While we were out looking this past weekend at pop ups we looked at several of the A frame type campers and they have peaked our interest. They seem to fit our length and height requirements for storage in our garage. Love the simplicity, the set up looks pretty easy.  We don't need or really want a bathroom, so this also fits.  Need to sleep 3 comfortably and 4 on occasion.  The Coleman and Rockwoods had more sleeping space and room overall but some of the A-liners are doable.   Hoping someone here owns one or knows someone who does.  Looking for pros/cons etc...on these. Thanks in advance.  

PS not opposed to buying pre-owned.   Would like to pay 8K or less cash early next year. 

Well, when I retired I traded in my Fleetwood Niagara Pop Up for a 35' travel trailer.  Over teh past 18 months we discovered the big trailer just did not fit "most" of our camping sites.  We like going into primitive campgrounds or even dispersed camping out in the National Forrest.

Well, last month we found an Aliner Expedition that we loved.  Set up is a breeze, much easier than any previous pop ups.  The biggest con was at the ends where the "A" meets the box.  You have to be careful not to hit your head all the time.  Now, the one we settled on was a model that had "dormers".  I'm not sure if any of the manufacturers other than Aliner have dormers.  These pop up at both ends (they are an option and you can get one or both) from the roof and allow you to stand up all the way to the end.

Space is at a premium and there is no where near as much storage as our previous pop ups had.  Being used to both pull out ends being a bed may be a difficult transition for sleeping 3.  It's just the two of us so no problem, but using the dining table all the time as a bed may be difficult.

Well, when I retired I traded in my Fleetwood Niagara Pop Up for a 35' travel trailer.  Over teh past 18 months we discovered the big trailer just did not fit "most" of our camping sites.  We like going into primitive campgrounds or even dispersed camping out in the National Forrest.

Well, last month we found an Aliner Expedition that we loved.  Set up is a breeze, much easier than any previous pop ups.  The biggest con was at the ends where the "A" meets the box.  You have to be careful not to hit your head all the time.  Now, the one we settled on was a model that had "dormers".  I'm not sure if any of the manufacturers other than Aliner have dormers.  These pop up at both ends (they are an option and you can get one or both) from the roof and allow you to stand up all the way to the end.

Space is at a premium and there is no where near as much storage as our previous pop ups had.  Being used to both pull out ends being a bed may be a difficult transition for sleeping 3.  It's just the two of us so no problem, but using the dining table all the time as a bed may be difficult.

Thank you for your perspective and in particular this last part.  We are first time RVers and have only tent camped except for this last summer when we rented at TT and got the "fever".  At first we really wanted a TT because  of the space and our TV can handle it.  But soon realized our budget and RV storage options were better suited to a pop-up or A frame.  The set up take down of the dining area is a bit of a pain but the $$ saved by going smaller will make it worth it :)

• 4 months later...

http://www.berrylandcampers.com/pop-up-campers/chalet/chalet-1935-pop-up-camper-n725143.html

we saw some these last year.  at least they have a ceiling bump out.

The ceiling "bump out" is a dormer.  I have two on mine and they make it feel more roomy.  Depending on the year/manufacturer the dormer walls can be canvas like a pop up or hard sided.

• 2 months later...

We've been looking at pop-ups and A-liners a lot lately. I think we're leaning more towards a travel trailer at this point, even though that means we would have to pay for storage. The original reasons for looking at the A-frames were for 1) storing it in our garage, 2) it beats being in a tent during a storm 3) we could actually camp in the summer and probably be really comfortable. We looked at an A-liner the other day that had a hard-sided dormer on one end (where the bathroom was) and it was unbelievable how much bigger it made it feel. We're not close to doing anything yet and are always looking. It's possible we might lean back that way in the end.

17 hours ago, sherryberry said:

We've been looking at pop-ups and A-liners a lot lately. I think we're leaning more towards a travel trailer at this point, even though that means we would have to pay for storage. The original reasons for looking at the A-frames were for 1) storing it in our garage, 2) it beats being in a tent during a storm 3) we could actually camp in the summer and probably be really comfortable. We looked at an A-liner the other day that had a hard-sided dormer on one end (where the bathroom was) and it was unbelievable how much bigger it made it feel. We're not close to doing anything yet and are always looking. It's possible we might lean back that way in the end.

It's so easy to keep going back and forth!?

I have a friend on another forum who recently downsized from a popup to an Aliner, with dormers and an airconditioner.  Kids were on their own and the popup was just too large for the two of them.  He seems very happy with his choice.  He may have been one you saw recently at the Fort.

• 2 weeks later...

We have looked at some and liked them. We have a small teardrop with a  side tent for out daughter so it works for us. We moved from a tent and i am happy for a comfortable bed, a/c (the south is hot and humid), and a tv is I really want to watch it. Actually the only place we have ever had any interest of using the tv was the Fort. Other than that we have used a couple of times during rain to watch a movie.

My only concern with the a-frames was when i was researching them a couple of years ago. I kept seeing water issues where the hinge meets the main trailer body at each end. It's probably just overblown but who knows.

I know in a couple of years we are going to upgrade from our teardrop to a travel trailer. I like the t@b's as we have a t@g. The thing is we really like the Lance 1685. More expensive but really gives up the ability for 3 to take longer trips out west and of course to the Fort.

Carol, we have looked at T@B's for years. The thing is we may have waited a little too long. Our daughter is getting older so in a couple of years we may be buying a larger camper. Looking at Lance RV's right now. 

I'll be honest, I love the T@B's so time will tell. My plan if I do that is to maybe keep the T@G for shorter trips. Either way the T@G isn't going anywhere for a while. Not after we just fixed up the galley!

Agreed, T@Bs are definitely for 2 people. Although you could get a small Class B or truck camper to pull the T@G with :) Little Guy is making those Cirrus Truck campers now, although you could probably buy a Lance for what the truck would cost :)

We have looked at some and liked them. We have a small teardrop with a  side tent for out daughter so it works for us. We moved from a tent and i am happy for a comfortable bed, a/c (the south is hot and humid), and a tv is I really want to watch it. Actually the only place we have ever had any interest of using the tv was the Fort. Other than that we have used a couple of times during rain to watch a movie.

My only concern with the a-frames was when i was researching them a couple of years ago. I kept seeing water issues where the hinge meets the main trailer body at each end. It's probably just overblown but who knows.

I know in a couple of years we are going to upgrade from our teardrop to a travel trailer. I like the t@b's as we have a t@g. The thing is we really like the Lance 1685. More expensive but really gives up the ability for 3 to take longer trips out west and of course to the Fort.

We have been really looking at the Lance trailers also. We have a dealership nearby that has t@bs, airstreams, and Lance. We were really contemplating a small airstream, but they're just SO expensive! But I am so in love with them (mostly just love the way they look, but I'm sure it would last us forever). The Lance trailers are very well-built and they're super spacious. And for being a fairly small TT, they have huge water tanks (45 fresh, 45 black, 45 grey) - that's a big selling point for me. It seems like a lot of the state park campgrounds around here don't have sewage at the sites - you have to go to a dump station. I'd feel good about knowing it might take a while to fill the tanks. We thought the bunk in the 1685 was hilarious. Neither one of us could ever get up in that thing!

19 minutes ago, sherryberry said:

We have been really looking at the Lance trailers also. We have a dealership nearby that has t@bs, airstreams, and Lance. We were really contemplating a small airstream, but they're just SO expensive! But I am so in love with them (mostly just love the way they look, but I'm sure it would last us forever). The Lance trailers are very well-built and they're super spacious. And for being a fairly small TT, they have huge water tanks (45 fresh, 45 black, 45 grey) - that's a big selling point for me. It seems like a lot of the state park campgrounds around here don't have sewage at the sites - you have to go to a dump station. I'd feel good about knowing it might take a while to fill the tanks. We thought the bunk in the 1685 was hilarious. Neither one of us could ever get up in that thing!

I love Airstreams; it's hard for me to not stalk owners at campgrounds...haha ?  For us, we just couldn't afford one and we wanted a little more space that a slide affords you.  But seriously...love 'em.

I agree with you on the larger tanks.  We have a local CG that we really like, but we limit our stats to 3 nights (typically 2) because the sites are not full hook-ups.

We camped in an Airstream Argosy for 20 years.  Loved that trailer.  There's nothing like an Airstream!  But, with that being said, we traded up for a Class A.  And however much I thought I would miss the Airstream, I've never looked back.

But if we ever had to move back to a TT, it would only be in an Airstream.

On April 16, 2016 at 7:49 PM, sherryberry said:

One of the features I like is being able to get the all weather package. I have looked and haven't really find anyone else doing that they way they do. Heating the holding tanks and wastes valves with the furnace is a great idea.