I might be crazy, but I could swear I read a thread about a place that will storage RVs for a month somewhere near Disney. We are going to the Fort at Thanksgiving and again at Christmas and would prefer not to haul the 5er from Texas and back. Anybody know of such a storage place? Or if this is just some pipe dream I had?!?!?

We did this 2 years ago.  Stored it at a place off of 27 called 1st security.  Though, we left ours there from Thanksgiving until Christmas, then for the winter.  We got the name from Curtis here on FF who owns Fort Camper Rental…not sure if he still does, but he used to store his pop ups there when not in use.

The rent was pretty reasonable, around 65 or so per month, and it was secure.  Not far at all from the Fort.

This may be unique to me, but I did store my camper in FL a few years ago for a short time in between a Halloween trip, and early December trip, then did it again when I came back for New Years. It was a TOTAL pain in the arse.

My problem, is there is certain stuff that rides in the camper, and certain stuff that rides in the truck.

Storing the camper meant totally rearranging the way we packed up to go home. We had to pull a bunch of stuff that lived in the camper at the end of the trip to take it home, and all the stuff that normally rode in the truck, we had to wait until time to pull out to load it in the camper to store.

In my OCD obsessed brain, I spent an inordinate amount of time obsessing over that process in my head over the course of the vacation.

It extended breakdown time because, instead of just putting the "outside" stuff in the truck, had to empty some of the "inside stuff" into the truck, and then put the outside stuff in the camper.

The whole process was reversed when we came back down. Had to empty the camper of the "outside stuff", put the new "inside stuff" we brought back down in the truck back into the camper.

Packing for the 2nd and 3rd trip down was more difficult as it had to go into bags/bins in the truck, then moved to their appropriate spots in the camper when we arrived.

In addition had to empty and dry out the fridge each time as no power with storage. Normally doesn't get done until we get home. Also winterized "just in case".

Me personally, I won't do it again.

• 3 weeks later...

We've never stored our mh near Disney but have been storing in Florida over the winter for about 8 years (first near Orlando Intl Airport, then near Sanford Airport and now near Tampa Airport) and we've never had a hard time finding a place.  We've paid $35-$65 / month.  For us, proximity to the airport was more important than proximity to the destination.

We drive the RV down to Florida in the Fall and spend a few weeks before flying back home, then fly back and use for a few weeks at XMas time and finally come back to get it around Spring Break or Easter and drive it back North.

DO NOT store your RV anywhere on Oak Ridge Rd or near John Young Pkwy. Super high crime area. Lots of section 8 housing units and people wandering around all times of night and day. We used Park Bark and Fly just north of MCO on Semoran Blvd when we had our RV. They watch the lots like hawks. They follow cars in when parking in their minibuses so they know who is going to storage area and they will wait to see you open the RV door before leaving. They are open 24 hours and charge by length of RV. They have minibus service to MCO so if you need to fly out they take you right to the airport departure area. Never had any problems and we stored for 5 years there.

This idea has so much potential for us next year between fall break and Christmas. The only problem is space for stuff since we haul the golf cart in the back of the truck...wheels are still turning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubbermaid tubs strapped to the golf cart. Just an idea

Good idea...but I'm afraid this would be us. 954473a5b3fdc658b666535a7d8a3919.jpg

We overpack like crazy.

This idea has so much potential for us next year between fall break and Christmas. The only problem is space for stuff since we haul the golf cart in the back of the truck...wheels are still turning.

Rubbermaid tubs strapped to the golf cart. Just an idea

Good idea...but I'm afraid this would be us.

We overpack like crazy.

That's how I feel we look sometimes even with the trailer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This idea has so much potential for us next year between fall break and Christmas. The only problem is space for stuff since we haul the golf cart in the back of the truck...wheels are still turning. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fortunately for us, MOST of what we take lives in the trailer full time...will have to cart our clothing and dog carrier...something I had not considered, but I THINK we'll have room in the bed of the truck even with the 5th wheel hooked up.  I am going to call a couple places to see where we might store.

BigTom made us a very sweet offer of storage between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I think we have decided to leave it there until at least March, since we'll be back at Spring Break.

• 7 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 4:27 PM, cindymac11 said:

Fortunately for us, MOST of what we take lives in the trailer full time...will have to cart our clothing and dog carrier...something I had not considered, but I THINK we'll have room in the bed of the truck even with the 5th wheel hooked up.  I am going to call a couple places to see where we might store.

BigTom made us a very sweet offer of storage between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I think we have decided to leave it there until at least March, since we'll be back at Spring Break.

How did all this work out for you?  I am currently trying to figure out our best option.

We are going down early October and again during Christmas.

Maybe even spring break 2017. 

It's a sickness, I know...

How did all this work out for you?  I am currently trying to figure out our best option.

I'm going in late September, Christmas, and maybe Spring Break 2017.... What's the problem?

57 minutes ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

I'm going in late September, Christmas, and maybe Spring Break 2017.... What's the problem?

I see you also share the sickness...they say the absence of denial is the first step.

Will you be there Oct 1st?  Big game that weekend I hear.

On 5/27/2016 at 11:36 AM, GradyBunch said:

Suffering from the same illness...we were there in November, December, March, and head out in two weeks for a June Adventure. Can't. Stop. Myself.

As for storage, we ended up using Top Notch RV Storage (http://www.topnotchrvstorage.com/) in Clermont.

It was quasi on the way from us (coming from Texas).  They were very accommodating to a month-to-month. We paid $85 for the month, and a prorated amount for the rest of November - I think maybe $120 total.  The only down side is there there was no place to plug it in like at our normal storage place, so the fridge was not cooled off, etc.  All in All it was worth it, though I doubt in the end we saved very much money.  Perhaps saved a headache or two along the way. We had originally planned on leaving it again between Christmas and Spring Break, but opted to bring it home and not give up our local space.  Our next thought is that we will find a place to leave in in Alabama and pick it up along the way, meaning we can sleep in it on night one and avoid a hotel.  Since camping at the Fort, we find all other campgrounds in the world completely unacceptable and haven't camped any where else since we contracted "the sickness."

On 5/27/2016 at 3:06 PM, GradyBunch said:

I see you also share the sickness...they say the absence of denial is the first step.

Will you be there Oct 1st?  Big game that weekend I hear.

I will be in Athens, GA on October 1st for that very reason. :)

On 5/29/2016 at 5:46 PM, cindymac11 said:

Suffering from the same illness...we were there in November, December, March, and head out in two weeks for a June Adventure. Can't. Stop. Myself.

As for storage, we ended up using Top Notch RV Storage (http://www.topnotchrvstorage.com/) in Clermont.

It was quasi on the way from us (coming from Texas).  They were very accommodating to a month-to-month. We paid $85 for the month, and a prorated amount for the rest of November - I think maybe $120 total.  The only down side is there there was no place to plug it in like at our normal storage place, so the fridge was not cooled off, etc.  All in All it was worth it, though I doubt in the end we saved very much money.  Perhaps saved a headache or two along the way. We had originally planned on leaving it again between Christmas and Spring Break, but opted to bring it home and not give up our local space.  Our next thought is that we will find a place to leave in in Alabama and pick it up along the way, meaning we can sleep in it on night one and avoid a hotel.  Since camping at the Fort, we find all other campgrounds in the world completely unacceptable and haven't camped any where else since we contracted "the sickness."

The Fort really does ruin most other campgrounds.  We have been doing mutiple trips a year for awhile now. One week in the summer only water parks, 1 and a half to 2 weeks in the winter, and then spring break. Although this year we couldn't get a reservation for spring break, so we went to Camp Gulf and really liked it.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 6:46 PM, cindymac11 said:

The Fort really does spoil it for regular campgrounds.  We even live less than 30 miles from the mountains and Dollywood, and still haven't ventured out since our spring break fort trip.  To be fair it's not all the Fort's fault...travel softball consumes one's life.

I noticed Top Notch had covered storage as well, I'm assuming the $85 per month was uncovered?

We normally camp on the way down just past Valdosta so we would have to work the logistics out on that as well.  Typically we can't leave early on Friday due to our schedules, so it would be a late night arrival if we tried to push it and make it all the way down to Orlando.  We would probably push the departure time to the middle of the night, putting us at the storage place around 8-9 in the morning.  Lot's of logistics to work out.

13 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

The Fort really does ruin most other campgrounds.  We have been doing mutiple trips a year for awhile now. One week in the summer only water parks, 1 and a half to 2 weeks in the winter, and then spring break. Although this year we couldn't get a reservation for spring break, so we went to Camp Gulf and really liked it.

Camp gulf is typically our other spot as well.  We've been a few times over fall break and the wife really enjoys it. Very relaxing...until you get home...and have to "de-sand" the

camper.

14 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

I will be in Athens, GA on October 1st for that very reason. :)

We typically have to listen to this game, as it normally falls on a weekend that we are either traveling to or from a Fall Break trip. 

This year it is on day 1 of the trip...and will probably be a 3:30 game, and we have 4:45 ressies at Raglan.  Planning fail on my part.