadn't been to the Meadow Trading Post yet this morning, so I stopped by there for a look around:

7%204%2015%20144_zpsoml2zaow.jpg

There's the 900 loop over yonder:

7%204%2015%20145_zpstla9g9oa.jpg

It was reported on another thread that the David Doss print titled "Fun at Fort Wilderness" is now on sale at the Meadow Trading Post.  I don't know why it took them so long to get these in here, as I've seen several reports of people that were hunting for these, and had a hard time tracking them down.  Well, you can buy all you want now:

7%204%2015%20146_zpsv1c4njno.jpg

They are set up right in the center of the Trading Post- you can't miss them:

7%204%2015%20147_zpsricagiyq.jpg

I like it:

7%204%2015%20148_zpsjdgagavx.jpg

Do you realize that Mickey, Minnie and Goofy are set up right where that mysterious campfire area was set up there behind the 300 loop? I wonder if that was who this was all set up for?

The medium sized one is $50:

7%204%2015%20149_zpsnoc3rcp8.jpg

The small ones are $30, and the large ones are $80.

I haven't bought one yet.  I'm going to wait until the twins are CM's again, and hopefully one can buy me one with the 40% merchandise discount they get around the holidays.

I took this photo for the "Where in the World" thread too.  But, I think it's too easy as well:

7%204%2015%20154_zpsufzcrvrg.jpg

I'll need to stop here, but I have another couple of Trading Post photos to share.

Then a lot of 4th of July Golf Cart Parade photos.  I think the next update will be where I mention a famous Fiend I ran into that morning.

Then we will have some photos of the TCD gang with a special guest.

You won't want to miss any of that.

TCD

First of all I would love to be out early one morning and catch you shimming up that pole. That would make the best photo, almost ever lol. I like the picture of the storage trunks. Something about those colors together really draws my eye to them. All these pictures of the Fort really make me wish you could add the smell of a Florida morning to them. Oh how I miss it.

We have seen it, we just haven't actually sat down to watch a parade in a very long time. We won't sit down in advance and won't fight the crowd for a viewing spot. We are spoiled maybe.

FastPass the parade. Others think it's a waste, but your reasoning is exactly why we FastPass them. I won't weasel into a spot and won't stake one out (because some "person" will weasel in too close to me or worse, in front of me).

First of all I would love to be out early one morning and catch you shimming up that pole. That would make the best photo, almost ever lol. I like the picture of the storage trunks. Something about those colors together really draws my eye to them. All these pictures of the Fort really make me wish you could add the smell of a Florida morning to them. Oh how I miss it.

It's unlikely you will ever see me shimmy, as I always make sure no one's looking.  Plus, it's not something I do every trip.

I also wish that the early morning photos could be accompanied by the smells (and sounds) of the Fort.  It is really a magical time to be out and about.

FastPass the parade. Others think it's a waste, but your reasoning is exactly why we FastPass them. I won't weasel into a spot and won't stake one out (because some "person" will weasel in too close to me or worse, in front of me).

Whoa now.  Have you watched Festival of Fantasy from the FP+ viewing area in the summer?  You couldn't pay me to do that.  There is no shade.  At all.  I think I'd rather stand on the surface of the sun.

My current favorite spot on Main Street, which is in the shade, has a couple of strategically placed posts that keep the weasels at bay.  Sitting there in the shade for an hour before the parade, people watching, is one of my favorite things to do.  Any Fiend is free to use my spot (if I'm not there, that is).

TCD

Whoa now.  Have you watched Festival of Fantasy from the FP+ viewing area in the summer?  You couldn't pay me to do that.  There is no shade.  At all.  I think I'd rather stand on the surface of the sun.

My current favorite spot on Main Street, which is in the shade, has a couple of strategically placed posts that keep the weasels at bay.  Sitting there in the shade for an hour before the parade, people watching, is one of my favorite things to do.  Any Fiend is free to use my spot (if I'm not there, that is).

Yeppers. We did the FP there on our anniversary trip but we stood back towards the center of that area. But I am fairly positive that we also sat there with the kids.

One spot for an hour with a 3 year old isn't people watching, it's an actual torture technique used by the CIA.

Yeppers. We did the FP there on our anniversary trip but we stood back towards the center of that area. But I am fairly positive that we also sat there with the kids. One spot for an hour with a 3 year old isn't people watching, it's an actual torture technique used by the CIA.

Your anniversary trip was in May, right?  It's hot in May, but not June, July and August hot.  You might die standing out there in the FP+ area for FOF.  Or evaporate.

You know, now that I think of it, I didn't do much people watching when my kids were 3.

I'd just skip the parade rather than being roasted in the FP+ area.

They didn't run out of places, they heard about the Dukes of Hazzard golf cart and SmartCar on the "WTF?" thread and were planning ahead.

LOL.  Now that I think of it, I think I did see a Dukes of Hazard golf cart at the Fort once.  But not this trip.

TCD

I'm caught up on this trip report, but I'm behind on some others. I haven't been on here much lately. This month has been absolute hell, due to illnesses and injuries. Reading this helps me get away from all of that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, all of that did stink.  But, all of it was worth it to see those fireworks from inside the MK.  It ended up being one of those really fun nights that we will all remember since it was so different.  The kids did a good job entertaining themselves while waiting for the fireworks to start.

TCD

it wasn't just the rain ... there was so. much. lightning. holy cow. maybe it wasn't a lot by Florida standards, but we kept waiting and waiting to go to Trail's End to get a snack and watch the fireworks, but that lightning was never ending. Well, until it ended and we could go. LOL 

we followed someone on Twitter who was in the MK & tweeted there was an announcement that said the fireworks would start at 10:30, so we were pretty surprised that they started sooner. Thankfully we were already at the marina, LOLOLOL

I understand.  Parades do require a big time commitment.  And, you miss some shorter line rides while so many people are watching the parade.  We never were big parade watchers, but we really like FOF, and now we are parade people.

TCD

For our earlier trips, we skipped the parades so we could ride more rides.  I mean, you can see a parade at home, right?

It was TCD trip reports, plus those of other fiends, that convinced me to give WDW parades a try.  Now, I am an MK parade fanatic.  I even like the Move it Shake it parade!

I'm caught up on this trip report, but I'm behind on some others. I haven't been on here much lately. This month has been absolute hell, due to illnesses and injuries. Reading this helps me get away from all of that! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sending you a big hug! :bighug:

I'd like to go to the Fort to see the fireworks and the golf cart parade but the crowds PLUS heat keep me away.  I'm guessing it's fun though :)   Oh.... and as the others have said, mercy with the cones already!  There are so many, it's pretty comical :)

The folks next to the Lazy Days trailer did a good job parking four cars on their site.  I think they could have gotten a couple more in there, don't you?:

7%204%2015%20122_zpsuhptwscn.jpg

7%204%2015%20123_zpsqnscdzlf.jpg

Four vehicles on the site....and they likely have at least one more in overflow as neither of those four look like the tow vehicle for that trailer.  I wonder how many people they have passed out drunk sleeping in that trailer?

Still it would be a good picture.

I suppose it would.  I'll have to take extra precautions next time to make sure no one is around to take that photo.

I'm caught up on this trip report, but I'm behind on some others. I haven't been on here much lately. This month has been absolute hell, due to illnesses and injuries. Reading this helps me get away from all of that! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that!  I hope things improve for you soon.

Wow they went cone crazy.

That's the truth.

Some how, and I'm not sure how, but we were riding the ASTRO Orbiter as the fireworks were going off on the third.

What?  Y'all were at the Fort over the 4th?  I'm sure I looped past your site.  What loop were y'all on?

For our earlier trips, we skipped the parades so we could ride more rides.  I mean, you can see a parade at home, right?

It was TCD trip reports, plus those of other fiends, that convinced me to give WDW parades a try.  Now, I am an MK parade fanatic.  I even like the Move it Shake it parade!

The parades have grown on me too.  But, for some reason, I don't care for that Move it Shake it parade.

I'd like to go to the Fort to see the fireworks and the golf cart parade but the crowds PLUS heat keep me away.  I'm guessing it's fun though :)   Oh.... and as the others have said, mercy with the cones already!  There are so many, it's pretty comical :)

The crowds, heat and rain are bad.  But it's worth enduring all of that to be at the Fort for the 4th.  It's a fun time.

Four vehicles on the site....and they likely have at least one more in overflow as neither of those four look like the tow vehicle for that trailer.  I wonder how many people they have passed out drunk sleeping in that trailer?

I didn't notice that none of those could be the tow vehicle.  I wonder if they were with the site next door where the three trucks were parked?

Glad all of you got to go! We missed the Fort this 4th. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry that y'all missed it too.  A lot of Fiends took this year off.

TCD

it wasn't just the rain ... there was so. much. lightning. holy cow. maybe it wasn't a lot by Florida standards, but we kept waiting and waiting to go to Trail's End to get a snack and watch the fireworks, but that lightning was never ending. Well, until it ended and we could go. LOL 

we followed someone on Twitter who was in the MK & tweeted there was an announcement that said the fireworks would start at 10:30, so we were pretty surprised that they started sooner. Thankfully we were already at the marina, LOLOLOL

I need to respond to this comment separately.

I forgot to mention the lighting!

There was a lot of lightning the night of the 3rd.

In fact, photos of it began to circulate on social media.

We even got a call from Mrs. TCD as we were waiting there for the fireworks as she had caught wind of it, and saw a report somewhere that the castle had been struck by lightning.  Of course, we were standing right out in the open, not far from the castle, waiting for the fireworks to start.

Here is one of the many photos that were flying through cyberspace that night:

150705135141-01-disneyworld-lightning-su

There are more posted here: http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/05/travel/disney-world-lightning-storm-feat/

(CNN)Visitors waiting for a fireworks show at Disney World's Magic Kingdom Park experienced a different kind of light show.

An incoming thunderstorm delayed Friday night fireworks at the Disney theme park in Lake Buena Vista, Florida. The storm also brought lightning strikes directly above Cinderella's Castle, leading to striking pictures taken by visitors.

Kelsey Carragher, a visitor to the park who took one of the photos, said guests didn't seem to be frightened by the close bolts of lightning.

"The crowd seemed to be enjoying the lighting as much as they would have the fireworks," Carragher said.

Shortly after the storm, Disney World was able to continue with the special Fourth of July fireworks show, which was on Friday and Saturday.

TCD

We're back in the Meadow Trading Post early in the morning.

I took a photo of this print, thinking that it was new, but I have since recalled that this was already mentioned on another thread:

7%204%2015%20155_zpswj4lcwa1.jpg

7%204%2015%20156_zpsve4leirb.jpg

I took this photo at 8:23- there are a couple of Castmembers there pushing a cart with a PA system that is going to be used for the golf cart parade, which would be starting at 9am:

7%204%2015%20157_zpsxikfj2j1.jpg

As I headed back to my site, this wagon was going the other way.  I expected that we would be seeing that cart again in just a bit when the parade came by:

7%204%2015%20158_zpsl7ilp6y2.jpg

It was nice to be on the 900 loop, as we just had to make it out to the loop entrance to see the parade.

The parade was supposed to begin at 9:00, but we know that it moves slow, so we arrived a few minutes past 9 and set up some chairs on the shady side of the road, just past the judge's tent:

7%204%2015%20159_zpsmmacdkzw.jpg

I didn't get a photo of him, but the twins were excited to see that one of the judges was Nathaniel Palma, who is one of the two current WDW ambassadors.  He's a big deal, and we were all surprised that he was here.  You can read more about the ambassador program here: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/10/first-disney-ambassador-julie-reihm-casaletto-welcomes-new-ambassadors/

We timed our arrival perfectly, as we only had to wait for a couple of minutes for the parade to reach us.  The first cart was a Disney cart with a CM driving it:

7%204%2015%20160_zpsaaa1luuy.jpg

Then, just as I predicted, that pony cart was heading toward us.  But, they had picked up a passenger:

7%204%2015%20161_zps9epfuxew.jpg

We got Revolutionary War Goofy!:

7%204%2015%20162_zpsv78qx21h.jpg

7%204%2015%20164_zpsy2kjbq7c.jpg

You can see in the photo above the last one that there's a Disney CM in a yellow shirt who was serving as an announcer as each cart passed by.  She got to be a bit repetitive. 

Then came the carts.  I don't have much to say about them, except that there was a lot of red, white and blue.  I don't have photos of all of them either.  There were a lot.  I'll post a bunch here, and then finish up with one more update full:

7%204%2015%20165_zpsjtnlt45c.jpg

7%204%2015%20166_zpsksko9abw.jpg

7%204%2015%20167_zpsi7p9fplp.jpg

7%204%2015%20168_zpseucxnqcu.jpg

7%204%2015%20169_zpsaospeqt5.jpg

7%204%2015%20170_zpsqyadtwve.jpg

7%204%2015%20171_zpslhzaoppx.jpg

7%204%2015%20172_zpsrpxilu8r.jpg

7%204%2015%20173_zpsdvkpu1wm.jpg

7%204%2015%20174_zpscqnqefhk.jpg

7%204%2015%20175_zpswmqktcwu.jpg

7%204%2015%20176_zps4vmhpp5i.jpg

7%204%2015%20177_zpsuxptun28.jpg

7%204%2015%20178_zps2vkp0ie0.jpg

7%204%2015%20179_zpsepeaejkz.jpg

7%204%2015%20180_zpspevzkbne.jpg

7%204%2015%20181_zpscydpveu7.jpg

7%204%2015%20182_zps7z3jzwoy.jpg

7%204%2015%20183_zpsmqovf59l.jpg

7%204%2015%20184_zpsrumqxkm2.jpg

As we were watching all of that parade by, we had a visitor.

It was the Mayor of the Fort- Donnie.

He stopped by to say hello.  We caught up a bit while we watched all of the carts. He's been busy and hasn't been around the Fort much.  But, it was good to see a familiar face.  Donnie took off after a while, and a bunch more carts came.  I'll finish those up with one more batch of photos, then we'll move on.

TCD

As I warned at the end of the last update, here come some more 4th of July Golf Cart Parade photos.

You may notice, like I always do, that there's not a whole lot of variety in this parade.  People decorate their carts with flags and red, white and blue, and after a while, they all start to look alike.  I much more prefer the Halloween golf cart parade for this reason.  But, in case you haven't had enough, here's some more.  Most of you will be happy to hear that these are the last golf cart parade photos I'll be posting.  We will be moving on to breakfast at Trail's End after this.

7%204%2015%20185_zpshm9nwaok.jpg

7%204%2015%20186_zpst3eibbfg.jpg

7%204%2015%20187_zpsyricy97f.jpg

7%204%2015%20188_zpsztgjq6jo.jpg

7%204%2015%20189_zpsozwgighi.jpg

7%204%2015%20190_zps1xzozyff.jpg

7%204%2015%20191_zps8g8wajdb.jpg

7%204%2015%20192_zpsg2i02ffk.jpg

7%204%2015%20193_zpskjnxtgyr.jpg

7%204%2015%20194_zpsarg3nl3d.jpg

7%204%2015%20195_zpsw9e6pvfh.jpg

7%204%2015%20196_zps76oipd2v.jpg

7%204%2015%20198_zpsiq6mgmq0.jpg

7%204%2015%20199_zpsh9ba55j1.jpg

7%204%2015%20200_zpsy5x435wv.jpg

7%204%2015%20201_zpsn2eucrr9.jpg

7%204%2015%20202_zpsj4iknpvr.jpg

7%204%2015%20203_zpsna60hf0o.jpg

7%204%2015%20204_zps9fszdcoc.jpg

7%204%2015%20205_zps97kmzf2d.jpg

7%204%2015%20207_zpsmpnnjlqb.jpg

7%204%2015%20208_zpsizmhan4c.jpg

7%204%2015%20209_zpsii6sifpy.jpg

7%204%2015%20210_zpsp2tjuwb6.jpg

7%204%2015%20211_zpsy0zetn4e.jpg

7%204%2015%20212_zps9o7mz9x8.jpg

7%204%2015%20215_zpsmqx7av5i.jpg

7%204%2015%20216_zpsc80ois45.jpg

This year, the bagpiper was at the end of the parade, and he picked up a girlfriend along the way.  From what I've heard, this guy is a volunteer who just shows up for the opportunity to inflict his music on a captive audience:

7%204%2015%20217_zpselihquvo.jpg

And, thankfully, this IR marked the end of the parade:

7%204%2015%20218_zpssfd1u4m7.jpg

And that's all the golf cart parade photos I have.

Now, it's on to Trail's End for breakfast!

TCD