Shaded site recommendation for Loop 900 or 1000

Hi!

We will be visiting first weekend in October and my husband is very sensitive to heat.  I know all sites are pretty awesome but does anybody have a recommendation of a site they like in loop 900 or 1000.

We want it to be as shaded as possible, quiet with privacy.  I had to convince my husband to go because he only likes to camp when its cold!

Thanks!!

Getting a site with nice shade is a tricky issue.  The sun moves around depending on the time of year, and since cypress trees are deciduous, there are times when they are bare.

In general, you want a site that is oriented more along north/south than east/west.  In the 900 loop, that would mean you're looking for sites in the range of 905-915 and 920-931, and in the 1000 loop 1001-1006 and 1013-1023.  But, even then, you will get some direct sun during the hottest parts of the day.

For what it's worth, the top secret notebook maintained by the Fort staff lists 919, 926 and 930 as the sites with the most shade on the 900 loop, and sites 1001, 1013, and 1015 as the sites with the most shade on the 1000 loop.

Good luck!

TCD

Thanks so much!  Is there a way to know if a particular site number is on the outer loop in those two loops? I have seen a map of the Fort that lists the loops but not where the sites are

The outer sites in that range are 905, 907, 909, 911, 912, 914, 921, 922, 924, 925, 927, 928, 930 and 932.   And then 1001, 1003, 1004, 1005, 1007, 1013, 1015, 1017, 1018, 1020, 1021 and 1023.

Why do you feel that you need to be on the outer side?  The interior sites on these loops are fine.  In fact, you would have more peace and quiet on some of theme than you would on the outers.  Sites 1003 and 1004 back up to the comfort station, for example.

TCD

Getting a site with nice shade is a tricky issue.  The sun moves around depending on the time of year, and since cypress trees are deciduous, there are times when they are bare.

In general, you want a site that is oriented more along north/south than east/west.  In the 900 loop, that would mean you're looking for sites in the range of 905-915 and 920-931, and in the 1000 loop 1001-1006 and 1013-1023.  But, even then, you will get some direct sun during the hottest parts of the day.

For what it's worth, the top secret notebook maintained by the Fort staff lists 919, 926 and 930 as the sites with the most shade on the 900 loop, and sites 1001, 1013, and 1015 as the sites with the most shade on the 1000 loop.

Good luck!

TCD

I can vouch for this!!   We were in site 930 this past Aug and the shade was wonderful.  Also, even though it was two sites from the comfort station we enjoyed 7 very quiet mornings enjoying our coffee (9am or so) and being visited by a resident armadillo. We requested being close to the comfort station and site 900 when we did online check in.  Also, the Fort Fiends app has pics of each site, HIGHLY recommend! :)

I can vouch for this!!   We were in site 930 this past Aug and the shade was wonderful.  Also, even though it was two sites from the comfort station we enjoyed 7 very quiet mornings enjoying our coffee (9am or so) and being visited by a resident armadillo. We requested being close to the comfort station and site 900 when we did online check in.  Also, the Fort Fiends app has pics of each site, HIGHLY recommend! :)

Great job!

That's what makes this site so awesome. There's no place else where someone can come and get fast, friendly and accurate information about Fort Wilderness.

OP- I should have mentioned that I was on 914 this past 4th of July.  It had great shade in the morning and in the afternoon, but for a few hours each day when the sun was high in the sky, it was brutal.  Part of that was on me, though.  My trailer would have been more shaded had I parked further back on the site.  But, I like to have my picnic table and kitchen set-up behind the trailer.

TCD

That's what makes this site so awesome. There's no place else where someone can come and get fast, friendly and accurate information about Fort Wilderness.

Agreed!!  As a forum, we're only as good as all the people that contribute -- and I think that makes us pretty darned terrific!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

One, you can click on the View New Content, and that will show you posts that have new comments since you last read, or new posts since you last read.

There is also a way to get emails when posts you have posted to get replys.

There is a down arrow next to your member name. Click on that and your profile screen comes up. Then click on Notificaition Options on the left and there are all sorts of click boxes for notificaitons.

12046643_10205025384537536_7303882423710

• 4 years later...