So, I was cleaning yesterday and had a lot to accomplish in a small amount of time... which means I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing.  I had turned the back burner of the stove on to boil some water but, had completely forgotten that I had turned it on (and it wasn't red yet) so imagine my "surprise" when I went to pick up the burner to clean under it.  Yeah... not pretty. I burned my left pointer finger and thumb pretty good.  Man it hurt!!  I immediately grabbed some ice (which I later read that you're not suppose to do as it could damage the skin) but hey...did I mention that IT HURT?!!  So, after 10 minutes of holding ice on it, I tried to remove the ice and no good...it hurt too bad.  Then I grabbed a bowl with some water a couple of ice cubes and kept my fingers soaking for probably a good 30-45 minutes.  While in the water, I felt no pain; but the moment I took my fingers out of the water... oh. my. gosh.  Man, it hurt!!

So...off the computer, one good hand and google I went.  Found suggestions for soaking in white vinegar which I did but... it still hurt.  Then I tried a baking soda paste with a band-aid...yeah, no help.  I walked over to my neighbor's house (hand in water) and got some Aloe and that did not help at all (then again it was blue and the second ingredient on the jar of "pain relieving Aloe" was alcohol...what???  :wacko: ).  So, back to google I went and found a suggestion for tinfoil.  The site said to wrap some foil around your finger (shiny side down) and that this would relieve the pain and aid in healing (because of the metal in the foil).  At this point, I was willing to try anything as my fingers were still burning and I didn't want to have my hand sitting in water all day.  So... tried it and guess what, it worked!  I have no idea why, but as soon as I wrapped my fingers, they stopped hurting!!   This morning I have some blisters, but there is no pain (I have band-aids on both fingers to protect them).  As for the foil, I left the fingers wrapped for a couple hours, then covered with a band-aid.

Tinfoil...who knew??

Good to know!

Aloe works well, but we have not found a prepared version that works well.  Been told it has to be "cold processed", whatever that means.

We keep an aloe plant in the kitchen window and clip off a small piece to squeeze juice from when needed.  Works much better than anything we have bought.

Crest mint toothpaste is good for a burn too.  The old-fashioned plain kind -- not the gel.

Good to know about the foil!

You know, I read that too... but I have Arm & Hammer toothpaste so, no go there.

So it's good for more than just making hats?!   Good to know. I could have used it the time I stupidly put my hand on a stove burner to see if it was still hot (it was...). 

Ouch!!   

Good to know!

Aloe works well, but we have not found a prepared version that works well.  Been told it has to be "cold processed", whatever that means.

We keep an aloe plant in the kitchen window and clip off a small piece to squeeze juice from when needed.  Works much better than anything we have bought.

Yeah... I think the Aloe plant would have work 100% better than the BLUE bottle of alcohol  Aloe my neighbor had me try ;)

Sorry that happened but thanks for sharing!

Thanks!  Yeah, I know... who picks up a burner, 45 seconds after turning it on??  Mercy  :blink:

It just so happens a friend and fellow Fiend posted on FB tonight that she burned her wrist pretty badly cooking dinner.

Beckers and I both pointed her to this info and she said it really does feel much better!  :)

Sorry that she burned herself! :(    Glad the tinfoil is helping... crazy stuff!