21 minutes ago, WalkerFiend said:

Not all BYOD setups are equal. 

None of my employers information or other property ever resides on my (or wife's) PC.

True, on my phone or IPad their app allows them to remotely wipe anybody their data that the app might have within their "Sandbox", which does not extent to my own personal data  

Your Experiencre and company policies may vary.

Do we have WiFi yet?  It's Monday!  :)

They've had Wi Fi in the cabins and at the Meadow for a long time! So yup, they have Wi Fi and met their Monday deadline! :lol:

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Antennas are being installed and wired. They are different from most, antennas on top and bottom.

Here's a picture of the WiFi equipment being installed on site 1422 a few minutes ago. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They've had Wi Fi in the cabins and at the Meadow for a long time! So yup, they have Wi Fi and met their Monday deadline!

Posted Images

1 hour ago, WalkerFiend said:

Not all BYOD setups are equal. 

None of my employers information or other property ever resides on my (or wife's) PC.

True, on my phone or IPad their app allows them to remotely wipe anybody their data that the app might have within their "Sandbox", which does not extent to my own personal data  

Your Experiencre and company policies may vary.

Do we have WiFi yet?  It's Monday!  :)

The thing is they have the legal right to access or wipe things outside of their sandbox if they decide to. This is settled case law that favors the employer. My take is why take the risk? Let the employer provide the equipment and it never becomes an issue. Plus why should the employee subsidize business costs for their employer? There are plenty of tax credits to do that. 

Back to the subject. Yes, what about the WiFi status?

27 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Someone posted on Facebook that they saw on another site that the modems went dead on the 100-200 loops. No word otherwise. 

It doesn't make sense to stop cable broadband since it's already in place and they have the cable modems. There are plenty of people that have older laptops and pc's that don't have Wi-Fi.

Like others have said, I can see them not replacing broken modems, and then in the future charging a rental fee to the people that really need a wired connection.

But we've seen Disney do a lot of things that don't seem to make sense.

7 minutes ago, Travisma said:

It doesn't make sense to stop cable broadband since it's already in place and they have the cable modems. There are plenty of people that have older laptops and pc's that don't have Wi-Fi.

Like others have said, I can see them not replacing broken modems, and then in the future charging a rental fee to the people that really need a wired connection.

But we've seen Disney do a lot of things that don't seem to make sense.

The info is from the site which shall not be named so I don't completely trust it anyway. I wonder more if there wifi and wired interfered with each other. 

There are plenty of people that have older laptops and pc's that don't have Wi-Fi.

I actually believe the opposite- that there are relatively few people who don't have wifi or can't use it. If you don't have it, a $20 USB fixes that up.

I see no reason to keep it (again, sorry bhall!). It's an expense that is easily cut with few complaints.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

The coax for TV is in place, they have to keep that functional anyway.

I stopped doing CATV work way before the dawn of broadband internet services, but I would think that it wouldn't be much more $ if any to keep the broadband going, though I could be mistaken.

I'm more thinking the storage space of the modems, tracking what's lended out, training employees on lending them out, and the support calls that might or might not come (including training for that).

Given that a vast majority of people can use wifi- why keep it around for the few that can't?

I kinda hope they keep the Modems as an option of those few that can't use Wireless, but I have to agree with those that say they'll be eliminated either all at once, or fairly soon.  It's just safer to assume this will happen sooner than later (IMHO.)

Users (like bhall) *might* be able to use a device such as this one I found on Amazon:  Check out/search for  NETGEAR Universal N300 Wi-Fi to Ethernet Adapter, or similar device.   I've never used one, but it seems like it might work.

36 minutes ago, WalkerFiend said:

I kinda hope they keep the Modems as an option of those few that can't use Wireless, but I have to agree with those that say they'll be eliminated either all at once, or fairly soon.  It's just safer to assume this will happen sooner than later (IMHO.)

Users (like bhall) *might* be able to use a device such as this one I found on Amazon:  Check out/search for  NETGEAR Universal N300 Wi-Fi to Ethernet Adapter, or similar device.   I've never used one, but it seems like it might work.

I have not used that device but I have the Netgear N300 Extender both at my house and at my day job.  It has 4 network jacks in the back of it.  The laptop will work with either of those and connect through the VPN.  I tried that on a Friday night at the day job (auction building) and on Monday morning I received a call from my supervisor telling me that IT wanted to know if I was somehow using wireless.  I said, I was plugged in to a network jack the whole time :)  I did not dare ask how they knew and I did not lie with my statement either :)  I just didn't answer the question directly

He reminded me that subverting the wireless policy could lead to disciplinary action and asked me to not try to find a work around again.  So, I've been a good boy since then and have kept connected to a true wired connection.  But yeah, that will probably work if I choose to risk it again.

I have not used that device but I have the Netgear N300 Extender both at my house and at my day job.  It has 4 network jacks in the back of it.  The laptop will work with either of those and connect through the VPN.  I tried that on a Friday night at the day job (auction building) and on Monday morning I received a call from my supervisor telling me that IT wanted to know if I was somehow using wireless.  I said, I was plugged in to a network jack the whole time :)  I did not dare ask how they knew and I did not lie with my statement either :)  I just didn't answer the question directly

He reminded me that subverting the wireless policy could lead to disciplinary action and asked me to not try to find a work around again.  So, I've been a good boy since then and have kept connected to a true wired connection.  But yeah, that will probably work if I choose to risk it again.

Wow- that's scary impressive that they monitor that closely.

Have you thought about leaving the laptop at work and using remote access, that way all that is being transmitted over wifi is your "terminal" data, not any of the bank's financials which go from your work laptop over the banks VPN to the Feds. I've been very happy with Splashtop which allows me to log into remote Macs and PCs from my Mac or even iPad. I'm pretty sure they allow you to encrypt the Splashtop traffic, too.

15 hours ago, WalkerFiend said:

I use one of these in my trailer and have had good results.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Travel-Router-Extender-Wireless/dp/B00HQ883T4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1458652443&sr=1-1&keywords=netgear+travel+router

It will bridge wired to wireless or wireless to wired networks. Sometimes you do need to use a wired connection from your personal device to the router to be able to set up the facility network but it is only once or when the login authorization expires. I like it because I can configure all of our devices to look for our router and only have to setup the facility WiFi once.  However it won't get bhall past his problem unless there is a hardwired network it could attach to. 

4.78 down, .98 up.

Not great, but I've seen a lot worse. Not trying to work, just streaming some tunes and yacking the yack. It does nicely.

For campground wifi, that's pretty quick. The upload speeds are less than I'd expect, but not unheard of. Uploading photos to Facebook won't be the fastest...