• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The article skipped what happens at Fort Wilderness.   We were there for Hurricane Floyd in September, 1999.   It was just before I bought the TCD pop-up.  I actually rented a pop-up camper for this t

Running joke in our house is if we ever see Jim Cantore drive up, we are grabbing our Bail Out Bags an getting out of town as fast as possible.

what he should do is fed-ex me the keys with $100 beer money... Ill put the shutters on and take pics to prove i did the work

Looks like I am gonna get hit... Monday 8 am and I am in the center of the "cone of uncertainty" 

ill be grabbing 5 gallons of gas for the generator( its already full  so that puts me at roughly 24 hours of run time, or 3 days of use as i use it 8 hours a day (11-7)

I already got food earlier in the week so i am good there.

batten down the hatches!   

I live in central IL and have friends who have a house in Cape Coral.  Her hubby is thinking of heading down 1st thing tomorrow morning to hurricane proof their house.  His wife and I think he's totally nuts.  We live through tornadoes and he thinks it won't be any worse than that.  Will he even be able to make is there?

I live in central IL and have friends who have a house in Cape Coral.  Her hubby is thinking of heading down 1st thing tomorrow morning to hurricane proof their house.  His wife and I think he's totally nuts.  We live through tornadoes and he thinks it won't be any worse than that.  Will he even be able to make is there?

It would probably be a wasted effort if he did go, this storm is not going to do much wind damage in that area, if any.  In fact, the National Hurricane Center says it will probably be downgraded to a tropical depression once it leaves Hispaniola and then might strengthen back up to a minimal tropical storm after that.  The latest projection shows it tracking off of the western side of Florida and staying in the open Gulf until making landfall south of Tallahassee.  Of course things can change with these storm in a short time, but right now I don't see it doing a great deal of damage to the west coast of Florida with top winds at 50 mph and below.

It looks like I will have to keep a keen eye on it now, as Panama City Beach is within the cone of possibility for landfall, but unless it begins to strengthen while in the Gulf and becomes a hurricane, I'm not going to fret a lot about it as a tropical storm is not going to affect me that much, especially a minimal one.  The weather people do not expect it to become a hurricane--but we shall see.

To bad the kid and wife is back in school, I would contemplate a run to the fort/wdw for arriving the day after the storm passed.

That's not such a great idea.

Hopefully, this storm will pass and not cause any damage.

But, if it hits land and knocks down trees and blows off roofs, and messes up roads, things could be bad.  I've lived in the aftermath of a hurricane, and it ain't fun when there's no food or ice in the stores, and no gas at the pumps.  And maybe no electricity or running water, and garbage piling up.

Nobody knows what could happen.  The entire state is still in the cone where possible damage could be done.  No one should intentionally travel into a possible hurricane's path.

TCD

This was assuming it would be down graded to post TS or the path was towards the gulf or stays in the Atlantic.

So the storm caused just enough stir to keep people away and not that much damage.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

That's not such a great idea.

Hopefully, this storm will pass and not cause any damage.

But, if it hits land and knocks down trees and blows off roofs, and messes up roads, things could be bad.  I've lived in the aftermath of a hurricane, and it ain't fun when there's no food or ice in the stores, and no gas at the pumps.  And maybe no electricity or running water, and garbage piling up.

Nobody knows what could happen.  The entire state is still in the cone where possible damage could be done.  No one should intentionally travel into a possible hurricane's path.

TCD

The cleanup can take a long time. It was close to 6 months before we had finally cleaned up all of the mess from Fran. In the wooded area out back we still have downed trees from Fran and Floyd. Since they never fully touched the soil they don't decompose very quickly. I have always been lucky with power outages not lasting more than 24-48 hours due to underground utilities but have had neighbors up the street in an older area with above ground electric take weeks as  individual house are last on the list to get up and running. All of us are on wells so even 24 hours is a major inconvenience although I now have additional wiring to run my pump off of my generator.  

If it looks like a hurricane or strong tropical storm is going to hit us I always fill the gasoline cans, LP tanks, get the chain saws ready and move the cars to a friends open lot to avoid damage from falling trees. Even if the winds aren't that strong the amount of rain they can drop makes it very easy for trees to topple from saturated soil.

I've never owned one when a hurricane came through. All of this makes me wonder if I shouldn't get some way to anchor the trailer?  It will be exposed out on flat land with nothing to stop the wind.

We were at the Wilderness Lodge during Jeanne, so I can't speak to what they do with the Fort people, but I am curious now that we only camp.  

Got there a day or two before the eye came through.  My parents went with us and my dad kept saying we should postpone or cancel.  I was like, they just got hit 2 weeks before, what are the odds another one will come to Central FL?  Pretty doggone good, it turned out.  But it was all fine.  Disney made it very clear in plenty of time that everyone would be confined to their rooms for 24 hrs.  We bought some crayons and coloring books for the boys (then 4 & 2) and we had adjoining rooms with my parents, so we had double space to move around in.  We were supposed to keep the curtains closed and stay away from the windows, but of course we couldn't resist a peek every now and then.  As someone who'd never witnessed a hurricane, I was amazed at how it was actually calm in the eye and how the trees blowing changed directions after the eye. 

We heard people out in the hall after it passed, but not before the 24 hours was up.  I think they still had the pajama party thing in the lobby so we took the boys.  The next day the parks opened and it was the emptiest I've ever seen.  Very nice. 

Ended up at urgent care the day after that - one with strep and one with impetigo.  But that's neither here nor there. :-)

Whatever happens with Erika, I'm positive Disney will handle it. They have definitely been through it before.  And what are the odds Erika will come inland? ;-) Ok, never mind.  

Looks like everyone can breath easy.  Hurricane Center advised that the storm broke up over Haiti and will now just produce rain.  The worst that will happen at the fort is they may get some rain to add to the standing water that is already in the full hook up loops.  

Well that's good news!  Although with all the rain lately, y'all might need to break out the rubber rafts in a few loops.

Or... just throw on a poncho and head to the parks, which may be a lot emptier now with all the pre-storm hype!

what he should do is fed-ex me the keys with $100 beer money... Ill put the shutters on and take pics to prove i did the work

"Speaking of idiot weathermen, where's Jim Cantore?"

TCD

If at all possible, he is on a beach or at least near water, where we can see the waves and wind blowing over him  and of course, he is telling us not to go out.

One thing I like to do after a hurricane is go to a beach early in the morning and see what shells and other treasures can be found. Haven't been able to do that many times, but it's still fun for me.

Before retiring, I was a mobile pet groomer.  During one hurricane I was working on a dog in the truck (the owner wanted her dog GROOMED!!) and got to watch the bands of wind and rain pass by.  Was pretty cool to see.  We could see the band of rain coming , then feel it and the wind shaking the truck.  Yeah, I'd be one of the weather people out on the beach.   BTW dog was not pleased.

One thing I like to do after a hurricane is go to a beach early in the morning and see what shells and other treasures can be found. Haven't been able to do that many times, but it's still fun for me.

I've always wanted to be at the beach during a hurricane ... and going out to the beach after it's over would be awesome.

My aunt and uncle used to live at Wrightsville Beach and never evacuated, even when the sound and ocean met and flooded the lower part of their house.

I've always wanted to be at the beach during a hurricane ... and going out to the beach after it's over would be awesome.

My aunt and uncle used to live at Wrightsville Beach and never evacuated, even when the sound and ocean met and flooded the lower part of their house.

I think it was Wrightsville Beach where I found smooth oval rocks.  Or north of there.  Supposedly from the New River, true or not I do not know.  Still very pretty.

I think it was Wrightsville Beach where I found smooth oval rocks.  Or north of there.  Supposedly from the New River, true or not I do not know.  Still very pretty.

Gretchen, I've learned something this afternoon.  Had to do a little geography homework.  Your rocks are probably from the Cape Fear River.  The New River flows northeastward through the NC mountains and joins a river in WV, which eventually flows into the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.  I wouldn't have guessed that.

Gretchen, I've learned something this afternoon.  Had to do a little geography homework.  Your rocks are probably from the Cape Fear River.  The New River flows northeastward through the NC mountains and joins a river in WV, which eventually flows into the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.  I wouldn't have guessed that.

Thanks Gwen, leave it to a fiend to find the truth. ;)

11933380_10207618218562108_6511183098766

:lol:  Hope insurance comes through :lol: