Last season for the Osbourne Lights

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Video posted online by Orlando Attractions Magazine of the final song and goodbye...   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDeJ4d0E6S8&feature=youtu.be

Thanks. I didn't realize that the Streets of America are that long. So give me the entire area from Mouse gear to Canada to Mexico. I'll turn it into the biggest light show WDW has ever seen. Lol.

Ok, this is really late, and I apologize, but we found the cat up above the purple canopy that you can walk through on December 12:  

Here's a doozy of a rumor!  I haven't seen it anywhere else yet, although I'm sure it will make the rounds, as these things usually do. It would be nice if it ends up being true.

http://www.chipandco.com/osborne-family-spectacle-dancing-lights-moving-epcot-219573/

Based on the past track record of that particular blogger, I would put the chances of this rumor being true between slim and none.

The rumor is pretty dumb.

There are no structures to put the lights on in that area. Sure, Disney could build some.  But I highly doubt they would.

TCD

Based on the past track record of that particular blogger, I would put the chances of this rumor being true between slim and none.

The rumor is pretty dumb.

There are no structures to put the lights on in that area. Sure, Disney could build some. But I highly doubt they would.

TCD

Actually it would be easy to move the lights to Epcot. As some of you know I have a pretty big Christmas display and since our house sits so far off of the road most of my almost 50,000 lights are on trees and things I've either bought or made myself.

If I were in charge of the OFSL I would create a giant arch in the walkway between future world and the WS. An arch would be inexpensive and quick to install. You would be able to view the light show from under he arch or from outside the arch.

If you've ever been to Fremont street in Las Vegas you know what I'm talking about. But unlike Fremont street I would make it only with the led lights.

Someone posted about an arch but that it would virtually stop traffic if they put it in the walkway between future world and world showcase. They were saying there isn't an ideal place in EPCOT to build something that could handle people stopping and staring.

I say gut Imagination and captain eo and put it in there

Actually it would be easy to move the lights to Epcot. As some of you know I have a pretty big Christmas display and since our house sits so far off of the road most of my almost 50,000 lights are on trees and things I've either bought or made myself.

If I were in charge of the OFSL I would create a giant arch in the walkway between future world and the WS. An arch would be inexpensive and quick to install. You would be able to view the light show from under he arch or from outside the arch.

If you've ever been to Fremont street in Las Vegas you know what I'm talking about. But unlike Fremont street I would make it only with the led lights.

I'm not sure when you first began to visit WDW, but they used to have a very big archway of lights on the main path between Future World and the World Showcase.  It was called the Lights of Winter.  The blogger mentions it in the article Mo quoted.  I found a video on YouTube that shows the Lights of Winter in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9BOZ3VIfao

There's a good article and some photos posted here:  http://www.disneytouristblog.com/lights-winter-tribute/

DSC_2124-M.jpg

I loved this display.  It was a TCD family tradition to arrive at Epcot via Monorail as often as possible during the winter season so we could see the lights from the monorail.  But, that's about as large a display as can fit in that spot, and it caused a lot of congestion.

It's miniscule compared to the size of the Osborne Lights display.

Someone posted about an arch but that it would virtually stop traffic if they put it in the walkway between future world and world showcase. They were saying there isn't an ideal place in EPCOT to build something that could handle people stopping and staring.

Yup.  I can't see how something on the scale of the Osborne Lights would fit along that walkway.

TCD

Yes it would stop traffic if you blocked the whole walkway. I would also have the lights blinking all the time. That way peoe would not be standing around waiting for the show to start. Which I think would help with the flow of people.

If I had TCD's purple crayon I could show you what I had in mind.

TCD. Break out your purple crayon and ruler and show me how long and wide both areas are please.

Here you go-

The walkway is 300' long, by 50' wide:

epcot%20lights_zpsqbl39zvy.jpg

In contrast, the Main street in Streets of America is 525 ft. long, and San Francisco side street is 317 feet long.  Both are about 50 ft. wide.  And then the lights extend out into the area around the Lights, Motor Action entrance.  That's nearly triple the space of that Epcot walkway.

TCD

Yeah, I know.  It's mostly just wishful thinking on my part. 

:bellringer:

Yes it would stop traffic if you blocked the whole walkway. I would also have the lights blinking all the time. That way peoe would not be standing around waiting for the show to start. Which I think would help with the flow of people.

If I had TCD's purple crayon I could show you what I had in mind.

I say they should hire Ray for this project and get it done!

I wonder if there is a claus in their contract with OSborne that they can't have something similar for X amount of years? Like Disney can't get rid of them and then have Mickey's Magical lights instead?

Maybe.  I know when Jennings Osborne died a few years back there was speculation that the partnership would come to an end, but I don't recall seeing any details about the deal.

Wasn't the original Osborne display at HS down the road that took you past the shell houses of the different TV shows?

Yes.  Before the stunt show - that's where the Golden Girls house facade was.  We saw the lights there before they moved it to the Streets of America.  The display was a good bit smaller when it was back there.

I like the idea of putting them on world showcase, but I'm guessing at the very least they'd end up having to skip Morocco for the same reason it's not lit during Illuminations.

Plus it would seem to be a bigger project than lighting the relatively flat facades they're on now.

Heck I'd be happy if they just did something nice with the lighting of the trees around World Showcase.  There's not a whole lot of holiday decor there these days.

Now if they bring back the Lights of Winter...

:stars-shower-smiley:

Sadly, there have been many reports that those are just rusting on a pile somewhere.

Here you go-

The walkway is 300' long, by 50' wide:

epcot%20lights_zpsqbl39zvy.jpg

In contrast, the Main street in Streets of America is 525 ft. long, and San Francisco side street is 317 feet long. Both are about 50 ft. wide. And then the lights extend out into the area around the Lights, Motor Action entrance. That's nearly triple the space of that Epcot walkway.

TCD

Thanks. I didn't realize that the Streets of America are that long.

So give me the entire area from Mouse gear to Canada to Mexico. I'll turn it into the biggest light show WDW has ever seen. Lol.

So give me the entire area from Mouse gear to Canada to Mexico. I'll turn it into the biggest light show WDW has ever seen. Lol.

I say we start a petition.

Or a protest.

Whatever makes this happen.

angry-mob-143.gif

Now if they bring back the Lights of Winter...

:stars-shower-smiley:

Sadly, there have been many reports that those are just rusting on a pile somewhere.

One of those many reports can be found in an old TCD TR:

The beginning of the race was through a far corner of the Epcot parking lot. Then they directed us onto one of the backstage roads. There was all kinds of stuff to see along the way.

Like these discarded cars from the DHS Backstage Tour:

RoyalFamily5K2013106_zps996c669a.jpg

Then we ran past an old Jungle Cruise boat:

RoyalFamily5K2013107_zpscd385348.jpg

I think these blurry photos are of the old Lights of Winter arches that used to be on display in Epcot at Christmas time:

RoyalFamily5K2013108_zpse1acd50e.jpg

RoyalFamily5K2013109_zpsc389d652.jpg

Usually, when guests are let into an area like this, there are armies of CM's yelling not to take photos. Not here.

TCD

Hey at least they were covered then... maybe they really CAN bring them back!

good-luck-smiley-emoticon.gif

Yeah, maybe.

But, here's the thing.  . .

They're gone.

Look- you can see them there in this 2013 aerial shot:

low%202013_zpszvevbzux.jpg

The Jungle Cruise boat is even there.

In 2014, the boat is gone, and I'm not sure what we are looking at lying there on the ground- but those covered arches aren't where they were:

low%202014_zpsosdw0p0s.jpg

In 2015, it's all gone:

low%202015_zpsudajq3xl.jpg

Maybe they have that stuff in a warehouse somewhere getting fixed up.

But, I don't think so.

TCD

phooey

Wait!!  Maybe they moved them to a new location to prepare them for reinstallation?!?!

(hey a girl can dream)

Yeah, maybe.

One of the reasons I recall hearing when they didn't come back was that the lights were not LED lights. Somewhere along the line, they swapped out all of the Osborn Lights for LED lights. That couldn't have been cheap.

They probably didn't want to mess with that for the Lights of Winter.

It would be cool if they brought them back, though.  Truthfully, I'd rather see those than the Osborne Lights.

TCD

I'm sure you could do it.  LOL.

The problem is space.  Streets of America works because it is a large area that doesn't need to be used by guests traveling through the park.  It's easy to control the foot traffic in and out.  That is not the case for the walkway in Epcot.  It's the major path of travel in Epcot.  And that pathway between Canada and Mexico is the only pathway to get around the World Showcase.  It would be a mess.

TCD

I like that idea... except for the huge premium thing ;)

If they just wanted people to enjoy them and not make $ because they are in a park, they could decorate Disney Springs, or even the Sports Complex.

Now if they wanted to make $$, they should clean up Discovery Island, set them up there, charge a huge premium, and leave them going year round.

If they just wanted people to enjoy them and not make $ because they are in a park, they could decorate Disney Springs, or even the Sports Complex.

Now if they wanted to make $$, they should clean up Discovery Island, set them up there, charge a huge premium, and leave them going year round.

I would love a year around Christmas theme park.