Hot on the heels of the D23 Expo announcement, this was just posted to the Disney Parks Blog...

The Jungle Cruise, one of Magic Kingdom Park’s most popular attractions, has delighted guests for years. And as it was just announced at the D23 Expo moments ago, Jungle Cruise fans will have even more to look forward to later this year when the brand-new Jungle Navigation Co., Ltd. Skipper Canteen restaurant opens in Adventureland.

buciewho743892-613x454.jpg

At the Jungle Skipper Canteen, guests will be able to experience “World Famous Jungle Cuisine” in one of several unique dining rooms – including a crew mess hall and a once-hidden secret meeting room of the famed Society of Explorers and Adventurers. The restaurant will also be staffed by Jungle Cruise Skippers.

The Jungle Skipper Canteen is currently under construction and will open its doors in late 2015. Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/08/jungle-navigation-co-ltd-skipper-canteen-to-open-at-magic-kingdom-park/

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about pics and a blog post? https://letsplanwdw.com/2016/07/19/dining-review-jungle-navigation-co-ltd-skipper-canteen/

Well, it looks like the TCD gang gets to claim bragging rights as the first Fiends to dine in the new Skipper Canteen restaurant.   We went on Saturday, December 19th, just a bit after 4 pm.  We walke

We had dinner there last night (Monday) and the server we had indicated that as far as they all were aware there were no plans to take ADR's.  Apparently a number of the guests have indicate they real

• 3 months later...

A photo update of the construction of the Skipper Canteen at Magic Kingdom has been posted to BlogMickey...

http://blogmickey.com/2015/11/skipper-canteen-construction-update/

It includes this little tidbit...

Here’s a look at what MiceChat believes to be the interior layout.

jc_canteen.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Soft openings starting next week.  Full opening planned for December 16th.

You have a good source.

Orlando Theme Park News is reporting that there will be a Castmember preview on December 6, and soft opening "soon thereafter."

Magic Kingdom Cast Members are invited to attend a one-day only preview of the new Jungle Navigation Co. Ltd. Skipper Canteen, opening later this month in Adventureland! They will be able to join the crew of new Skippers and tour the location to get a sneak peek of menu offerings. The Cast preview (NOT open to regular Guests) will be held on Sunday, December 6, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and from 3 to 6 p.m. The restaurant is expected to soft-open soon thereafter.

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2015/12/magic-kingdom-cast-members-to-preview.html

TCD

You have a good source.

Orlando Theme Park News is reporting that there will be a Castmember preview on December 6, and soft opening "soon thereafter."

Magic Kingdom Cast Members are invited to attend a one-day only preview of the new Jungle Navigation Co. Ltd. Skipper Canteen, opening later this month in Adventureland! They will be able to join the crew of new Skippers and tour the location to get a sneak peek of menu offerings. The Cast preview (NOT open to regular Guests) will be held on Sunday, December 6, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and from 3 to 6 p.m. The restaurant is expected to soft-open soon thereafter.

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2015/12/magic-kingdom-cast-members-to-preview.html

TCD

The "source" is a friend of mine very closely involved since the inception.  He also suggested waiting a while before trying the restaurant because the restaurant is large, the kitchen new, and it will take a while to get everything running smoothly.  That said, he also told me the restaurant looks great.

The "source" is a friend of mine very closely involved since the inception.  He also suggested waiting a while before trying the restaurant because the restaurant is large, the kitchen new, and it will take a while to get everything running smoothly.  That said, he also told me the restaurant looks great.

Something I haven't seen and I am curious about is the menu.  You got any info on that?

TCD

Something I haven't seen and I am curious about is the menu.  You got any info on that?

TCD

No I don't, but I wish I did.  The building was just turned over to the restaurant itself, so that is the end of my friend's involvement.  By the time I could find out, it will probably be published elsewhere. 

Looking forward to Liberty Tree again.  That was another tough fight to get done.  Also, some extra work there since a good portion of the existing staff elected to stay where they were temporarily assigned, resulting in needing to train a significant portion of the staff while getting used to the new kitchen, etc.  It got done though.

Did a search and found this:

Here is what we know so far about Skipper Canteen:

• Scheduled to open in “mid-December,” but a soft opening is possible
  • Asian, African, and South American-inspired cuisine
  • One menu – à la carte style
  • Table service for lunch and dinner – Will not be open for breakfast
  • Menu prices will not change from lunch to dinner
  • Full table-service/sit-down restaurant (Likely one table-service credit, but that remains to be decided)
  • The atmosphere will be in the same feel as 50’s Prime Time Cafe and Whispering Canyon

Found at:  http://www.doctordisney.com/2015/10/16/first-details-revealed-on-skipper-canteen-jungle-cruise-restaurant-coming-to-magic-kingdom/

No I don't, but I wish I did.  The building was just turned over to the restaurant itself, so that is the end of my friend's involvement.  By the time I could find out, it will probably be published elsewhere. 

Looking forward to Liberty Tree again.  That was another tough fight to get done.  Also, some extra work there since a good portion of the existing staff elected to stay where they were temporarily assigned, resulting in needing to train a significant portion of the staff while getting used to the new kitchen, etc.  It got done though.

Yes, I imagine the menu will be everywhere shortly after the CM preview.

That's interesting that the old staff at Liberty Tree Tavern chose not to return.  I always figured those server jobs in there were good jobs, since the prices were high and the place was always full.  Plus, it seems easier to just have to run out the same food to each table rather than having to take individual orders from each guest.  The last time we were in there, the servers seemed to be older, like the ones you see at the Hoop-Dee-Doo, which I've heard is a really good place to be a server money-wise.

Anyone wanting to eat at the Skipper Canteen ought to keep a close eye out for whenever ADR's open.  I'm guessing that this is going to be a hard place to get into for quite a while after it opens just because of the novelty of it.

TCD

That's interesting that the old staff at Liberty Tree Tavern chose not to return.  I always figured those server jobs in there were good jobs, since the prices were high and the place was always full.  Plus, it seems easier to just have to run out the same food to each table rather than having to take individual orders from each guest.  The last time we were in there, the servers seemed to be older, like the ones you see at the Hoop-Dee-Doo, which I've heard is a really good place to be a server money-wise.

TCD

The one aspect of Magic Kingdom that contributes to this is the fact it is more complicated to get to work.  This has more of an impact if you are running a bit late.  When my wife moved from the Magic Kingdom to Studios, she never missed having to park her car, wait for the bus, ride the bus, and then walk the tunnel to get to work.  When she got to Studios, she just parked her car and walked in.  While she enjoyed Magic Kingdom, she never missed that aspect.  If some of these people were placed at resort restaurants, they may have really liked the relaxed pace.  My wife worked at the Poly and really liked that atmosphere.  When she would pick up extra shifts at other resorts, she always enjoyed the relaxed feel.  In the parks, everything is much more rushed, both from the park staff itself, who want to serve guests as quickly as they can as well as the guests, who want to get done and keep going. 

I think a place like Hoop de Doo as well as Trails End retain people for so long is because it is so relaxed and has maintained the "old Disney" feel to it. 

The one aspect of Magic Kingdom that contributes to this is the fact it is more complicated to get to work.  This has more of an impact if you are running a bit late.  When my wife moved from the Magic Kingdom to Studios, she never missed having to park her car, wait for the bus, ride the bus, and then walk the tunnel to get to work.  When she got to Studios, she just parked her car and walked in.  While she enjoyed Magic Kingdom, she never missed that aspect.  If some of these people were placed at resort restaurants, they may have really liked the relaxed pace.  My wife worked at the Poly and really liked that atmosphere.  When she would pick up extra shifts at other resorts, she always enjoyed the relaxed feel.  In the parks, everything is much more rushed, both from the park staff itself, who want to serve guests as quickly as they can as well as the guests, who want to get done and keep going. 

I think a place like Hoop de Doo as well as Trails End retain people for so long is because it is so relaxed and has maintained the "old Disney" feel to it. 

That makes a lot of sense.  I know that it's a hassle for CM's just to get to work at the MK.  I've heard that it may become that way at DHS too, as part of the CM parking lot might get used for the Star Wars expansion.

TCD

That makes a lot of sense.  I know that it's a hassle for CM's just to get to work at the MK.  I've heard that it may become that way at DHS too, as part of the CM parking lot might get used for the Star Wars expansion.

TCD

That would not surprise me as even now during high crowd times, the cast has to park in the parking garage.  That garage is probably still underutilized after the closing of animation.  Some people have moved into the Animation building from particularly Team Disney, but there must be room in the garage since the cast has to park there sometimes anyway.

From WDWMagic...

New details on the upcoming Jungle Cruise Skipper Canteen 1 hour ago in "Skipper Canteen"

The opening of the Jungle Cruise Skipper Canteen at the Magic Kingdom is fast approaching, and today we've got some more details on what to expect.

Located in Adventureland just across from the Tree House, the restaurant will be table service for both lunch and dinner, with entrees averaging around $15 and desserts $8.

Capacity is around 220 guests, split into multiple rooms. The main dining room is the Mess Hall, with other smaller dining rooms leading from that central area, including one dining room hidden behind a bookcase which once served as a secret meeting room of the famed Society of Explorers and Adventurers. There is also a Schweitzer family dining room, separate from the Mess Hall.

The menu is inspired by the rivers of the world, with an emphasis on African, Asian and South American cuisine. Menu items include Char sui Pork, Steak with Yuca Fries, Stir Fy, Falafel with a Cucumber Salsa, Pineapple Coconut Cake.

As you would expect from the name, there are nods to the Jungle Cruise throughout, and servers are dressed in the same costume as the Jungle Cruise skippers.

Two signature cups will be available for purchase with signature drinks including the Punchline Punch and Schweitzer Slushie.

Still no word yet on an opening date, but it will begin offering walk-ups only later in December 2015, with reservations available following the initial walk-up only dining.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/skipper-canteen/news/06dec2015-new-details-on-the-upcoming-jungle-cruise-skipper-canteen.htm

They must have a no posting rule because there is nothing to be found on Instagram besides pics of a card that has the name on it and people are commenting it was great but no details.

Could be.  WDWMagic has CMs "on staff" that I'm assuming were at the preview.  The fact that they only posted general info and no photos would seem to suggest Disney might be cracking down on CMs leaking info before they're ready for it to be leaked.

You are correct. I went to the preview today. We were instructed from the start no photos on the safari. And they reminded us at every turn.

That card was actually a box of mints that was given to us. We were treated to some of the food that will be served there and some of the punch. They also had signs posted highlighting the other menu items that will be served there.

It looks amazing inside and they weren't even completely done yet. It's going to be a great dining experience.