Another July 4 at the Fort TCD TR 2015

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really wanted Cars Land to come to DHS, but I guess the Fort is just as good......

Since you can have a Disney wedding it doesn't surprise me that you could have pictures taken within the parks if you've paid enough money.

I feel a little sad that none of those carts were driven by kids.

I'm wondering where TCD and the twins are now.

The two long days made today easy. We only had to drive 8 hours today. We made it to Anaheim at a bit past 6 pm local time. We've already been to In and Out Burgers, and the twins are out exploring. We will call it a night soon, and sleep in a bit tomorrow. It's hot here, but nothing like some of the desert temperatures we drove through today.

Thanks for all the prayers. Aside from the key incident, our drive was great.

TCD

That's a great video, Jason.

The local time is 11:28 pm in Arizona. We ended up with an 18 hour day today. But only 15 of that was driving 2 1/2 of the missing three hours are attributable to waiting for the locksmith to show up and pop the lock on Twin #2's car so we could get the keys she locked in the trunk.

TCD

Joining in late, been at Fort with GKs for a short stay. I always keep a spare key in my billfold to open the doors with, has gotten me out of trouble several times.

I'm happy that it is impossible to lock the keys in our cars.

My truck has the numbered key pad.

Rick's car is a push button start with the electronic fobs. We tried to lock my purse in the trunk of his car one time and I had a spare fob in my purse. It refused to lock shut as long as the fob was in there.

Rick's car is a push button start with the electronic fobs. We tried to lock my purse in the trunk of his car one time and I had a spare fob in my purse. It refused to lock shut as long as the fob was in there.

Yep I love my keypad on my Ford.

Well, there isn't going to be a trip report from the California trip- all we did was drive, drive and drive.  I didn't take any photos.

In Anaheim, we stayed at the Towneplace Suites near the Angels Stadium.  I chose that hotel primarily because it had free parking, and a big parking lot.  We had two cars to park before the DCP check-in. The hotel was nice, but looked like any Marriot property you could find anywhere in the US.  So, no photos of that either.

We didn't visit the parks while I was there- the twins don't get their Maingate passes until they complete traditions, and we all agreed it didn't make sense to pay for tickets when they would have free access to the parks in a few days.

Check in was on Sunday.  The move in was very well organized and went quickly.  The girls are in a two bedroom/ two bath apartment which they share with three other roommates.  The twins are the lucky ones who got the bunk beds.

Monday night was the welcome social.  This is a class photo of the participants for the fall program.  The twins and their roommates are in the front row holding the DLRCP (Disney Land Resort College Program) letters (one roommate is holding the R, and the twins have the C and P) :

dlrcp_zps7odjhfct.png

The building in the background is where all the DLRCP participants live.

The girls gave me a ride to the airport right after their party ended, and I took the redeye home to Tampa.

Twin #2 already had Traditions yesterday, which allowed her and two of her roommates to visit the parks last night.  She texted me these photos yesterday evening:

IMG_3121_zpst2eisfg6.png

IMG_3128_zpsnxv48v0d.png

Twin #1 doesn't have Traditions until tomorrow.  But, she'll be in the parks tomorrow night for sure.

Hopefully, I'll make it out there for a visit next month, and get some material for a trip report.

TCD

We rented an economy car a few years back and they gave us an Infinity with all the bells and whistles for the same price. Two thumbs up for Enterprise.

I went to gas it up on the return, and couldn't get the gas door open... until I had the car key in my hand.

When we returned the car and mentioned what happened, the counter person said they were wondering how to gas it up!  They hadn't figured it out.

Well, there isn't going to be a trip report from the California trip- all we did was drive, drive and drive.  I didn't take any photos.

In Anaheim, we stayed at the Towneplace Suites near the Angels Stadium.  I chose that hotel primarily because it had free parking, and a big parking lot.  We had two cars to park before the DCP check-in. The hotel was nice, but looked like any Marriot property you could find anywhere in the US.  So, no photos of that either.

We didn't visit the parks while I was there- the twins don't get their Maingate passes until they complete traditions, and we all agreed it didn't make sense to pay for tickets when they would have free access to the parks in a few days.

Check in was on Sunday.  The move in was very well organized and went quickly.  The girls are in a two bedroom/ two bath apartment which they share with three other roommates.  The twins are the lucky ones who got the bunk beds.

Monday night was the welcome social.  This is a class photo of the participants for the fall program.  The twins and their roommates are in the front row holding the DLRCP (Disney Land Resort College Program) letters:

dlrcp_zps7odjhfct.png

The building in the background is where all the DLRCP participants live.

The girls gave me a ride to the airport right after their party ended, and I took the redeye home to Tampa.

Twin #2 already had Traditions yesterday, which allowed her and two of her roommates to visit the parks last night.  She texted me these photos yesterday evening:

IMG_3121_zpst2eisfg6.png

IMG_3128_zpsnxv48v0d.png

Twin #1 doesn't have Traditions until tomorrow.  But, she'll be in the parks tomorrow night for sure.

Hopefully, I'll make it out there for a visit next month, and get some material for a trip report.

TCD

But what about D23?

Any additions to that coming, or did you already say everything in the other thread?

I'm curious about why the 2 cars and not share 1. Did you need them both to get all their stuff there?  Is the housing not within walking distance of the parks? And will you reverse the trip you just did when they are done (January??).  

This was a big debate.  The housing is not walking distance to the parks, and, unlike Florida, they do not provide transportation.  They do provide a city bus pass, and there is a regular city bus route that serves the area.

Originally, the plan was to share one car.  But, they have different roles, and will have different work locations and hours.  The parking lots they will be assigned to may or may not be the same.  They certainly could have figured out a way to share one car, but we opted to drive both.  We did need the space in both cars for their stuff, but we could have worked around that too.

The plans for coming home are not finalized.  One of their roommates shipped her car from Alabama for $900.  Considering time, gas, hotels, and wear and tear on the car, I am going to look into shipping their cars back, and flying them home.  But, we have time to figure that out.

TCD

The plans for coming home are not finalized.  One of their roommates shipped her car from Alabama for $900.  Considering time, gas, hotels, and wear and tear on the car, I am going to look into shipping their cars back, and flying them home.  But, we have time to figure that out.

TCD

If they're really really quiet, they can hide in the back seat and save on air fare :lol:

Glad the twins are settling in and apparently enjoying themselves. What a great opportunity for them and something I wish I had looked into when I was young and free. Bummer about D23. With all the major rumors going around about new attractions, movies, etc they should have guessed it was going to be bigger than what they planned for. Sorry it was a disappointment. Other than that glad you made it back in one piece and have future plans for another California run.

Glad you made it home safely and had a relatively uneventful trip!

Thanks.  Uneventful was good on this trip.

If they're really really quiet, they can hide in the back seat and save on air fare :lol:

You are a genius.

Glad the twins are settling in and apparently enjoying themselves. What a great opportunity for them and something I wish I had looked into when I was young and free. Bummer about D23. With all the major rumors going around about new attractions, movies, etc they should have guessed it was going to be bigger than what they planned for. Sorry it was a disappointment. Other than that glad you made it back in one piece and have future plans for another California run.

I didn't have high expectations for D23, and was surprised that it didn't even meet my low expectations.  I'm sure it was a blast for all the bloggers who got in for free and got reserved seating for the big presentations.  For paying customers, it wasn't so much fun.

So is their roommate from Alabama a Roll Tide or War Eagle fan?

Good question.  Because it has to be one or the other, right?  She is a roll tider.  Actually, she just graduated this past May, and is going to spend this year working and applying to physical therapy schools.  She is a very nice young lady, and her parents were super.  People from Alabama are awesome folk. Even those who root for the wrong team.

Maybe I should start shipping my camper to the Fort.

That's not such a bad idea.

guinness-brilliant-300x219.jpg

True.

TCD

Andrew, great trip report. I am so behind on everything here due to being so busy with my kids and work these days. Are the twins doing the same thing they did last year at WDW on at DL this year? Sorry to hear about D23. I saw you were there in another thread and thought you mad a trip out thee just for that. Pretty sad that there will only be one camping trip to the fort this year. We only have thanksgiving week left for the year. Canceled a few weekend trips due to $$$. May be time for you and the Mrs to buy a motor home to visit the kids and give her the comforts of home at the fort..lol

Andrew, great trip report. I am so behind on everything here due to being so busy with my kids and work these days. Are the twins doing the same thing they did last year at WDW on at DL this year? Sorry to hear about D23. I saw you were there in another thread and thought you mad a trip out thee just for that. Pretty sad that there will only be one camping trip to the fort this year. We only have thanksgiving week left for the year. Canceled a few weekend trips due to $$$. May be time for you and the Mrs to buy a motor home to visit the kids and give her the comforts of home at the fort..lol

I agree I always thought Andrew needed a small motor home.