Hello,

Full of questions today... So, like many, I used to be able to "beat the system" and find in high demand nights by searching for a full week or so, booking the whole trip, and then going back and cancelling the unwanted nights. IE. only keeping the weekend days.

Yesterday, I was able to book 6 nights on the for the second week of October, and called Disney to remove some of the unwanted nights. The lady on the phone told me that she could not adjust it, but needed to contact some higher ups, and they took take care of it, and this normally takes 24 hours. I go on today to find that my reservation has been completely cancelled, and shows no record of it.... WTH?

Is this no longer a way to reserve stays? or did I get screwed?

Eric

The goof crew tried to screw me on this new system. But I got pushed through as I wanted to add people to my stay. That explains the glitch they dealt with the other day. 45 min to add 1 person onto my stay smh.  I can understand the not allowing anyone to book a week the cutting back to 2 or 3 nights. But why hassle someone adding people

The "workaround" for reservations isn't what it used to be. The thread TCD noted above gives all the gory details.

BUT... they should not have canceled your whole trip!! 

It's possible they're still in the process of updating the system, but if it doesn't reappear ASAP, I'd get back on the phone.

Unfortunately they may come back and tell you you're out of luck for cutting down your reservation to just the weekend and will have to rebook - assuming there's availability for the days you really need.

It seems lately they're more flexible about dropping than they were right after they made the change to the reservation system, IF you're not talking about a busy/holiday weekend. 

Good luck!!

What about if you just checked out early, will they still refund the unused days?  I know that sucks by tying up dates others can use, but it beats losing the whole reservation. 

Yes, that still works.

And, if you don't want Disney holding on to your money, you can even drop the days you don't need when you check in, and only pay for the nights you will be there.

I did that for my 4th of July trip this year, which was after all these new restrictions kicked in.

Yes, it leaves those dates open at the last minute.  But whose fault is that?

TCD

And that doesn't help if you had to book days before you really wanted to check in.

Any day alterations they now treat like a new reservation, and if the days you want to change to aren't available you are out of luck... unless you are lucky enough to get in touch with someone that has the authority to make changes.

They seem to be a lot more "flexible" about dropping days if you're still holding onto a sizable number - i.e., if you've got 3-1/2 weeks and want to drop the first 3 days, easy peasy!  They didn't even give me the whole "sorry you'll have to rebook" schpiel, just "hang on, I need to give this to a Guest Relations rep" and 3 minutes later it was all taken care of.  (caveat: the original reservation was booked before the policy change was made - not sure if that made a difference). Word on the street lately is that if you're still holding onto at least 5 nights, it can be easier to drop some, but still no guarantees.

If you've got a week booked and want to drop all the days except the weekend (especially a holiday weekend)... reports are that you're probably going to have to rebook.