From the Disney Parks Blog...

The Force has awakened at Walt Disney World Resort through runDisney’s newest addition to its portfolio – Star Wars Half Marathon – The Dark Side.

This intergalactic quest through Walt Disney World theme parks blasts off April 14-17, 2016 and channels the Dark Side of the Force. The events will include a 5K, 10K, kids races and half marathon plus a special challenge for completing the 10K and half marathon called the Star Wars Dark Side Challenge!

SWDRH4859682-613x764.jpg

Runners who join the Galactic Empire will enjoy a true Star Wars experience, including Dark side-inspired medals and merchandise throughout the weekend.

After the thrilling inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend at Disneyland Resort this past January, runners and Star Wars fans alike have been vocal about their desire for a similar themed race at Walt Disney World Resort.

SWDRH4859683-613x862.jpg

To differentiate the two races, Disneyland Resort will embrace the Light Side of the Force with a 5K, 10K, kids races and half marathon as well as continuing its Star Wars Rebel Challenge upon completion of the 10K and half marathon.

Whether you are a runDisney veteran or Star Wars enthusiast, these races will be a journey like no other. By participating in both Star Wars Half Marathon events, runners will earn the inaugural Kessel Run Challenge medal, which Star Wars fans know is the ultimate test of skill.

As runDisney broadens its resume, it continues to bring runners uniquely inspired races while promoting a healthy and active lifestyle!

Registration for the East Coast event opens September 22, 2015 at noon ET. May the courses be with you!

Are you excited for this event? Let us know on Twitter using the hashtag #StarWarsHalf!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/08/walt-disney-world-resort-feels-the-dark-side-of-the-force-in-all-new-star-wars-half-marathon-event/

With Easter falling on March 27 in 2016, the middle of April would have been slower than in years with later Easters.  That's exactly why this new race is set for then.  There are no more slow times (except for the first couple weeks of September).

TCD

Labor Day weekend is booked solid.

Now the following week may be slower because all the northern kids are heading back to school.

Labor Day weekend is booked solid.

Now the following week may be slower because all the northern kids are heading back to school.

Yeah, I didn't mean Labor day (and it's later this year).  I meant after Labor Day.

The TCD twins were doing their CP's last year at WDW.  They both said the two weeks after Labor Day were the only slow times for the entire time they were there.

I'm talking before MNSSHP parties.  Before Food and Wine.  That's when it's slow(er).

TCD

Yeah, I didn't mean Labor day (and it's later this year).  I meant after Labor Day.

The TCD twins were doing their CP's last year at WDW.  They both said the two weeks after Labor Day were the only slow times for the entire time they were there.

I'm talking before MNSSHP parties.  Before Food and Wine.  That's when it's slow(er).

TCD

So will the other parks be slower when Food and Wine is going on, or do the crowds just go from park to park?

So will the other parks be slower when Food and Wine is going on, or do the crowds just go from park to park?

Once Food and Wine Festival starts in late September, the other factor in play is all of those MNSSHP's and the early MK closings that come with them.

That shifts everyone into the other parks- where there's not enough to do to begin with, and bye bye low crowds.

It's not as bad as summer or holidays, but it's not slow.

TCD

Registration for the East Coast event opens September 22, 2015 at noon ET

And will be sold out by 12:01!

That may not be far from the truth!

With Easter falling on March 27 in 2016, the middle of April would have been slower than in years with later Easters.  That's exactly why this new race is set for then.

Makes sense.

I'm gonna go with 12:00.25 lol

I honestly think it will be a little longer because the phone system and servers will both probably crash.

I wonder if they are going to be doing any sort of special registrations for previous entrants in other Disney races. Sort of like fan club members get concert tickets ahead of time.

• 4 weeks later...

We had AP & DVC registration this past Tuesday.  I'm in for the Dark Side Challange, kids are in for their races and got hubs signed up for the Half.  The challenge and kids races were gone in a couple minutes the half is still available.  It looks like the hard core fans are going big with the challenge. I'm surprised the half is still available this far after registration, it will we interesting to see what happens Tuesday!

runDisney is currently showing the Dark Side Challenge and 10k as sold out.

Half Marathon = 50%

5k = 70%

Kids = 70%

http://www.rundisney.com/star-wars-wdw-half-marathon/

I'm pretty surprised everything hasn't sold out already too!

Maybe this is one race too many?

These races are expensive.  I know there are fanatics who want to do them all.  But, it sure adds up.

I would have thought this one would be an instant sell out.

TCD

Maybe this is one race too many?

These races are expensive. I know there are fanatics who want to do them all. But, it sure adds up.

I would have thought this one would be an instant sell out.

TCD

This doesn't fall during a Star Wars weekend, does it?

I wonder if the Star Wars fans are either not runners or Saving their vacation time/money for SWW instead of a race?

This doesn't fall during a Star Wars weekend, does it?

I wonder if the Star Wars fans are either not runners or Saving their vacation time/money for SWW instead of a race?

Word on the street is that SWW are ending, but that's still just a rumor and I haven't seen it circulated in a lot of places so... maybe.