I also think many people are turned off by the menu, because it's not standard theme park fare and they don't serve chicken nuggets for the kids. I for one am happy to see some variety and think something with an 'international flair' was sorely needed at the MK. They need some better dining options there.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about pics and a blog post? https://letsplanwdw.com/2016/07/19/dining-review-jungle-navigation-co-ltd-skipper-canteen/

Well, it looks like the TCD gang gets to claim bragging rights as the first Fiends to dine in the new Skipper Canteen restaurant.   We went on Saturday, December 19th, just a bit after 4 pm.  We walke

We had dinner there last night (Monday) and the server we had indicated that as far as they all were aware there were no plans to take ADR's.  Apparently a number of the guests have indicate they real

They need some better dining options there.

Agreed.

And this place is such a welcome oasis from the craziness outside. 

I'm not sure if you caught this- but there are three dining rooms inside.  The main room is called the Crew Mess Hall (or something like that).  It's a big, open room, and seemed kind of noisy.  Then there are two smaller rooms.  I requested the Falls Family room (or something like that), and liked the décor and quietness in there.  The other room also looked nice. I would request one of the smaller rooms.  You can see the big room as you walk through it, but I liked the atmosphere in the smaller rooms better than the big room.

TCD

WDWMagic has posted a review and lots of photos. 

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/skipper-canteen/news/23dec2015-review---jungle-cruise-skipper-canteen-at-the-magic-kingdom.htm

Contrary to a lot of dining reviews on the big blogs, this one is not all sunshine and rainbows. 

Some excerpts...

For appetizers, we started with the House-made Arepas and the S.E.A. Shu Mai. Priced at $9.50, the Arepas are served with slow-cooked beef, black beans, tostones, and queso fresco. The flavor was good, as was the serving size. It makes a great sharing plate, and priced at under $10 is good value.

Skipper-Canteen_Full_26264.jpg?width=800

Anything named after the S.E.A. had to be tried, so for the second appetizer we tried the Shu Mai priced at $10. Served in a stainless steel pot, you get around 5 pieces of the steamed Gyoza Skin wrapped pork, shrimp, mung bean dumpling. Like the Arepas, we were impressed with the flavor, and it is an ideal sharing dish.
Skipper-Canteen_Full_26263.jpg?width=800

Although the steak was well cooked, the dish was essentially 5 pieces of flank steak on romaine, with the tiniest serving of peppers and a single cherry tomato and dressing. We hunted around, but didn’t manage to find the cucumbers or red onions. Flank steak isn’t the most tender of meats, and the dish just became boring after a couple of bites. For $18 it was not good value for money, and wouldn’t be a dish that we would order again.

Our second entree was Skip’s Mac and Cheese, priced at $19. Described as typical Egyptian dish consisting of Spiced Ground Beef, Pasta, and Béchamel Sauce served with Broccoli. It was heavy on the pasta, and light on the beef, and even lighter on the broccoli. Had it not had any beef, it would seem more like a side dish, although it was certainly sized for an entree, and being so pasta heavy, was difficult to finish. As with the Steak Salad, this dish would not be one we would reorder.

I don't disagree with the WDW review, but I'm not sure what they expected when they ordered a salad and macaroni and cheese. 

As I've already said, compared to other WDW sit-down restaurants, this place is above average.

Here are some photos from my visit last Saturday. . .

This is the main dining room.  I like it and the theming, but I'd rather sit in one of the two quieter rooms:

12%2019%2015%20128_zpsgp5edlp2.jpg

You are free to walk around and look at the other rooms in the restaurant. You have to walk through the S.E.A. room to get to the restrooms, which are in the back:

12%2019%2015%20130_zpsvgm7yu6q.jpg

Any true Disney fan would want to know how the restrooms are themed.  I know I did.  So, here's the men's room.  It's very small- one urinal, one toilet, and one sink:

12%2019%2015%20131_zpsci2f1tmt.jpg

This work of art was displayed in the SEA room- I rather like it:

12%2019%2015%20134_zps6tc69g5m.jpg

We sat in the Falls Family Parlor room.  I had seen photos of bird chandeliers from there, and wrongly thought they were modeled after the Tiki Room birds.  I thought wrong,  These are not Jose and his squad- just generic parrots:

12%2019%2015%20140_zpszm6flome.jpg

Here's the clever backstory of the restaurant, as explained by the menu:

12%2019%2015%20141_zpswnjhkofu.jpg

This is the complementary bread service.  The main ingredient of that dipping sauce is honey.  And it's really good stuff!:

12%2019%2015%20143_zpsj7iruer1.jpg

Branded coasters- a nice touch (and free souvenir):

12%2019%2015%20144_zps8ttpteuy.jpg

I've read the reports of folks raving over the dumpling appetizer, which has some complicated name.  They're just funny shaped dumplings:

12%2019%2015%20145_zps9wc97qa9.jpg

I liked them fine. But, they're just dumplings.  I'd put them on the level of 'Ohana dumplings.  Good.  But, not extraordinary.  The dipping sauce had some zip to it, which made them a bit better than your average dumpling.  But, they're just dumplings.

I was on the fence between ordering the pork dish or the shrimp dish.  I asked our server what she liked best on the menu, and she said the shrimp.  They say on the menu that it's "head on" shrimp.  And it was.  I can't say I've ever seen shrimp served this way in a restaurant.  And, I've been to New Orleans a few times:

12%2019%2015%20146_zpsxs4qemua.jpg

Yeah, that's $25 worth of head-on shrimp.  That's five bucks a shrimp.  Kind of steep.  But, remember where we are.

And one minor complaint- that slimy green stalk is my side of broccoli.  Really Disney?  You can't spare some flowerets on a $25 dish?

DD had the Tastes Like Chicken. This was a more generous serving portion, and the chicken's head was removed:

12%2019%2015%20147_zps7oe3hxce.jpg

Both of our entrées were well prepared, and had great seasoning.

I didn't like the price, but I liked the food and the atmosphere.  I really could have used a couple more shrimp too.

I loved this detail in our room:

12%2019%2015%20148_zps4v2efdcu.jpg

That's all I have to say about the food.

I say go and try it.

A bulletin board in the main dining room caught my eye on the way out- here are some things that were posted on it:

12%2019%2015%20149_zpstobhkgfe.jpg

12%2019%2015%20150_zpsnl9db3tw.jpg

12%2019%2015%20151_zps8f2bxdvw.jpg

Here's the restaurant entrance- the covered area they're using used to be where the TCD gang would sit to enjoy our Dole Whips.  But time marches on, and the Dole Whip stand isn't next door anymore, so I guess I don't care that our seating area is gone:

12%2019%2015%20154_zpsmo1wx8ad.jpg

I'm going to try to get back there in the next couple of weeks.  I'm going to try the pork next time.

TCD

Thanks TCD!

It's good to get a firsthand Fiend review.  Agreed on the pricing but as you say, remember where you are.

I'll be interested to hear what you and others think of some of the other dishes on the menu as well.  Like you said, not sure what the WDWMagic folks expected of mac and cheese and a salad.

I also expect that the menu may end up being tweaked over time as these are still early days, but we'll see how popular it ends up being.

Oh and 10 bonus points for the bathroom photo.  8)

I've been stalking the official Disney site trying to see if ADR's open so I can make one for down the road.

I noticed today that they have the full menu posted now- it wasn't there last week:  https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/magic-kingdom/jungle-navigation-skipper-canteen/menus/lunch/

I forgot to mention in my brief review that those souvenir copper mugs were not available when I visited, and they're not on the menu.

TCD

Just saw the double post - editing.

We got there right at 11 and the inside was pretty empty, so I was able to get some great photos of the interior. Our skipper told us they've had good reviews so far, definitely split along people who are thrilled that there are other park food options and a few people that were upset that junior can't eat their chicken nuggets.

Probably won't get a review in until after our trip.

We ate here last week - we had a spread of the appetizers and they were all yummy - as TCD said expensive, but it's Disney.  Will definitely go again, hopefully within the next week to ten days.  

WE asked one of the managers when they were going to go to ADRs and she said not until the new year.  So everyone is good until then for walk-ins.

Just saw the double post - editing.

We got there right at 11 and the inside was pretty empty, so I was able to get some great photos of the interior. Our skipper told us they've had good reviews so far, definitely split along people who are thrilled that there are other park food options and a few people that were upset that junior can't eat their chicken nuggets.

Probably won't get a review in until after our trip.

We ate here last week - we had a spread of the appetizers and they were all yummy - as TCD said expensive, but it's Disney.  Will definitely go again, hopefully within the next week to ten days.  

WE asked one of the managers when they were going to go to ADRs and she said not until the new year.  So everyone is good until then for walk-ins.

Thanks for the info! 

Wife and I just ate at the Skipper about 2 hours ago. Wife says skip it, pork was salty and tough, noodle bowl was bland, manager came over and basically to us how we SHOULD be enjoying the meal- Not exactly magical. She did however comp us 2 desserts so we had the Kongaloosh cake and the coconut compote, both pretty good. Overpriced at 65 bucks for 2 entrees no appetizers, mediocre bread and honey 2 soft drinks and 2 free deserts with tip. Add a point for seating us within minutes on New years day in a park with zero dinner reservations available.

My 2 cents

OK, sorry for the delay in posting this but I had to wait until I got home to put a review together. Seems like it was so long ago now (almost two weeks!).

We arrived at MK on the 24th around 10:30. Fighting the crowds, we angled over towards Adventureland and stopped at the Canteen to see if we could get in for an early lunch. It wasn't too crowded yet, but there was a short line and they took our information and phone number and let us know they'd be opening at 11.

24174651795_92d4861d07_z.jpg

The seating area under the covered veranda is lovely, has nice chairs and games for the kids.

23546484934_1436cf0ab0_z.jpg

23546480324_0292135097_z.jpg

23547891383_d85b072360_z.jpg

Before too long, one of the skippers came over and led us into the restaurant - never even got a text.

24148579866_61bc82a3ac_z.jpg

Like TCD, we were seated in the main dining hall. However, as the restaurant had just opened there was plenty of opportunity to walk around and take photos - in fact, our Skipper encouraged it and gave us a few things not to miss.

24092072531_7569406474_z.jpg

24066620292_4bed9a4964_z.jpg

24066619902_cc93fdd2fa_z.jpg

23546474014_96a261709e_z.jpg

23879045190_69c149a8cd_z.jpg

Sorry for the blurry one below.

23806861609_2d5d1400f6_z.jpg

It appears that you can ship the eighth wonder of the world...

24174652375_ba0ba1a3f3_z.jpg

Looking back towards the entrance, one can see Dr. Albert Falls' office on the second floor

23806846009_f9aa1da1a4_z.jpg

There are three other offices on the second floor, Skipper Harper (Goff), Skipper Marc (Davis), and Skipper Bill (Evans), a nice nod to the original Imagineers of the Jungle Cruise ride.

23879042290_5f88cb3987_z.jpg

23547878623_e75157289d_z.jpg

A better shot of Dr. Falls' office

24092052001_2e8713ba8a_z.jpg

23547871343_e53c38e714_z.jpg

And the Skipper's bulletin board

23879043350_63daf06ddc_z.jpg

Lots of beautiful theming and nods to the Jungle Cruise

24066600732_fb17f66d74_z.jpg

Oh, but what's this? A secret door in a bookcase?

23879046520_278ee25f5b_z.jpg

Following through the 'secret' passageway led to the 'SEA' room. Lots of great theming and nods to the Adventurer's Club in there.

24148569096_fb12a61950_z.jpg

A closeup of the crest:

23546470044_566f288821_z.jpg

One side of the room, complete with map of the Orient:

24092066711_6835d14fb1_z.jpg

The other side, with fireplace:

23806848889_36f8891d6b_z.jpg

A closeup of the painting showing Dr. Falls and the Jungle Cruise:

23547876373_433cfb79b9_z.jpg

Seating alcove, complete with sea monster mural:

24148571856_6479979aa2_z.jpg

And, perhaps the most beautiful part of the room, the butterfly collection table:

24174670365_21424a6f6a_z.jpg

I did not take any photos of the bathrooms, TCD, you've got me there.

The third dining room is the Falls' Family Parlor, and is home to their collection of Royal Doulton China as well as some beautiful chandeliers.

24092069281_e3da606b66_z.jpg

24092063631_4cbde52bfd_z.jpg

23546466754_be72820671_z.jpg

23546461324_964e80b6cf_z.jpg

What a beautiful restaurant. Meal review and general thoughts in the next post.

So, being that we were there for an early lunch, we decided to order a few appetizers and split a couple of entrees.

Our skipper brought us drinks quickly and liberally sprinkled puns and jokes throughout the meal. Just an FYI, the souvenir mugs were not available for purchase when we were there; apparently they had some on hand for the initial open and will be getting more in after the holiday rush.

(sample: Oh, are you visiting Florida?

Did you take a plane here? *skips beat*

Did you bring it back? *rimshot*)

She also brought us some delicious flatbread with a honey-based dipping sauce. I liked it (the sauce), my kids liked it, my wife thought it was too sweet.

23806841319_cfdc5fdb38_z.jpg

For appetizers we ordered the falafel and arepas; both were excellent and well seasoned.

24066608202_b0a1edab2b_z.jpg

We also got the Shu Mai dumplings, which were awesome and we actually ordered a second plate of them. I was also impressed that they brought out real chopsticks for the meal, not the ones you snap apart that you get at most restaurants (and even the California Grill).

24148561856_87a444b1d6_z.jpg

These four appetizers fed a family of 6 with no problem, and we had room for a few entrees.

Rice noodle bowl with Chicken:

24066603822_322c7eb4b8_z.jpg

We really enjoyed this, although I felt it could have been seasoned a bit better initially, by the time I got to the bottom the broth was the best part (complete with thai peppers) and was great when sopped up with the flatbread. Yum. We ordered two of these bowls.

We also ordered the Char Sui Pork, which had just the right amount of spice and was quickly devoured by everyone:

23546459994_4f1ae1d3ee_z.jpg

I really liked that dish.

Lastly, we ordered two desserts: the Kungaloosh (a cake, not a drink!) and the "Banh Bong Lan" cake with Mango-lime sorbet.

23547872103_81079c5f72_z.jpg

The Kungaloosh! was the table favorite and the second dessert wasn't bad either.

We really enjoyed the meal, although I can see how people that are either not familiar with different cuisines or the way they are seasoned might have difficulty navigating the menu. Our skipper said that the reviews had been mostly positive, as I mentioned, with most split into two camps: those expecting traditional theme park fare and those looking for a little something different. Comparisons to Be Our Guest are tough, because that menu is very 'continental' and really doesn't stretch beyond the traditional. This menu (link to the lunch menu: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/magic-kingdom/jungle-navigation-skipper-canteen/menus/) has a little bit of many cuisines, much like a fusion restaurant. I think people will either like it or hate it - the food was good, the prices comparable to other sit-down meals and the atmosphere was wonderful. Because they are not accepting reservations yet it's easy to think of this as another walk-up counter-service type meal, and I'm hoping management gives it a shot and doesn't change the menu or vibe. It could definitely use booze, especially with some of the spicier meals - perhaps at dinner. I spoke with a couple of different skippers, and everyone seemed very enthusiastic about the place. I even saw Skipper Brian from Trader Sam's working the host station.

It wasn't packed during our stay the few times we stopped by, but with the text-based system it was hard to tell what the waits were like. I did get a comment from one of the skippers, that they had found that people that already had reservations at other places during the holiday week were reluctant to give them up to try this restaurant, especially with the monetary penalty for last-minute cancellations.

Yes, the prices are high but not outrageous for Disney, and I think once this place settles in it will have a regular audience.

Given the time and opportunity on our last day I would absolutely have gone back for another meal.

23879038040_2667a209c1_z.jpg

There are three other offices on the second floor, Skipper Harper (Goff), Skipper Marc (Davis), and Skipper Bill (Evans), a nice nod to the original Imagineers of the Jungle Cruise ride.

23879042290_5f88cb3987_z.jpg

Excellent job on the review and the photos!

Did a CM tell you about the names on the doors, or did you figure that out yourself?

Also, you didn't mention it, so maybe you didn't hear it, but there are sound effects and dialog that you can periodically hear coming form those offices.

One more detail- the red and green lights you see up there on the balcony are the same signal lights that are used on the Jungle Cruise attraction.

TCD

23547871343_e53c38e714_z.jpg

Thanks for the reminder - the sound effects, as far as I could tell, were coming from these four 'vents' (which are likely disguised speakers). We heard all kinds of noises, elephant sounds (doing dishes?!?) and conversations coming from them while we were there.

I knew the names on the doors. Sometimes it pays to be an Imagineering nerd. Bill Evans was the landscape designer, Marc Davis was the main conceptual artist and gag writer, and Harper Goff designed the boats and ride mechanics.

I figured the lights were the same as the ride, we actually went right from here to the Jingle Cruise (had a great skipper and a lot of fun).

I knew the names on the doors. Sometimes it pays to be an Imagineering nerd. Bill Evans was the landscape designer, Marc Davis was the main conceptual artist and gag writer, and Harper Goff designed the boats and ride mechanics.

Good for you.  I don't have time to upload photos today, but I took the TCD twins to the Skipper Canteen on Sunday night.  The twins just arrived back from California that morning, but we had to go before they head back to school.  Twin #1 just finished a six month gig as a Jungle Cruise Skipper at Disneyland, and expected to not like the fake Skippers working in this restaurant.  Her experience was actually the opposite of what she expected.  She LOVED it.  Our server was very good, and told some pretty good jokes. Then Twin #1 told her some, and it came out that she had been a Skipper at Disneyland.  Our server was very impressed, and that began a constant parade of visitors to our table from the other CM's who wanted to meet a real Disneyland Skipper.  A couple of the servers had been actual Skippers at the MK, and the conversations between them and my daughters were especially interesting.  We spent a lot of time looking at and talking about details in the restaurant, and how the WDW and Disneyland versions differ.

I have some photos to share, and my reviews of a couple of more menu items.  I'll get to that in the next day or two.

There was one detail in the restaurant that puzzled us, and the CM's couldn't figure it out either.  Maybe your imagineering nerd skills will help with that.

TCD