Toy Story Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

As confirmed today at the D23 Expo, here's the official announcement from the Disney Parks Blog...

We have some exciting news to share today. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Bob Chapek just unveiled plans for Toy Story Land, to be built at Disney’s Hollywood Studios at the Walt Disney World Resort. The new land, inspired by the “Toy Story” film franchise, will allow guests to shrink to the size of a toy and explore the world of Andy’s backyard.

TSL181008.jpg

According to Imagineer Kathy Mangum, Toy Story Land was inspired by the overwhelming guest response to Cars Land at Disney California Adventure park at the Disneyland Resort.

“As all of you know, here in Anaheim, we’ve been quite successful with taking immersive experiences to a whole new level as we did with Cars Land. In fact, one of our favorite stories from opening day is that we overheard a little boy asking his mom, ‘Is this where they filmed the Cars movie?'” Kathy said. “That’s exactly how we want people to feel – like they’ve stepped onto the set of their favorite film … like the quaint town of Radiator Springs or, in the case of ‘Toy Story,’ the wild and adventurous outdoors of Andy’s backyard.”

When Toy Story Land opens at the park, guests will be able to play with some of their favorite toys at two new attractions that will be unique to the Walt Disney World Resort, plus one expanded favorite:

TSL203431.jpg

• Family-friendly roller coaster – Guests board Slinky Dog’s back for a thrilling toy-filled coaster adventure that’s ideal for the entire family.
  • Alien saucers attraction – The famous little green aliens from the movie will take guests around for a spin in their very own flying saucers – but beware The Claw!
  • Toy Story Mania! – This current guest-favorite attraction, which allows guests to take aim at 3D objects in into the Toy Story Midway Games Play Set, will expand with more midway track that takes you into the world under Andy’s bed where he’s built a carnival-style midway.

Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more details. In the meantime, tell us what you think of the Toy Story Land announcement in the “Comments” section below!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/08/toy-story-land-to-come-to-life-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe they'll retheme LMA in cooperation with HotWheels, then it would fit with Toy Story Land! And, at the threshold between TSL and Star Wars Land how about some human-sized Star Wars Lego kits? I'l

And what would they call the people who have to clean that ride... wipers?

This morning on Good Morning America they announced Toy Story Land will open on June 30th.  

Orlando Theme Park News zoomed in and cropped out some individual attractions from the concept art...

The reimagining of Disney’s Hollywood Studios will take guests to infinity and beyond, allowing them to step into the worlds of their favorite films, starting with Toy Story Land. This completely new 11-acre land will transport guests into the adventurous outdoors of Andy’s backyard. Guests will think they’ve been shrunk to the size of Woody and Buzz as they are surrounded by oversized toys (and multiple new offerings) that Andy has assembled using his vivid imagination. 

Using toys like building blocks, plastic buckets, and game board pieces, Andy has designed the perfect setting for this land, which will include two new attractions for any Disney park and an expanded favorite.

RHeu85Q.jpg

Family-friendly roller coaster – All on the back of Slinky Dog, this coaster will zip and zoom, plunge and coast as it takes guests on a fun, toy-filled adventure throughout the new land:

6b57ET0.jpg

hOeWt1X.jpg

NaNzp4R.jpg

Alien saucers attraction – The famous little green aliens from the movie will take guests around for a spin in their very own flying saucers. The music, lighting and sound effects add to the flurry of action, while “The Claw” looms over.

h2CtuFr.jpg

Toy Story Mania! – Guests glide into the Toy Story Midway Games Play Set and take aim at 3D objects in a variety of fast-paced games, with an expansion that adds a third track to this popular attraction.

And this is just the beginning, as the land will also feature many new meet-and-greet locations, a themed restaurant (probably a new version of Pizza Planet), themed stores, and much more.

2G5pmQO.jpg

e5cuun7.jpg

RENDERING: ©2015 Disney. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2015/08/new-toy-story-land-coming-to-hollywood.html

I'm confused looking at the concept art. The only place I can figure TSM sits is in the blocky building in the bottom-left. But directly across the street from it is currently the back side of the Great Movie Ride building. It is not there in these renderings. I can't imagine them plowing the thing in (dated as it is) so maybe I don't have my bearings.

I'm confused looking at the concept art. The only place I can figure TSM sits is in the blocky building in the bottom-left. But directly across the street from it is currently the back side of the Great Movie Ride building. It is not there in these renderings. I can't imagine them plowing the thing in (dated as it is) so maybe I don't have my bearings.

My best guess is they are changing where you enter Toy Story Mania. I agree those block things on the left would be the ride but I think the land will be behind the current ride. The backlot your was back there and most of what they have recently closed is back there too.

An interesting opinion piece by someone that isn't necessarily a fan, but thinks Toy Story Land may be Disney's solution to getting something up "cheap and fast" in a park that's desperately in need...

http://www.disneytouristblog.com/toy-story-land-announced-disney-world/

If that's really the case, I suppose it's possible that Toy Story Land will go up fairly quickly, while they take their time on Star Wars Land - which if you believe any of this, is the bigger, and more ambitious project.

So Jason, if I'm following you, you are saying that World Drive would be just behind the load house for the Slinky dog coaster and this rendering is looking basically SW? If so it kinda looks like the Y-shaped pathways to the left fall about where residential street is now, so they could be keeping the car stunt show?

So Jason, if I'm following you, you are saying that World Drive would be just behind the load house for the Slinky dog coaster and this rendering is looking basically SW? If so it kinda looks like the Y-shaped pathways to the left fall about where residential street is now, so they could be keeping the car stunt show?

I dont know for sure but there have been rumors that LMA might be disappearing at some point too. That is pretty much the direction I am guessing it will be laid out in though. I do know they are making changes to the queues inside for adding the third rail to the ride. it wouldnt be hard to swap the entrance from one side to the other of the building. 

Just a guess but the entrance to the area could come off where the animation building area is now and then flow out to include the backlot, the building that had the rotating attraction next to Toy Store (the barn facade accessing that maybe?) and come down to the edge of LMA at least. 

Honestly and this is just an opinion. I suspect this will be the last year for the Streets of America and the Muppet Movie. LMA is a pretty decent draw but I dont know if they will keep that shoe horned in between Star Wars and Toy Story if it falls the way I am thinking 

I of course am willing to be completely wrong on all of this but its fun to try and fit the pieces in. 

Maybe they'll retheme LMA in cooperation with HotWheels, then it would fit with Toy Story Land! And, at the threshold between TSL and Star Wars Land how about some human-sized Star Wars Lego kits? I'll be waiting for your call, Disney Imagineering...

Maybe they'll retheme LMA in cooperation with HotWheels, then it would fit with Toy Story Land!

There is already a toy story area in Hong Kong so this is not a new idea. They have a neat hot wheels ride there.

Hmmm.... Shannon, you might be onto something!  8)

Honestly I'd be A-OK with LMA going away or turning into something else.

Been there, done that, don't need to see it again.

Maybe they'll retheme LMA in cooperation with HotWheels, then it would fit with Toy Story Land! And, at the threshold between TSL and Star Wars Land how about some human-sized Star Wars Lego kits? I'll be waiting for your call, Disney Imagineering...

The last time we saw LMA a couple of months ago, they brought out Lightning McQueen and another character from Cars.  It was pretty obvious that they were at least considering re-theming LMA to a Cars based attraction.  

• 1 month later...

From WDWMagic...

Toy Story Mania third track to open much earlier than expected?
4 hours ago in "Toy Story Mania"

When Disney announced the third track addition to Toy Story Mania back in March of this year a completion date of late 2016 was given.

Some recent information that has found its way to us however, suggests that the third track may in-fact be operational as soon as the end of this year, in 2015. An early opening would bring much needed capacity to the park for the busy holiday season.

One possibility for the vast difference in completion dates could be that the originally announced late 2016 date includes the full reconfiguration of the ride for its opening as part of Toy Story Land. This is expected to see the entrance completely re-routed to the rear of the current building, and the current entrance to become a backstage area. If the third track does become operational this year, it will likely use much of the existing queue and entrance.

Disney has not yet officially made any announcement on the status of Toy Story Mania's expansion other than the originally announced late 2016 completion date.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/toy-story-mania/news/18sep2015-toy-story-mania-third-track-to-open-much-earlier-than-expected.htm

We have an old thread with more info from when the third track was first announced in this thread...

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/13914-disney-testing-fp-only-at-tsmm-oct-6-9/page-4

• 1 year later...

Whelp, here we are two years and more from the announcement, and the Slinky Dog Coaster ride vehicles have been delivered!

First Look: Slinky Dog Dash Ride Vehicle Arrives At Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Jennifer Fickley-Baker

by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Editorial Content Manager, Walt Disney World Resort

The Slinky Dog Dash attraction, currently under construction in Toy Story Land, celebrated a major milestone today – National Slinky Day – with the reveal of the coaster’s first Slinky Dog ride vehicle.

Slinky Dog Dash is one of two major attractions coming to Toy Story Land, a 11-acre expansion that’s set to open at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Summer 2018. In Toy Story Land, guests will shrink to the size of a toy and explore the world of Andy’s backyard on two fun family attractions – Slinky Dog Dash and Alien Swirling Saucers.

Slinky Dog Dash is a family coaster themed as if Andy built it in his backyard using his Mega Coaster Play Kit and some of his other favorite toys. The attraction’s ride vehicles, inspired by the character of Slinky in the film, will send riders dipping, dodging and dashing around turns and drops Andy has created to stretch Slinky’s coils to the max.

The second attraction, Alien Swirling Saucers, is designed as a toy play set that Andy got from Pizza Planet, inspired by the first “Toy Story” film. Aliens are flying around in their toy flying saucers and trying to capture your rocket toy vehicle using “The Claw.”

Check out the video above for a look at the warm welcome the new ride vehicle received.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/08/first-look-slinky-dog-dash-ride-vehicle-arrives-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

Of course, this doesn't mean that the ride will be opening anytime soon.

It's still not set to open until "summer" 2018.

By the way, Disney has to know that guests use acronyms for the attractions-  you know, HM for Haunted Mansion, BTMRR for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, TT for Test Track, right?

So, who thought it was a good idea to name the new spinner ride the Alien Swirling Saucers?

TCD

On 8/30/2017 at 0:57 PM, Tri-Circle-D said:

So, who thought it was a good idea to name the new spinner ride the Alien Swirling Saucers?

And what would they call the people who have to clean that ride... wipers?