Yet another loop/site advice request!!

Ok.so I know you guys probably get tired of  loop/site advice BUT I have another one for you! We will be camping at the fort for 2 weeks in November. We have reserved a premium site but will have a family of 5 in a small to medium travel trailer so a loop with a comfort station is a must. Our next priority is nature. We are a family of nature LOVERS! We really want a site as wooded as possible and would LOVE to be on the canal. So far, we have not had many problems backing the camper into MOST spots so hopefully that will not be an issue. As I researched fortfriends for HOURS yesterday, watched all the videos, checked out the app and read as many comments and reviews as possible, I quickly realized that most of the sites close to the activities didn't seem to be as 'natural' as some of the sites that are further out. If it were just me, the hubby, and our adventurous 8 year old, this would not be a problem for us and our bikes but we are lucky enough to have grandparents joining us on this trip and I hate the thought of them having hike all over. We do plan to rent a golf cart for a few of our days to explore and enjoy the fort but can't afford to rent one the whole 2 weeks.

We are looking at:

1400  loop but could not tell how the canal looked and most sites did not look very wooded.  Are there any nice wooded sites along the canal on the outer loop?

1300 loop but wondered if it might be too far to the boat launch to MK for the grandparents.

500, 800, and 900 but wondered if anyone has had any problems with pet noise on these loops

Any way to have our cake and eat it to? Can you think of any very wooded premium sites along the canal that is in a loop with a comfort station and still not TOO far of a walk for the grandparents to trek over to the pool and to the boats for MK? What are your favorite loops/sites?  Sorry for the long post :(

Can you think of any very wooded premium sites along the canal that is in a loop with a comfort station and still not TOO far of a walk for the grandparents to trek over to the pool and to the boats for MK?

The grandparents can always take an internal Fort bus to the boats, to the pool, and to the outpost for the buses to the other parks.  There's no need for them to have to walk unless they want to.

Like Gwen said, the busses are a great option if the walk is to far.

We have stayed in the 500 loop a lot and is one of our preferred loops. As far as pet noise we have never had a problem in any of the loops.

Are you wanting to be on the canal got view or fishing?

900 is very wooded as is 700. 700 does not have its own comfort station but does have a path about halfway through that crosses the main road to the 500 comfort station. 700 is close to the settlement and is very wooded but no canal.

They were trimming some of the bushes between sites in 1400 towards the end of Sept. Have never stayed in 1400 so can't really help with that.

If I remember correctly there was a Google Earth map that showed the sites with numbers. But I can't remember where I saw it and haven't looked for it. Hopefully someone will be along with a link to it , I would like to have it again.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly there was a Google Earth map that showed the sites with numbers. But I can't remember where I saw it and haven't looked for it. Hopefully someone will be along with a link to it , I would like to have it again.

There is indeed!  Info/link on this page along with maps, loop/site info, link to the Fort Fiends mobile app and videos of all camping loops...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loop-information/site-classifications-r61

There is indeed!  Info/link on this page along with maps, loop/site info, link to the Fort Fiends mobile app and videos of all camping loops...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loop-information/site-classifications-r61

Thanks Mo, I knew it was somewhere lol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The 1300 loop has a bus stop at its entrance. It also has a playground in the same vicinity. I'm not the best judge of nonlinear distances but if you are in the back near the canal it is about a city block walk maybe a touch more or less depending upon what site you have and route taken. I would not call the 1300 loop heavily wooded or private but I would say none of FW really. The exception maybe the 3000 loop (joke :lol: ). You do get daytime noise, mostly afternoon, from the activities going on in the Meadows area but it hasn't ever bothered the DW or myself as we are gone doing other things most of the time.

I've not stayed in the 1400 loop but it too has a bus stop out front. It should be a closer walk to get to the pool and campfire than 1300. I also suspect it will be quieter during the day in regards to the activities at the Meadows. Then again there is a basketball court so a lot depends upon how close you are to it.

Some of you more adventurous campers may correct me, but aren't most of the canals mainly drainage ditches usually covered with the green growth?  I've tried to stay away from them in our visits, but to each, his own.  The Meadows (pool, etc) area is near the middle of FW and the Settlement (Marina, etc) is near the far end from the check-in location.  While none of these distances matter if you have a GC or take the internal busses, they can be quite long if you are not used to walking on a regular basis.  The Fort is about a mile long and a half mile across.  Although there are still some pine trees around the FOrt, there is not much "wooded nature" among most of the campsites, and you can likely see 4-5 sites around you, with some bushes between adjacent sites.  You could see some squirrels and lizards around most sites, with occasional wild turkeys wandering about.  I don't know if armadillos are still around or not.  We have seen deer along the road near the 500/1400 Loops, but these will mostly be along the walkway between FW and WL.

Some of you more adventurous campers may correct me, but aren't most of the canals mainly drainage ditches usually covered with the green growth?  I've tried to stay away from them in our visits, but to each, his own.  The Meadows (pool, etc) area is near the middle of FW and the Settlement (Marina, etc) is near the far end from the check-in location.  While none of these distances matter if you have a GC or take the internal busses, they can be quite long if you are not used to walking on a regular basis.  The Fort is about a mile long and a half mile across.  Although there are still some pine trees around the FOrt, there is not much "wooded nature" among most of the campsites, and you can likely see 4-5 sites around you, with some bushes between adjacent sites.  You could see some squirrels and lizards around most sites, with occasional wild turkeys wandering about.  I don't know if armadillos are still around or not.  We have seen deer along the road near the 500/1400 Loops, but these will mostly be along the walkway between FW and WL.

The main canal from the fishing hole at the bike barn and out past the pool to the big canal behind 1500 is clear.

The smaller canal behind 1400 back to the fishing hole is a green mess with a lot of hidden floating logs.  It's a shame that Fort management doesn't take pride in the grounds, it would take a crew of 2 or 3 people a day to clean up the branches, logs and possible get the water flowing again.

Not sure what the canals behind 800/900/2000 look like.  I thought they were clear the one time I was over that way, but it's been a while.

Last time we saw the canal behind 100/200/300 it was pretty overgrown and had a lot of discarded floating pumpkins in it.