• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Antennas are being installed and wired. They are different from most, antennas on top and bottom.

Here's a picture of the WiFi equipment being installed on site 1422 a few minutes ago. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They've had Wi Fi in the cabins and at the Meadow for a long time! So yup, they have Wi Fi and met their Monday deadline!

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, YENSIDCAMPER said:

So if I take a router and one CAT5 cable, will the modem come with the COAX?  In other words what cabling should I bring to hook up to the cable modem and how will that work if I am using the cable TV, do they supply a splitter?

Last time I used one it came with all cables and a splitter.

So if I take a router and one CAT5 cable, will the modem come with the COAX?  In other words what cabling should I bring to hook up to the cable modem and how will that work if I am using the cable TV, do they supply a splitter?

They supply a splitter, 2 long and one very short coaxial cables and a cat5. I keep a router in the trailer with a splitter hooked up and the cables all running down into a cabinet below the tv, that way all I have that way all I have to do is connect and plug in their modem and it's up and running. I use one of the long cables to connect from the pole to the trailer and the rest stay in the bag. If you have a piece of coax that is the size you'll need to run from the splitter to where you want the modem and router I would bring it so that you don't have to deal with their long one wrapped up or in the way.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, AnnaA2101 said:

I was told this morning by the CM when I returned the internet kit that Monday is the day.  She said that WIFI will be available at each site and they will no longer have to give out the kits.  

Thanks for the update!  Now we'll have to wait and see if Monday really IS the day.

If anyone gets any more info - particularly about whether modem kits will still be available - please let us know.

I don't see why they would get rid of the modem kits at this time. The infrastructure is already in place and they would allow the Fort to accommodate those folks that don't have wireless devices. I don't however expect Disney to repair or replace units as they fail and at some point expect them to decide to kill off the cable modems entirely. It will be interesting to see what they actually do. 

17 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Do the other resorts still offer in room wired connections? If so I would assume the Fort would continue to have the modems.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I didn't notice one while at Pop or GF last week. It may have been there but I didn't have a need so didn't scour the room for it. 

I don't see why they would get rid of the modem kits at this time. The infrastructure is already in place and they would allow the Fort to accommodate those folks that don't have wireless devices. I don't however expect Disney to repair or replace units as they fail and at some point expect them to decide to kill off the cable modems entirely. It will be interesting to see what they actually do. 

In this day and age, the number of folks who don't have wireless devices is pretty slim to none. That's not to say there aren't folks who, by policy, can't use wireless (which, if I recall is bhall's issue) - but even those cases are pretty slim.

Truthfully (and sorry, bhall's!), I don't think it makes sense to continue the modems- they're work and cost money (even if it's just dedicating storage and training people on how to give them out). The big question is if they stop entirely or let them go by the wayside based on damage like you indicated.

Yeah, the policy stinks for me, but I handle all of the financial data for the bank day to day and send it to the fed.  In a nutshell as explained to me, that's why I can't be wireless.  The other issue is I'm the only one who is assigned to the job.  My supervisor (who is not going to be my supervisor in a month, I'm going to have to train my new supervisor) is the only other person that can do it (and he doesn't know how to do it all as he had to call me to ask questions the last time he did it on April 16, 2015) and the problem with that is he's at the bank 8-5 am and it's almost impossible for him to work the 4-6 hours in the evening to the early morning hours.  So I have to keep my travel limited to places with RJ-45 jacks.

21 minutes ago, bhall said:

Yeah, the policy stinks for me, but I handle all of the financial data for the bank day to day and send it to the fed.  In a nutshell as explained to me, that's why I can't be wireless.  The other issue is I'm the only one who is assigned to the job.  My supervisor (who is not going to be my supervisor in a month, I'm going to have to train my new supervisor) is the only other person that can do it (and he doesn't know how to do it all as he had to call me to ask questions the last time he did it on April 16, 2015) and the problem with that is he's at the bank 8-5 am and it's almost impossible for him to work the 4-6 hours in the evening to the early morning hours.  So I have to keep my travel limited to places with RJ-45 jacks.

It will be interesting to see if they deactivate the cable wiring or if they leave it in place and people could bring their own modem. I cant remember if we ever figured out if a private modem worked or not. 

1 hour ago, bhall said:

I'm frankly amazed you are allowed to use any external network wired or otherwise with sensitive data, being as I am in the same industry as you are...

I might be misunderstanding your situation as well...  Have you ask your tech people about the possibility of using a virtual computing solution, where none of their data ever actually has to pass out onto a machine/network of yours at all?  

Virtual Computers have been a godsend for me anyway.  I don't have to lug a corporate computer around, or worry about a personal device being lost or stolen.  If my connection drops when I'm remote my virtual computer sits right there waiting for me to reconnect, and I can pick up right where I left off...

No judgements here, just saying there is some new tek out there that might let you get out camping more!  :)

1 hour ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

It will be interesting to see if they deactivate the cable wiring or if they leave it in place and people could bring their own modem. I cant remember if we ever figured out if a private modem worked or not. 

They need to leave the signal on the cable system for the cabins since they have individual modems. 

2 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

They need to leave the signal on the cable system for the cabins since they have individual modems. 

Good point. And the same cable lines are carrying the tv signals so it will probably still have online connectivity there. So now it just comes down to if they will keep some modems or if a personal modem will do the job. 

I'm frankly amazed you are allowed to use any external network wired or otherwise with sensitive data, being as I am in the same industry as you are...

I might be misunderstanding your situation as well...  Have you ask your tech people about the possibility of using a virtual computing solution, where none of their data ever actually has to pass out onto a machine/network of yours at all?  

Virtual Computers have been a godsend for me anyway.  I don't have to lug a corporate computer around, or worry about a personal device being lost or stolen.  If my connection drops when I'm remote my virtual computer sits right there waiting for me to reconnect, and I can pick up right where I left off...

No judgements here, just saying there is some new tek out there that might let you get out camping more!  :)

That's a good point. Over a VPN, remotely connect to a machine that is within the network that has the accesses required.

7 hours ago, WalkerFiend said:

I am supplied an encrypted laptop where the wireless adapter has been disabled through the bios.  I of course cannot access the bios as I'm not privy to the password :).  Anyway, after 5 minutes of booting up I can then connect to the VPN.  Once connected to the VPN, then all the applications installed locally on my machine work, like iTera, Netsupport, Outlook, etc.  They hired a new VP who was supposedly a "God" on the AS/400 system and I will be assigned to him now in the bank hierarchy.  I've been informed by my current and soon to be old supervisor that changes are coming to "make my job easier" and no that doesn't include wireless :). 

After 6 years there I make more money at night from the bank then my regular 9-5 job.   I have a pessimistic suspicion of what is going to happen is they will be automating processes and eliminating other processes knocking the time it takes from 4-6 hours down to 1-2 hours a night.  Therefore reducing my pay drastically.  My wife works for the bank as well (16 years) and she was informed in January that by June her job may be eliminated as well.  So, we will see.  I might be worrying about the need for a modem unnecessarily if these 2 things with the bank happen :) 

8 hours ago, bhall said:

I am supplied an encrypted laptop where the wireless adapter has been disabled through the bios.  I of course cannot access the bios as I'm not privy to the password :).  Anyway, after 5 minutes of booting up I can then connect to the VPN.  Once connected to the VPN, then all the applications installed locally on my machine work, like iTera, Netsupport, Outlook, etc.  They hired a new VP who was supposedly a "God" on the AS/400 system and I will be assigned to him now in the bank hierarchy.  I've been informed by my current and soon to be old supervisor that changes are coming to "make my job easier" and no that doesn't include wireless :). 

After 6 years there I make more money at night from the bank then my regular 9-5 job.   I have a pessimistic suspicion of what is going to happen is they will be automating processes and eliminating other processes knocking the time it takes from 4-6 hours down to 1-2 hours a night.  Therefore reducing my pay drastically.  My wife works for the bank as well (16 years) and she was informed in January that by June her job may be eliminated as well.  So, we will see.  I might be worrying about the need for a modem unnecessarily if these 2 things with the bank happen :) 

I remember having my encrypted corporate laptop.  Between that, their internal spyware, and antivirus... It all made a fairly beefy laptop into a complete dog.  Now with VDI/VPN I can use my wife's Mac, or my iPad. I hope you are wrong about your job, but, most companies will relentlessly work to reduce costs...  It's just the nature of the beast.  I hope it works out.

I've been haunting this thread for months now because we'll be back at the Fort in June.  ( YAY!) Here's hoping for a happy WiFi Monday, and, options for those of us not able to cut the cord!  :)

1 hour ago, WalkerFiend said:

I remember having my encrypted corporate laptop.  Between that, their internal spyware, and antivirus... It all made a fairly beefy laptop into a complete dog.  Now with VDI/VPN I can use my wife's Mac, or my iPad. I hope you are wrong about your job, but, most companies will relentlessly work to reduce costs...  It's just the nature of the beast.  I hope it works out.

I've been haunting this thread for months now because we'll be back at the Fort in June.  ( YAY!) Here's hoping for a happy WiFi Monday, and, options for those of us not able to cut the cord!  :)

One thing to keep in mind about using your wife's mac or your iPad and that is once you use it for work you have given full authority to your employer to legally access that machine and allow them to decide to do whatever they want with the data on it. People have had their contacts files erased on the basis that they might use them with a competitor even though the were strictly person contacts. I also know of a number of companies that will force employees using their personal machines to still install corporate spyware, etc meaning they can look in on your personal habits too. It's best to keep work and personal usage separate and let your employer provide the equipment used for work. This way there is no question about who owns what pieces of data on a machine when the time comes to separate (no matter the reason).  

I worked for the company that made those big and small mainframes and worked from home using my WiFi network to the company VPN between 1999 and retirement in 2010. I wasn't the only one working from home or wirelessly via the company VPN. I was accessing financial institution systems, including the Fed, remotely from open networks for years in order to support and debug our OS software so the argument of no wireless access doesn't hold a lot of water. All I can say is I've seen and awful lot of confidential information in system dumps and traces that all flowed over my wireless network.

23 hours ago, keith_h said:

One thing to keep in mind about using your wife's mac or your iPad and that is once you use it for work you have given full authority to your employer to legally access that machine and allow them to decide to do whatever they want with the data on it. People have had their contacts files erased on the basis that they might use them with a competitor even though the were strictly person contacts. I also know of a number of companies that will force employees using their personal machines to still install corporate spyware, etc meaning they can look in on your personal habits too. It's best to keep work and personal usage separate and let your employer provide the equipment used for work. This way there is no question about who owns what pieces of data on a machine when the time comes to separate (no matter the reason).  

I worked for the company that made those big and small mainframes and worked from home using my WiFi network to the company VPN between 1999 and retirement in 2010. I wasn't the only one working from home or wirelessly via the company VPN. I was accessing financial institution systems, including the Fed, remotely from open networks for years in order to support and debug our OS software so the argument of no wireless access doesn't hold a lot of water. All I can say is I've seen and awful lot of confidential information in system dumps and traces that all flowed over my wireless network.

Not all BYOD setups are equal. 

None of my employers information or other property ever resides on my (or wife's) PC.

True, on my phone or IPad their app allows them to remotely wipe anybody their data that the app might have within their "Sandbox", which does not extent to my own personal data  

Your Experiencre and company policies may vary.

Do we have WiFi yet?  It's Monday!  :)