Aroma rice cooker/steamer-anyone have this??

We've been looking for a timed slow cooker and found this one at walmart.  I'm not sure about it.  It can cook rice and meals.  I'm wondering if anyone has this and how they like it.  Any recipes to share.  

The normal slow cooker part isn't the issue.  Its the rice cooking and making a full meal with rice that I question.  Can all the meat, vegies go right in with the rice and cook it like it says??  

Just want some honest opinions about this pot..

We've been looking for a timed slow cooker and found this one at walmart.  I'm not sure about it.  It can cook rice and meals.  I'm wondering if anyone has this and how they like it.  Any recipes to share.  

The normal slow cooker part isn't the issue.  Its the rice cooking and making a full meal with rice that I question.  Can all the meat, vegies go right in with the rice and cook it like it says??  

Just want some honest opinions about this pot..

You probably meant to post a link, right?

TCD

We have a rice cooker that works great for rice, and there are a lot of sites/videos on how to cook entire meals in it.  We used it one time when we stayed in a hotel and my wife cooked entire meals in it.

But, it is NOT a steamer, you add the rice and water together in a pot which sits in the cooker shell.

We do have a steamer that is probably closer to what you are talking about.

It came with a rice bowl insert that you can use for other types of items that would get too soggy exposed to direct steam.

The steamer is very versatile.  We use it for vegetables mostly, but have cooked chicken in it and rice.

Reading the description of the Aroma on the Wal-Mart site, you have a steamer basket above the rice bowl and the meat/vegetables cook separately from the rice.

If you want a very versatile all in one cooker, look at the Ninja cooker.  It can be used as a cooker to brown your meat before you switch it to the slow cooker mode.  It can even be used for baking.

There is a 3 in 1 system around $99, and a 4 in 1 for $130 or so.

Looking at the manufacturer website it appears to me to be a rice cooker with a steamer basket insert that sits in the upper portion. I have a couple of issues with it. The first and major one is the rice flavor will be contaminated by whatever you steam above it. The other is the steaming of meat or poultry. To me these aren't very appetizing on their own without some means of browning them. If you were going to use them in a soup or sauce it would be ok but I think there are still better ways to cook them.

Personally I would just go for separate slow cookers and rice cookers. We have a small rice cooker that works very well for the two of us but is still large enough if we need to feed a couple more people. We have both large and small slow cookers. My only complaint with the small one is it is not a set it in the morning and come back ten hours later type of appliance like our large one is. Due to its small size it cooks in about half the time even on low so I either start it on a timer or just use it when I can start it around noon.

The other is the steaming of meat or poultry. To me these aren't very appetizing on their own without some means of browning them. If you were going to use them in a soup or sauce it would be ok but I think there are still better ways to cook them.

Personally I would just go for separate slow cookers and rice cookers. We have a small rice cooker that works very well for the two of us but is still large enough if we need to feed a couple more people. We have both large and small slow cookers. My only complaint with the small one is it is not a set it in the morning and come back ten hours later type of appliance like our large one is. Due to its small size it cooks in about half the time even on low so I either start it on a timer or just use it when I can start it around noon.

I was thinking the flavor may not be very good for steamed meats.  Doing vegies and rice would be alright.  But I want my meal done.    I really want a slow cooker with a timer.  

You probably meant to post a link, right?

TCD

No, but here it is. lol  I didn't even think about the link.  I was just wondering if anyone had it.  :)

http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-20-Cup-Digital-Steamer-Stainless/dp/B0055FSN0Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1443274729&sr=1-2&keywords=aroma+rice+cooker+steamer

We have a rice cooker that works great for rice, and there are a lot of sites/videos on how to cook entire meals in it.  We used it one time when we stayed in a hotel and my wife cooked entire meals in it.

But, it is NOT a steamer, you add the rice and water together in a pot which sits in the cooker shell.

We do have a steamer that is probably closer to what you are talking about.

It came with a rice bowl insert that you can use for other types of items that would get too soggy exposed to direct steam.

The steamer is very versatile.  We use it for vegetables mostly, but have cooked chicken in it and rice.

Reading the description of the Aroma on the Wal-Mart site, you have a steamer basket above the rice bowl and the meat/vegetables cook separately from the rice.

If you want a very versatile all in one cooker, look at the Ninja cooker.  It can be used as a cooker to brown your meat before you switch it to the slow cooker mode.  It can even be used for baking.

There is a 3 in 1 system around $99, and a 4 in 1 for $130 or so.

I have cooked meals in the oven with rice.  But, I think I'm going to skip this one.  It was only $35.  I am looking more for a slow cooker that has a timer on it and will switch to warm after the time is up.  

I wasn't looking for a steamer or rice cooker but thought it may be a neat thing to have.  The cooking times for steaming and rice are very short so, those won't work on weekdays.  I'm just going to keep looking.  I will find a timer slow cooker (only) that isn't too expensive sooner or later.

Thanks-you have helped me decide I don't need a steamer.   Maybe someday a rice cooker but for now I will just keep looking for a timer slow cooker.

I was thinking the flavor may not be very good for steamed meats.  Doing vegies and rice would be alright.  But I want my meal done.    I really want a slow cooker with a timer. 

Steamed fish or chicken could be good, especially if you're steaming with a flavorful liquid, but I don't think I'd want to attempt pork or beef.

I've had this slow cooker for a few years now and LOVE it...

713wzKFhDwL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-33967A-Programmable-6-Quart/dp/B00EZI26DW

If you want to wait, Black Friday sales,usually,have a crock pot or two listed.

Definitely get a digital one, when the cooking time is done it shits to warm.

The probe ones are good also, just pricier.

I got a brand new 5 quart digital Rival at a Goodwill in Orlando for $15. Used it,on,our last trip.

Oh. I'm going to tell on you.

yeah, i don't know about that one either..    :o

:rotfl6:

I am taking this one back and will wait and see what I can find that is just a timed slow cooker.  One that goes to keep warm..  i will have to make sure i don't get the one that shits down.  i'd have to cook with it in stall #2    :tounge-smiley:

I have the Aroma Rice Cooker/Steamer.  I have cooked an entire meal in it.  But there is only one meal i try in it.  "Fried" rice.

The ratio of water to rice for the cooker is 3/4 cup rice to one cup water.

I put 3 cups uncooked rice in the cooker.  I add 1/2 cup soy and 3 1/2 cups water.  Then I add about 1/2 a large bag of frozen mixed veggies.  I let this sit a few hours.  (I usually set it up around 2 or 3 and then set the timer to have every thing ready at 6pm.)  About an hour before it should be done (before it starts actually cooking), if i have any cooked meat I want to add (usually pork or chicken leftover from another meal), i toss that in.

My kids love this meal.  

I tried the steamer basket, but the veggies weren't cooked enough.

I also like the cooker for cooking brown rice.  

I often will cook dried beans in my crockpot and set up the rice cooker to have rice ready at dinner time.  That makes a warm, filling meal.