Get Your Own Star Wars Droid

Y'all better start that letter writing campaign to Santa now...

header.jpg

http://www.sphero.com/starwars

Write up from WDWNews Today...

Every kid is going to want this toy this Holiday, so expect this to fly off the shelves when it finally comes out. This miniature version of BB-8 from “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” amazingly duplicates almost everything that the real BB-8 can do in “The Force Awakens”. The retail price upon release will be $150.00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1Y2WfcCb4M

Meet BB-8™ – the app-enabled Droid™ that’s as authentic as it is advanced. BB-8 has something unlike any other robot – an adaptive personality that changes as you play. Based on your interactions, BB-8 will show a range of expressions and even perk up when you give voice commands. Set it to patrol and watch your Droid explore autonomously, make up your own adventure and guide BB-8 yourself, or create and view holographic recordings.

It’s now possible to explore the galaxy with your own trusty Astromech Droid by your side. BB-8 is more than a toy – it’s your companion. Learn more: sphero.com/starwars

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2015/09/video-first-look-at-star-wars-the-force-awakens-bb-8-app-enabled-droid-toy-from-sphero/

Blah.

It's a toy robot.

Big deal.  They had toy robots when I was a kid.

I can't see any of today's kids being interested in something like this for longer than a few minutes.

Plus, there's no way it will work the way it is depicted in the video. 

TCD

I was just thinking the same thing....once it rolls over something sticky, or gets some dirt built up on it, that head will pop right off.  Hope it's just decorative.

And is there a camera on it so you can see to steer, or is it line of sight?

This was the robot we had when I was a kid...

Mr. Machine is a once popular children's mechanical toy originally manufactured by the Ideal Toy Company in 1960. Mr. Machine was a robot-like mechanical man wearing a top hat. The body had a giant windup key at the back. When the toy was wound up it would "walk", swinging its arms and repeatedly ringing a bell mounted on its front; and after every few steps emit a mechanical "Ah!", as if it were speaking. The toy stood about 18 inches tall (roughly 46 cm).

The gimmick of Mr. Machine was that one could not only see all of his mechanical "innards" through his clear plastic body, but one could also take the toy apart and put it back together, over and over, like a Lego toy or a jigsaw puzzle.

Mr. Machine was one of Ideal's most popular toys. The company reissued it in 1978, but with some alterations: it could no longer be taken apart (owing to the tendency of very young children to put small pieces in their mouths which could be accidentally swallowed or present a choking hazard), and instead of ringing a bell and making the "Ah" sound, it now whistled "This Old Man". This later version of Mr. Machine was brought back once more in the 1980s. In 2004, the Poof-Slinky Company remanufactured the original 1960 version (using the actual Ideal molds whenever possible), which made the original sounds and could be disassembled, and with the intention of being marketed to nostalgic adults as a collectible.

2857.jpg

Puppies Test The New Star Wars BB-8 Droid Toy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQIeBPjEiys

That video is adorable.

But, I want to see what happens if one of the puppies bites BB8's head.

I don't think that would end very well.

Also, I saw a funny comment about BB8- it went along the lines of - Remember how we were all excited about Jar Jar?

TCD

I was just thinking the same thing....once it rolls over something sticky, or gets some dirt built up on it, that head will pop right off.  Hope it's just decorative.

And is there a camera on it so you can see to steer, or is it line of sight?

This was the robot we had when I was a kid...

Mr. Machine is a once popular children's mechanical toy originally manufactured by the Ideal Toy Company in 1960. Mr. Machine was a robot-like mechanical man wearing a top hat. The body had a giant windup key at the back. When the toy was wound up it would "walk", swinging its arms and repeatedly ringing a bell mounted on its front; and after every few steps emit a mechanical "Ah!", as if it were speaking. The toy stood about 18 inches tall (roughly 46 cm).

The gimmick of Mr. Machine was that one could not only see all of his mechanical "innards" through his clear plastic body, but one could also take the toy apart and put it back together, over and over, like a Lego toy or a jigsaw puzzle.

Mr. Machine was one of Ideal's most popular toys. The company reissued it in 1978, but with some alterations: it could no longer be taken apart (owing to the tendency of very young children to put small pieces in their mouths which could be accidentally swallowed or present a choking hazard), and instead of ringing a bell and making the "Ah" sound, it now whistled "This Old Man". This later version of Mr. Machine was brought back once more in the 1980s. In 2004, the Poof-Slinky Company remanufactured the original 1960 version (using the actual Ideal molds whenever possible), which made the original sounds and could be disassembled, and with the intention of being marketed to nostalgic adults as a collectible.

2857.jpg

Oh - thank you I had forgotten this toy - my younger sister had one - but I loved it!