Travel Restrictions on I-95 from South Jersey to Disney?

We are making our first trip to the fort in August. Actually, our first trip south of us with our travel trailer. I read a note about restrictions on the Tunnel in Baltimore (no propane tanks?). My husband thinks we'd be fine still going through the tunnel since we have EZ-Pass and wouldn't be stopping for the toll. My first question is, has anyone successfully driven through tunnel towing a travel trailer with propane tanks? Second, are there any other restrictions anywhere along I-95 that we should be aware of?

Thanks!

Adina in NJ

Welcome!

We come down 95 from NH and the Baltimore tunnels are the only restrictions.  We take the 695 loop around - usually to the west.  I prefer east, but DH isn't a fan of the Key Bridge. 

We haven't tried to go through the tunnels towing even with the EZ pass, as we carry two 20lb tanks.

The restriction is...

Vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using both the Fort McHenry and Baltimore Harbor tunnels. For additional information regarding these restrictions, please call 410-537-1374.

http://www.mdta.maryland.gov/Toll_Facilities/FMT.html

I'm not sure how much they patrol/police it, but I've heard reports of RVs being stopped and routed off of 95 into the city, which doesn't sound like a fun time.

My luck, I'd be the one that gets stopped and ends up blowing a bunch of my Disney budget on a ticket. 

I would avoid the Baltimore tunnels, not worth the chance or the fine. Get off the last exit in Del for 301 south and follow 301 into Va. and get back on 95 one exit above Kings Dominion, a much nicer ride no DC traffic to deal with. Some say it is not a better way but we prefer it to the 95 rat race.

We just returned from a NY vacation last week via I-95, but we didn't have any restrictions, just driving a car.

We ran into some delays at the South end of the Jersey Turnpike.  Construction on the Delaware Memorial Bridge had traffic backed up to the last toll booth of the turnpike.

Had some slow traffic on the Baltimore/Washington Parkway thru DC, but if you have a trailer you probably won't be going that way.

EZ Pass has made a mess of all of the Northern states toll booths that use it.

If you don't have the pass be prepared to sit in long lines and endure some white knuckled driving approaching the toll booths.

They have cut down on the manned cash booths and the signage stinks.  There may be 15 booths, they all take EZ Pass, 1/2 are closed, a couple are exact change only, and maybe 2 are manned that take bills and give change.  And each toll plaza had the manned ones in different locations to keep things interesting!

And a lot of the plazas didn't have the high speed by-pass lanes like we do down here for the Sun Pass system.

Our rental car had a plate pass system, but it was only good in FL and maybe GA.  Didn't work in the EZ Pass states.

If you have time, I would strongly suggest a stop at the National Museum of the Marine Corps at Triangle VA Exit 150A.

I'm a little partial since my daughter was (always is) a Marine, but this place is fantastic and well put together.

We had our 6 and 10 year old granddaughters with us and we let them set the pace and check out what interested them, so we missed quite a bit, but we did take in the boot camp,  WW 1, Vietnam Era, and the modern era displays.

It's not too far off I-95, easy to get to and a big parking lot.

I would avoid the Baltimore tunnels, not worth the chance or the fine. Get off the last exit in Del for 301 south and follow 301 into Va. and get back on 95 one exit above Kings Dominion, a much nicer ride no DC traffic to deal with. Some say it is not a better way but we prefer it to the 95 rat race.

This is the route we use now after numerous trips going through DC. And this is the gentleman who suggested it. Thanks again Rennie!

We avoid DC traffic by going through at around 3am on the way down and Saturday morning on the way back.  8)

Also the new "magical" road in VA is now open if you have EZ Pass.  I really have no idea how much that thing cost me (I was afraid to look at the statement) but we went through there by car in April and it was sooooooooo nice!

This is the route we use now after numerous trips going through DC. And this is the gentleman who suggested it. Thanks again Rennie!

Have you ever done/seen a time comparison between the 301 and I-95 routes?

301 looks like a pretty good road, but we were on 13 in Maryland and Delaware and it had a lot of stop lights and up and down speed zones.  Just wondering if 301 is the same?

What Rennie said. Avoids the tunnels and the Baltimore-DC area altogether. Get back on at Ruther Glen.

We were on 13 in Maryland and Delaware and it had a lot of stop lights and up and down speed zones.  Just wondering if 301 is the same?

13 in Delaware and Maryland does have a lot of lights. we always go 113 through Delaware and Maryland it runs parallel with 13 and a lot less lights they meet up in Pocomoke City right before VA state line

Oh and what is this magical road in VA you speak of???

Best Regards,

Norm

Oh yes, I sat next to them on the way down to Williamsburg in bumper to bumper traffic. The sign said no trailers and I had my utility one so I didn't go, and lo and behold I counted 8 trailers go by me or should I have said fly by me.

Best Regards,

Norm

13 in Delaware and Maryland does have a lot of lights. we always go 113 through Delaware and Maryland it runs parallel with 13 and a lot less lights they meet up in Pocomoke City right before VA state line

Oh and what is this magical road in VA you speak of???

Best Regards,

Norm

Thanks.  We had left Chincoteague Island and the Hertz GPS sent us up 13 to I-95 at the Delaware Bridge.

The magic road is limited access lanes on I-95 (and coming to I-4 in Orlando) that you pay extra to use.  The tolls are figured out based on how far you go, and the time of day.  More traffic and congestion on the "regular" road and your toll is higher.

Ruther Glen is in VA right above Richmond. What time and day are you planning to leave? If you leave at the right time, you may miss traffic in DC, but you would have to go through in the middle of the night. When we went last time, we left NJ at 11PM and got to FL-GA line the next day about 5ish. That would be your best bet.

Best Regards,

Norm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you ever done/seen a time comparison between the 301 and I-95 routes?

301 looks like a pretty good road, but we were on 13 in Maryland and Delaware and it had a lot of stop lights and up and down speed zones.  Just wondering if 301 is the same?

I havent done one. I do have a stress comparison though. Much less on 301 for me than Baltimore and DC. There are some lights on 301 and it slows down around Annapolis. Just regular traffic. Our average speed through that route stayed up between 50 and 55 for the most part and there are long stretches with no lights. 

I have seen people make it thru the tunnel and I have also seen them stopped, so it is a personal choice and one that I choose to go around. I also have a commercial drivers license and if I got stopped it would be worse, thus the choice. Some were stopped at the tolls and turned around to the correct route or sent thru town which is not a fun drive. The 301 route is a little longer but not bad. Another choice you could do is take 301 below Annapolis watch for 50 which will put you back on 95 at Landover which is maybe 5 miles from the WW bridge crossing the Potomac, but you could still hit heavy traffic in northern Va.

As Rennie said above you would be taking a chance by going thru the tunnel.  We have had good luck taking the Francis Scott Key Bridge but in recent years I always avoid all the cities by taking I-81 and then 66 to 17 to 95 in VA.

I don't think that would work too well coming from NJ though. I would either do the 301 option or the 113-13 to the Bay-Bridge-Tunnel.  

The Bridge-Tunnel route is very pretty but not very fast, also they have a pull over for RVs to check your propane is turned off before the bridge-tunnel entrance. The toll is expensive but worth it IMHO to avoid DC-Baltimore.  Plus you get a one-of-a-kind view of driving across the water.

If you go that way there are some nice campgrounds, good seafood, and the Mariners Museum in Norfolk where you can see the parts of the USS Monitor that were recovered a few years ago.