Not a limit, but just like a hotel room or most campgrounds, charge a fee for extra people up to the current limit of 10.  I think that would push the "lets cram as many people and tents and cars onto one site as we can get away with" crowd back into the value resort rooms or off property.  The big problem groups usually come to the Fort not because they want to camp but because it's the cheapest way to get a lot of people onto Disney property w/ all the bennies that go with it.  Same with the Phantom sites that actual camping families could otherwise use.

I agree that if they don't ban carts altogether then the cart enforcement needs to be stepped up a LOT. Problem is that Disney can't or won't enforce their own rules fairly and consistently which is why it's out of control now...

Our state park campgrounds have a hard limit of six people and two tents or RV/tent per site along with two vehicles. If you have more you need to rent another site. I would prefer to see something like that with maybe one vehicle per site and a max of one vehicle in the overflow lot.

One thing I would like to see changed are the corporate vehicles that park near the front office need to go. They also need a check in lane. We were referred to the office to check in on our last trip. There was no place to park in the lot and for a 5 minute activity I shouldn't have to walk a mile. I just went ahead and parked along the curb leaving plenty of room for people to go around and for the airport buses to park. While I was inside a CM was harassing my wife to move our rig. She told him I don't drive it and refused to do anything. He walked away and didn't bother to confront me when I came out (I've been told I can be scary). Other than what happened to my wife I liked the office check in. We were in and out while folks we were behind in the main line were still waiting.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have no doubt some of them are.  However, there are many who do not work for Disney.  When the other resorts were not fenced in, and did not have the guard shacks at their entrances, a lot of people

Unfortunately that seems to be the way a lot of folks are today. The world was made for them and the rest of us are just window dressing. I'm generally an optimist and believe things will get better b

What is it about campgrounds that makes people crazy idiots?  I just don't understand how kids are allowed to drive golf carts period!  Drivers license needed to operate!  I just can't stand kids who

The problem at the Fort is that in the past few years, management decided to stop enforcing their own rules, and the anything goes management style has emboldened people who want to take advantage of the low prices they can enjoy by packing people into the sites.  A new list of rules is great, but it won't do a think unless management does their job.  That's where the disconnect is.

TCD

Correct.  TCD has nailed it as usual.  We can debate the fine points on all of these rules or ideas all we like, but if FW were to just consistently enforce whats already on their books most of our complaints would go away.....   

One other detail that I haven't mentioned is that the overwhelming majority of these freeloaders are Hispanic.  Who are they and what makes them so bold to invade a resort pool?  Like I said, they clearly have the blessing from management to be there.  Bus drivers pick them up and drop them off.  Security, maintenance, and lifeguard CM's see what they're doing, and no effort is made to stop it.  A lot of them seem to know each other. Like I said, I believe that these are friends and family of Fort Wilderness employees.  They are welcomed guests by management.  There's no other way to explain it.

TCD

I have noticed the same thing. Perhaps there is a fear on the part of the Fort Mngmt to not generate ANY complaints of racism and the safe thing is to say and do nothing......  In police depts around the country recently they refer to a similar lack of enforcement as the "Ferguson Effect"....

Please note that I am NOT saying that any of this is the case at the Fort, simply agreeing with TCD's observation and giving one possible explanation....   :mellow:

Some people (not me) actually have more than 2 kids, so they're not "cramming as many people" in.  Disney is set up for 4 people families. Yes, I know they have suites, but that isn't very economical for some families.  So, the campground is actually more affordable for those if they have a camper or tent. So, I don't really agree with your limit (or non-limit) of 4 per site.  Most campgrounds have at least 6 or 8.  

Agreed, lots of families have more than 2 kids, so my counter to that would be what was mentioned above as the old rule at the Fort:  2 adults and up to 8 kids, any more adults get charged an additional fee.  I would personally prefer a lower number say 4 or 6 kids, then extra fees above that, but keep the upper limit at 10 max per site.

That would allow large families the flexibility to plan ahead and decide whether camping makes sense and whether to pay the extra fees, get another site or stay somewhere else.

Also a "limit" is just that, a cap you don't exceed.  What I am talking about is a fee structure that still allows people to have up to 10 in a site but only at an additional cost. Not a Limit, an Incentive....

Like most people are saying, if they enforce the current rules there would be a lot less issues.

And I've seen it on this site rarely and more so on other sites where people say if you don't like the way the Fort is, then don't come.  All that means is that the rule breakers/obnoxious/ignorant people have won.

Maybe we all need to start getting more vocal to the Fort management and to Disney customer service about the things that aren't being handled fairly or even at all.

Jose must have someone he reports to.  When you voice a concern in person, email, or regular mail, include him or her.  Let them know that the atmosphere at the Fort is deteriorating rapidly and it's no longer up to Walt's standards.

We used to try to hit up the Fort around the Holidays to see the decorations and take a wagon ride and get some snacks even if we weren't staying there.  But if  keeping us from visiting when we aren't staying there stops all the over the top freeloaders, then so be it.

I agree we all do need to be more vocal to the Management when we are there.

The old rule was that there was an extra charge for more than two adults- no extra charge for up to 8 children. I thought that was fine, and things would be a lot better if they just enforced the old rule. It would stink for me, as my kids are all adults now, but I'd be willing to pay the extra charge if it was uniformly enforced, as I believe that one step would cut down on the site overcrowding that we see today.

TCD

It is not an old rule that you have to pay for any adult after the first 2. We leave for the fort in a couple months and had to pay extra each night on our reservation because we are taking my mom. I don't like the idea of limiting the number of guests because that would punish us (4 kids) because others abuse it. We won't be making noise at all hours or having any sorts of visitors making a lot of traffic on the loop.

In my opinion is that the fort is a family alternative to have a more traditional and wholesome family experience then just a hotel and eating at restaurants.

What is it about campgrounds that makes people crazy idiots?  I just don't understand how kids are allowed to drive golf carts period!  Drivers license needed to operate!  I just can't stand kids who barely know how to control a vehicle careening around with a group of others hanging onto the side!  and dare I ask... where the heck are the parents?? One good accident and maybe Disney will put a stop to it.

It is not an old rule that you have to pay for any adult after the first 2. We leave for the fort in a couple months and had to pay extra each night on our reservation because we are taking my mom. I don't like the idea of limiting the number of guests because that would punish us (4 kids) because others abuse it. We won't be making noise at all hours or having any sorts of visitors making a lot of traffic on the loop.

In my opinion is that the fort is a family alternative to have a more traditional and wholesome family experience then just a hotel and eating at restaurants.

You are right that for some large families it would be an extra expense, but there is no question that the current policy is being abused, and not just by an isolated group here and there.  I can't remember a trip recently where there weren't 3 or 4 sites on every loop that were clearly overloaded in every way possible. People, tents, cars, trucks, bikes, golf carts etc etc.  It has gotten to the point where one group feels free to make other guests miserable and not have to worry about any consequences.

I believe that if the Fort adopted the same rules that most campgrounds have it would go a long way to solving some of the overcrowding issues.

And again:  It wouldn't be a "Limit" other than the existing 10 person total limit (which is also not-enforced)  You would be free to have 10 people, you would just have to pay more for the extras, just like everyone does at any other resort or they get another room...

Do you have any alternatives to charging extra?

Just curious but do they really do a head count at the sites?  It seems to me that anyone can easily get into the fort at anytime.  Unlike the traditional resorts, you can't just drive onto property.  When we saw Hoop-de-doo last month we just told the guard that's what we were doing.  Didn't check our reservation..nothing. So if you have 10 people on a site ... who's counting?

Just curious but do they really do a head count at the sites?  It seems to me that anyone can easily get into the fort at anytime.  Unlike the traditional resorts, you can't just drive onto property.  When we saw Hoop-de-doo last month we just told the guard that's what we were doing.  Didn't check our reservation..nothing. So if you have 10 people on a site ... who's counting?

In some cases it is really obvious.  Also, most people want the magic bands, which you get if you are on the reservation.  That would keep many honest, but you are right, anybody could easily get around it and never have a problem.

In some cases it is really obvious.  Also, most people want the magic bands, which you get if you are on the reservation.  That would keep many honest, but you are right, anybody could easily get around it and never have a problem.

Part of the problem is that all of folks old Magic Bands work on multiple reservations.....

So, if a guest comes multiple times, and has 10 guests on their reservation, simply giving an "extra guest or two" an old Magic Band, will get them in the gates.

They charged $2 per adult over the first 2 adults. I think they could charge more but they go by what ages you put in and could tell them that everyone over the first 2 are adults and avoid it.

I am confused by what you're saying here. I think there must be a typo.  Telling them that everyone is an adult would not avoid the charge.

Do you have a campsite or cabin reservation?  For the past many years, including 2015, I have not been charged the extra adult charge for any of my adult children, and they are correctly listed on my reservation as adults.  Just to make sure nothing has changed for 2016, I just went through the process of booking a campsite with 5 adults, and there is no extra charge being assessed, nor is there any mention of it in all of the fine print about the rate.  They definitely do charge extra for each adult beyond two at all of the other Disney Resorts, and for the cabins, but not for the campsites. This is a giant loophole that cheaters gleefully exploit when they book "dummy" reservations.

Putting adults on the reservation as children isn't going to work if you want to take advantage of booking FP+'s 60 days out for them. They need to be correctly named on the reservation in order for the system to recognize that they are eligible to book FP+'s.

TCD

I am confused by what you're saying here. I think there must be a typo.  Telling them that everyone is an adult would not avoid the charge.

Do you have a campsite or cabin reservation?  For the past many years, including 2015, I have not been charged the extra adult charge for any of my adult children, and they are correctly listed on my reservation as adults.  Just to make sure nothing has changed for 2016, I just went through the process of booking a campsite with 5 adults, and there is no extra charge being assessed, nor is there any mention of it in all of the fine print about the rate.  They definitely do charge extra for each adult beyond two at all of the other Disney Resorts, and for the cabins, but not for the campsites. This is a giant loophole that cheaters gleefully exploit when they book "dummy" reservations.

Putting adults on the reservation as children isn't going to work if you want to take advantage of booking FP+'s 60 days out for them. They need to be correctly named on the reservation in order for the system to recognize that they are eligible to book FP+'s.

TCD

I am confused by what Disney considers an adult.  :P

My kids are 15 &13.  They are adults when buying tickets to the parks (at age 10!) , but not adults for say, the Segway tour.

And, they're adults for the buffet restaurants, but not for room reservations.

TCD

I forgot about that.  We went to Biergarten a month after my oldest turned 10.  Of course when they asked how old he was he told them.  My kids have always been very picky and not big eaters, so he probably ate about $3 worth of food.  It's really hard to tell your kids that it's okay to lie sometimes.  :lol:

Part of the problem is that all of folks old Magic Bands work on multiple reservations.....

So, if a guest comes multiple times, and has 10 guests on their reservation, simply giving an "extra guest or two" an old Magic Band, will get them in the gates.

Good point.

No head counts that I'm aware of. In fact even when it's a blatent violation the worse Disney might do is make you move any cars that aren't on the pavement.

I have seen people have so many tents that they even pitched 5 or 6 of them so far behind the site they were blocking the dog path. That went on for several days even after the Front Desk was advised...

I am confused by what you're saying here. I think there must be a typo. Telling them that everyone is an adult would not avoid the charge.

TCD

I did put it wrong and people could just lie and say everyone is under 18. I went in like I was booking it and didn't see the added fee but both my wife and saw it when we booked back, I think, in September and added my mom. Does disney ever give you an itemized list of all the charges? All the confirmation says is a total price and taxes.

• 4 weeks later...

So, it's been a few months now since the idiots in charge paid someone to paint those yellow stripes on every site in the 300 loop.  Things should be much improved in that loop now.  I've been wanting to check on things now that the crazy holiday time is over.  Sure it was packed over the holidays, and it was probably hard to keep folks from parking in the area marked off by the stripes.  But it's not too crazy now, so things should be good. Right/

Let's see how things looked yesterday morning, Sunday, January 31.

Here we are walking in to the loop.  Look here- a respectful and considerate camper has respected the lines:

1%2031%2016%20028_zpsdkmssu36.jpg

Well, that didn't last long.  Just a few sites into the loop, and here we have a guy who is parked completely on top of the lines- good luck if a new camper shows up who wants to back in to the site across from this jackwagon:

1%2031%2016%20029_zpsmkvjzrfh.jpg

Side note- around the same time the geniuses in charge broke out the yellow paint, they spent a butt load of the outrageous profits they have been raking in on "bear proof" trashcans, which have been installed around the various loops.  I guess 300 loop guests can fight off the bears on their own, because they have the same old trash cans here:

1%2031%2016%20031_zpsnmgroxdn.jpg

Up there on the left, you can see that the campers in that spot have parked their two golf carts right on the "grass" and right on the edge of the loop road.  That's so they had room to park two trucks on their crowded site.  And both of those trucks are way over the yellow lines:

1%2031%2016%20032_zpsiuaqd9cq.jpg

Well, this isn't looking so good, is it?  It seems like that was a lot of wasted yellow paint, doesn't it?

And, that's before we got to see this mess up there on the right.  There's an SUV and a golf cart parked all over the yellow stripes, and then a Real Man of Genius has his pick-up backed up on the "grass", with the front actually hanging out into the loop. Impressive:

1%2031%2016%20033_zpsssu2bp6d.jpg

I wasn't planning to walk around the entire loop, and I didn't.  I was on my way out the back to inspect the BABH (Big A** Bat House).  So, this is my last photo showing the situation in the loop, but as you can see, all the campers around the curve in the loop also figured that those yellow stripes meant "Park Here!":

1%2031%2016%20034_zpsv8emv5zm.jpg

Well, there you have it.  We didn't even get half-way around the loop, and those yellow stripes have not accomplished anything in terms of getting campers to park back from the road so they won't obstruct others from backing into their sites.

Of course, those ever-vigilant Fort Rangers are too busy making sure that we are safe from golf cart scofflaws and their 100% enforcement of no kids driving golf cart rules, so we can't expect them to politely ask guests to park properly.  And Jose is no doubt busy creating Rootin' Tootin" memos to post on the bulletin boards about how much the Fort appreciates the suckers who pay $170 a night for a slab of concrete.  So, what can you do?

TCD

Yep... that's pretty much what 300 looked like during the slow weeks at the beginning of November too. 

As for the trash cans, maybe they're waiting for the rest of the old ones on 300 to get squashed by people who can't get into their sites because people are parked all over the place, before they replace them. :rolleyes:

(and yes... I've seen it happen)