Want easy overnight between Detroit and Chicago

I'm planning on making a drive from just above Detroit (St. Clair, MI) to just west of Chicago (Sycamore, IL). We are going to break the drive up into a bit of evening and the next day to try and avoid rush hour in Chicago.

I'm looking for an easy/pull thru that I can arrive late and spend the night. Really, if it wasn't for wanting electric for A/C, a parking lot would do.

My folks used to live just outside Ann Arbor, MI and I lived in the Batavia, IL it was only a 3.5 - 4 hr drive for me. Sycamore would only be another 45 minutes to an hour from there on state roads and likely a bit less using the interstate and tollway. If you were to leave St Clair by 8 or 9  You should be through the Chicago interstate/tollway before the really heavy traffic starts. I would be careful if you are planning to take I-290 as it was really bad when we went through in May. It is in terrible shape and there was some construction. Likewise I-90 had a lot of construction east of Elgin but after that was good new road. On our trip we left Franklin, Ky around 8 - 9 AM and never hit any rush hour type of traffic all of the way to Union, IL.

Other than that I don't know about pull through but Indiana Dune State Park has back in sites and 50 amp services. I'm not sure about late arrivals but it should only be a 3 - 4 hour drive from where you are.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm kicking around dropping down to Howe, IN and spending the night. Then we could go to the RV Hall of Fame before heading to Sycamore. It would be about 4 hours and 4 hours of driving.

Google Maps says St. Clair to Sycamore is about 400 miles. For us, that's 8-hours or so once you factor in stops. Worse is that we aren't good at getting up and going early (9am is about our realistic limit).

We stayed at a place called Twin Mills in Howe last year. I know they have pull throughs because our neighbors had cars, bikes, and chairs on our site when we arrived late. We bailed on our assigned site and took a pull through for the evening.

Proximity to the city and checking off Illinois on my "camped in states" map. :)

We arrive at the campground Friday; on Saturday we'll drive into the city and stay at a hotel (hotel points) overnight before heading back to the campground Sunday night. Then Tuesday, we'll head to Fair Oaks, IN for 2 weeks so that I'm close to one of my favorite aunt's house and her family.