Last season for the Osbourne Lights

IMG_2937_zpshdjapdgp.jpg

Took this Sunday night.  Not sure exactly the location, but while standing in the same spot I turned left a little and took this of my guys.

IMG_2936_zpsso9jgrj0.jpg

So, unless there are two cats, they are moving it around.  I was having trouble finding it.  Thrill found it for us.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Video posted online by Orlando Attractions Magazine of the final song and goodbye...   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDeJ4d0E6S8&feature=youtu.be

Thanks. I didn't realize that the Streets of America are that long. So give me the entire area from Mouse gear to Canada to Mexico. I'll turn it into the biggest light show WDW has ever seen. Lol.

Ok, this is really late, and I apologize, but we found the cat up above the purple canopy that you can walk through on December 12:  

We were told that they would be moving the cat every week and that it would be harder to find each time.  

Fun!

IMG_2937_zpshdjapdgp.jpg

Took this Sunday night.  Not sure exactly the location, but while standing in the same spot I turned left a little and took this of my guys.

IMG_2936_zpsso9jgrj0.jpg

So, unless there are two cats, they are moving it around.  I was having trouble finding it.  Thrill found it for us.

Great pics!!

Saw the lights last night.  With it Sunday, we figured the crowds would be lower and headed over.  Studios was crowded, but the people walking through the lights moved fairly well and it was not too bad.  The lights looked good, but I mentioned to my wife I don't think I'll miss seeing them next year.  I also wondered what that area will look like next year at this time. :)

Saw the lights last night.  With it Sunday, we figured the crowds would be lower and headed over.  Studios was crowded, but the people walking through the lights moved fairly well and it was not too bad.  The lights looked good, but I mentioned to my wife I don't think I'll miss seeing them next year.  I also wondered what that area will look like next year at this time. :)

Plywood walls, cranes, and construction debris!

IMG_2937_zpshdjapdgp.jpg

IMG_2936_zpsso9jgrj0.jpg

Excellent job!  Based on the photo of your boys, and your comment that you took that shot immediately after you turned from taking the photo of the cat, the cat must have been above one of the doorways on the main New York Street, right in the middle of everything. 

So, that's where I looked for the cat this past Friday night, November 27.  But it wasn't there anymore.

I found it down a side alley on the side street (the one with the canopy):

11%2027%2015%20088_zpsgny59rsg.jpg

That cat is definitely being moved!

TCD

So this is the last year for the lights, supposedly they are expecting record crowds, but weeknights the park is closing at 8, and then weekends only until 8:30 or 9:30.  One night I say extra magic until 10:30, and another day the extra magic was before opening.

You would think they would be keeping the park open later to try to alleviate overcrowding on the weekends.

Excellent job!  Based on the photo of your boys, and your comment that you took that shot immediately after you turned from taking the photo of the cat, the cat must have been above one of the doorways on the main New York Street, right in the middle of everything. 

So, that's where I looked for the cat this past Friday night, November 27.  But it wasn't there anymore.

I found it down a side alley on the side street (the one with the canopy):

11%2027%2015%20088_zpsgny59rsg.jpg

That cat is definitely being moved!

TCD

Yep.  If the cat had been in this spot when we were there I would have had an easier time finding it!  We stood near this spot for a good while watching a family trying to get the perfect picture of their teen son "shooting a basket".  

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw some not-so-good news.

Even on crowded days, it was still possible to enjoy some room in the Osborne Lights display by showing up at or near closing time.  They generally would keep the lights on for about an hour after the official park close time, and let guests leave on their own.

But, now they're going to have Star Wars fireworks every night at 11 pm starting December 18, and will be closing the lights at 10pm.  The lights will still be crowded at 10 pm, and it's unlikely that they'll be re-opened after the fireworks.

This is really not good: https://twitter.com/easywdw/status/675863647663595520

CWEmZ-xWsAAOxHD.jpg

TCD

If your going to go to the lights .! get there early parking lot closed at 3 pm maxed out use disney transpo and that no help either .Was there 12/12 15 and left campgrounds at 630 pm on bus got there at 730 big traffic tie up and lots of people crawling along watching lights If anything park epcot and walk to studio if you know how to go there

If your going to go to the lights .! get there early parking lot closed at 3 pm maxed out use disney transpo and that no help either .Was there 12/12 15 and left campgrounds at 630 pm on bus got there at 730 big traffic tie up and lots of people crawling along watching lights If anything park epcot and walk to studio if you know how to go there

Hey, that's your first post.  Welcome!

An hour on the bus at 6:30 pm sounds very bad.  The thing is that the parking lot is not maxed out.  There are photos all over the internet showing that there were lots of open spaces.  Disney is just jerking their guests around in a very unprofessional and crude attempt at crowd control.

Like I said earlier, it's going to be an absolute disaster when they add the Star Wars fireworks to the mix this weekend.  Very, very dumb on their part.

TCD

Hey, that's your first post.  Welcome!

An hour on the bus at 6:30 pm sounds very bad.  The thing is that the parking lot is not maxed out.  There are photos all over the internet showing that there were lots of open spaces.  Disney is just jerking their guests around in a very unprofessional and crude attempt at crowd control.

Like I said earlier, it's going to be an absolute disaster when they add the Star Wars fireworks to the mix this weekend.  Very, very dumb on their part.

TCD

But it's going to be the year of the Star Wars.

If you thought the Star Wars franchise was big in the past before Disney sucked them in, you aint seen nothing.

This merchandise push will make Frozen look like a speedbump.

But it's going to be the year of the Star Wars.

If you thought the Star Wars franchise was big in the past before Disney sucked them in, you aint seen nothing.

This merchandise push will make Frozen look like a speedbump.

Right, and the greedy bastards (excuse my French) couldn't wait for the two weeks originally planned to start the fireworks so that guests could get a chance to pay their final respects to the Osborne lights (which, ironically, are being dumped so that area of the park can be incorporated into Star Wars Land).

All I can say is good luck.  The park is already overburdened by this being the final year for the Osborne Lights.  And the holiday break crowds haven't even arrived yet.  Now, they're going to pack all the Star Wars geeks freaks fans into the park for their fireworks?  Oy vey, it's going to be bad.  Very bad.  Just you wait.

TCD

Thanks for sharing your experience!

And WELCOME :wave1:

hummmmmm, why not have the fireworks over at EPCOT and show the starwars in the Capt Eo theater? It could even be a specal ticket even for the theater. And it wold bring crowds over to a park they would not likely go to. And each of the countries could have a special Starwars theamed drink. Mission: Space could get a cheap overlay to help get people in to the ride.....Spaceship Earth could get the super lazer/planet destroyer wepon added on the the side for cheap.

Then the Starwars geeks would be going to both EPCOT and HS. so eather get a pass with an extra day or the park hopper add on.

Wow, someone didn't think this thru.

humm, the Friendship boats could be made to look like the Khetanna (sand ship from Jaba the hut).

hummmmmm, why not have the fireworks over at EPCOT and show the starwars in the Capt Eo theater?

Not a bad idea, but they just announced something new is going there...

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/16785-%E2%80%9Cdisney-pixar-short-film-festival%E2%80%9D-replaces-captain-eo/

hummmmmm, why not have the fireworks over at EPCOT and show the starwars in the Capt Eo theater? It could even be a specal ticket even for the theater. And it wold bring crowds over to a park they would not likely go to. And each of the countries could have a special Starwars theamed drink. Mission: Space could get a cheap overlay to help get people in to the ride.....Spaceship Earth could get the super lazer/planet destroyer wepon added on the the side for cheap.

Then the Starwars geeks would be going to both EPCOT and HS. so eather get a pass with an extra day or the park hopper add on.

Wow, someone didn't think this thru.

humm, the Friendship boats could be made to look like the Khetanna (sand ship from Jaba the hut).

Those are great ideas.  But, Disney management no longer makes decisions about what is best for guests.  It's all about the bottom line.

Currently, Hollywood Studios is the park that needs the most help attracting guests.  So, between the Osborne Lights, the new Star Wars stuff,  and the holiday comedy show, they'll pack the guests in there through the end of the current holiday season.  No problem.

Going in to the new year, the new Star Wars Season of the Force stuff, including the fireworks, should be enough to keep guests coming through the turnstiles at DHS.  Then, come spring, Epcot will open the new Frozen ride and meet and greet, and Animal Kingdom will have the new nighttime show.  Crowds will head to those parks, and then they can get to work on Star Wars and Toy Story land.  They'll need to come up with some temporary shows and such at DHS, but my guess is they are going to lay off on that a bit, because the crowds will be at the new stuff at Epcot and Animal Kingdom.

I'm sure they will cook up some new holiday lights display for DHS for next year.  They'll need it.

TCD

Ecpot has sooo much more crowd capasity and for Christmas/New years it is where WDW tries to send guests to reduce MK from reaching max capasity.

DHS will have one of it's best quarters anyways and could reach capasity due to the Osborn lights alone. Heck during Christmas/New Years week, the park could wait and open at Noon and stay open until midnight or 2am. People would start at MK or AK and then park hop over to DHS and WDW sells more park hoppers. Or sleep in and get brunch at what ever Pleasure Island is being called now.

To me, it comes down to how to best manage the crowds and to not have to shut down the turnstils at any park. AKA keep the money coming in the door.

OOOOO, special starwars meet and greats could happen in the Wonders of Life pavilian.

Plus, adults drink more a Epcot andafter a few drinks you loose the ability to refrain from purchasing awsome Starwars stuff. Espicaly if the the magic band reader does a cool lightsaber sound at the cash register. (insert lightsaber smiley)

I just saw some not-so-good news.

Even on crowded days, it was still possible to enjoy some room in the Osborne Lights display by showing up at or near closing time.  They generally would keep the lights on for about an hour after the official park close time, and let guests leave on their own.

But, now they're going to have Star Wars fireworks every night at 11 pm starting December 18, and will be closing the lights at 10pm.  The lights will still be crowded at 10 pm, and it's unlikely that they'll be re-opened after the fireworks.

This is really not good: https://twitter.com/easywdw/status/675863647663595520

CWEmZ-xWsAAOxHD.jpg

TCD

With all the hype out there about this being the last year for the lights, the parking lot closures, and people commenting on the crushing crowds at the lights, why on Earth are the closing the park so early on weeknights?

You would think they would have it open every night from now until New Years at least until 11 or 12.

With all the hype out there about this being the last year for the lights, the parking lot closures, and people commenting on the crushing crowds at the lights, why on Earth are the closing the park so early on weeknights?

You would think they would have it open every night from now until New Years at least until 11 or 12.

Good point, but I believe that they have revised the schedule because of the fireworks, and DHS will be open until at least 11 pm from now through the end of the year.

But, they're still going to close the Osborne Lights at 10, which is not cool.

TCD

We got to pay another visit to the Osborne Lights on Saturday night.  We could not find that darn cat.

I finally had to cheat and ask a Castmember.  She told us it was down the alley where they had the Lady and the Tramp tribute.  We had already looked in that alley, but she asked if we had looked up.  I thought we had, but apparently we didn't look up enough.

We went back, and there it is:

12%2019%2015%20175_zpsudvfkrmt.jpg

I am sad thinking that there are only thirteen more nights that anyone will get to see the lights.

TCD