• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about pics and a blog post? https://letsplanwdw.com/2016/07/19/dining-review-jungle-navigation-co-ltd-skipper-canteen/

Well, it looks like the TCD gang gets to claim bragging rights as the first Fiends to dine in the new Skipper Canteen restaurant.   We went on Saturday, December 19th, just a bit after 4 pm.  We walke

We had dinner there last night (Monday) and the server we had indicated that as far as they all were aware there were no plans to take ADR's.  Apparently a number of the guests have indicate they real

Official Disney Parks Blog post has more pics of the food...

Diners at Magic Kingdom Park can soon set off on a culinary adventure at a new eatery in Adventureland featuring “World Famous Jungle Cuisine.” The Jungle Navigation Co. Ltd. Skipper Canteen will open on December 16 at Walt Disney World Resort.

Just steps from the legendary Jungle Cruise attraction you can enjoy the bold, flavorful tastes of Asia, South America and Africa at this new 222-seat table-service restaurant staffed by the wisecracking crew of the Jungle Navigation Co. Ltd.

SCF9686906-613x409.jpg

SCF9686908-100x100.jpg
SCF9686900-100x100.jpg
SCF9686911-100x100.jpg
SCF9686907-100x100.jpg
SCF9686904-100x100.jpg
SCF9686901-100x100.jpg

There are three dining destinations within the company’s headquarters-turned-restaurant: Hungry passengers may find themselves in the mess hall or the jungle-inspired parlor once used by the company’s founder, Dr. Albert Falls and his family. Behind the once secret bookcase lies an additional dining room in a former meeting room of the mysterious Society of Explorers and Adventurers.

The Jungle Skipper Canteen touts an adventurous menu with some new and interesting dishes inspired by the exotic flavors of the rivers traveled on the Jungle Cruise. You can try head-on shrimp or sustainable fish collar, or stick with delicious, familiar tastes such as a grilled steak, pork tenderloin or chicken breast.

• House-made arepas with slow-cooked beef, black beans, tostones and queso fresco;
  • Dr. Falls’ Signature Grilled Steak, a strip loin marinated in sofrito and served with yuca planks, avocado and house-made chimichurri;
  • Rice Noodle Bowl with an Asian pho broth with choice of chicken, duck breast or tofu served with jalapeños and mix of fresh herbs;
  • Trader Sam’s Head-on Shrimp, with sustainable, local, farm-raised shrimp tossed in a chili-garlic sauce and served with Chinese broccoli and choice of five-grain or white rice;
  • Coconut Bar with Pineapple-Basil Compote and Vanilla Cream – a vanilla chiffon cake with coconut and lime topped with white chocolate ganache;
  • Kungaloosh! This African-inspired chocolate cake is served with caramelized bananas and cashew-caramel ice cream topped with coffee dust.

Little ones can try something a little different:

• Junior Skip’s Special Mac and Cheese is inspired by an Egyptian dish with ground beef, pasta, Béchamel Sauce and house-made cheese gratin, served with broccoli;
  • Amazon Annie’s House-made Arepas with slow-cooked beef, black beans and queso fresco served with yuca planks;
  • Sizzling Savanna Grilled Flank Steak with steamed broccoli and fingerling potatoes;
  • Smiley’s Little Croc of Chicken Noodle Soup;
  • Kids Volcano! (This gooey chocolate cake with caramel lava and exploding chocolate rocks will make your little one shout “ ‘UH OA!”)

Two non-alcoholic specialties will be served: the Punch Line Punch, with tropical fruit juice and mango puree (also available with a spiced rim for an extra zinger); and the Schweitzer Slush, with frozen apple juice and passion fruit topped with bursting green apple boba balls (legend has it this was first concocted by the noted explorer and humanitarian, Dr. Albert Slush).

The Disney Dining Plan is accepted, as well as Tables in Wonderland discounts.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/12/new-jungle-navigation-co-ltd-skipper-canteen-opens-dec-16-in-magic-kingdom-park-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

Wow.

So much for a soft opening.  They say it's open for business on December 16.

Just checked to see if there are any ADR's available on MDE.  Doesn't look like it yet.

I wonder if the site will crash when they do open it up for ADR's.  Didn't that happen when the opened up ADR's for Be Our Guest?

TCD

Just received an email that included confirmation of te full open date of dec 16. But interestingly it says they are not taking rates revaluing. Have guests go to the podium to inquire about availability.

Usually these tell us when ADRs will become available

The "Jungle Navigation Co. Ltd. Skipper Canteen" is showing up now as a restaurant where you can make ADR's on the official Disney site. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/magic-kingdom/jungle-navigation-skipper-canteen/

But, if you go to the calendar to select a date, no dates are shown as available.

It looks like they're getting ready to take ADR's soon, though.

TCD

Just came across this...

When the new Jungle Cruise-themed restaurant soft opened earlier this week, Tables in Wonderland discount cardholders were pleasantly surprised to learn that they were able to use their discount at this brand new establishment. However, their joy was short-lived as Tuesday December 15th was the final day that this Tables in Wonderland was accepted at this location. Disney has not said if or when this discount will be available again at this location, especially as it is likely going to be quite popular in the coming weeks as guests flood the parks looking for something new and different to eat.

http://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20151217/31113/5-walt-disney-world-dining-changes-happening-soon-all-guests-should-be-aware?page=1

Not surprised. They're jacking up the price this year for renewals, so of course they're cutting back the benefits!

Exactly.  The Tables in Wonderland program is not some magnanimous gift from Disney.  It's a shrewd money making gimmick that they use to lure guests into pre-paying for discounts that they will most likely never get to receive.  Will some guests save money?  Yes.  When too many actually benefit from it, Disney changes the rules to make them more favorable to Disney.

The Disney Dining Plan and the Disney Vacation Club are similar money making ruses.

You have to give them credit-they're very brilliant at making people happy to fork over their money.

TCD

We've stretched the DDP to its max with a family of 6, but we haven't used it in a few years. It was nice when they had free dining as a booking incentive. When you have a full kitchen at the cabins, though, I'd rather order from garden grocer or hit the winn-dixie for groceries. TIW paid for itself at $100 pretty quickly, but at $150 it's not worth it.

Well, it looks like the TCD gang gets to claim bragging rights as the first Fiends to dine in the new Skipper Canteen restaurant.

We went on Saturday, December 19th, just a bit after 4 pm.  We walked right up to the podium and requested a table in the Falls Family Dining Room.  The CM offered a pager or said they could text me when the table was ready.  I elected text, expecting that we'd have a bit of a wait, but she said not to go too far, as our wait would only be about ten minutes.  It was less.  We basically walked in.

The atmosphere of the place is fantastic.  The food and service were good. My daughter had the "Tastes Like Chicken," and I had the head-on shrimp. We also tried the dumpling appetizer.  I think the prices are too high, but they are in line with other table service restaurants at WDW.

I want to go again as soon as possible.  This soft opening is awesome.  I have a feeling that once they start taking ADR's, then you can forget about walking up for a table.  I predict they have another hit on their hands here.

TCD

Well, it looks like the TCD gang gets to claim bragging rights as the first Fiends to dine in the new Skipper Canteen restaurant.

We went on Saturday, December 19th, just a bit after 4 pm.  We walked right up to the podium and requested a table in the Falls Family Dining Room.  The CM offered a pager or said they could text me when the table was ready.  I elected text, expecting that we'd have a bit of a wait, but she said not to go too far, as our wait would only be about ten minutes.  It was less.  We basically walked in.

The atmosphere of the place is fantastic.  The food and service were good. My daughter had the "Tastes Like Chicken," and I had the head-on shrimp. We also tried the dumpling appetizer.  I think the prices are too high, but they are in line with other table service restaurants at WDW.

I want to go again as soon as possible.  This soft opening is awesome.  I have a feeling that once they start taking ADR's, then you can forget about walking up for a table.  I predict they have another hit on their hands here.

TCD

While not taking ADRs yet its no longer a soft opening either. That would mean they may not be open some days and they officially opened on Dec 16. No word on when for ADRs still. Some are suspecting after the holidays. 

Thanks Mo. Leaving at the crack of dawn tomorrow morning! Will be there through New Years. TCD, any trips over the holidays planned? Buy you a beer!

Beer?

I'm in.

Yes, there will be hopefully be a couple more day trips over the holidays.  The exact dates are up in the air, as I'm working out some logistics relating to getting the TCD twins back from California on January 2.

I think you've got a great shot of getting in to the Skipper Canteen.  I was surprised by how un-busy it is.  The unwashed masses don't know about it yet, and the Spreadsheet Brigade already made their holiday ADR's months ago, so it's kind of like the good old days when you could walk-up to a restaurant and get a table.  If lunch-time doesn't work, we had good luck with an early dinner.

TCD