But to real NYC natives there is no New York outside of the 5 boroughs!

That is true.  

When I was in high school we took a school trip to NYC and stayed with host families in Port Jefferson, on Long Island.  The mother asked us questions about where exactly we were from (a small town on Lake Erie an hour west of Buffalo), and she couldn't believe that was part of New York.  I really think she believed we were actually Canadian.  

When I moved to Florida from Arlington, VA, which as most of you know is right across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C.,  I worked with a lady who thought I was from Washington State.  Had never heard of D.C.

And my Dad grew up in Lakewood, NJ he did not have the Joisey accent either.  But he spoke German until he started school so his accent had a German flavor.

I've spent much of my life having people tell me "you don't sound like you're from New York".

States are big, diverse places.

Same here except with a Louisiana accent.  I can't tell you how many times I've been told I don't have an accent or asked if I live in New Orleans.

Tell me about it, or Long Island natives that say the "City" and expect you to know what they are talking about.  NYC isn't the only city you know.  And why do they say "stand online" its a line you stand in it!

Sorry I once dated a girl from Long Island and that drove me nuts.

WBI

When I moved to Florida from Arlington, VA, which as most of you know is right across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C.,  I worked with a lady who thought I was from Washington State.  Had never heard of D.C.

And my Dad grew up in Lakewood, NJ he did not have the Joisey accent either.  But he spoke German until he started school so his accent had a German flavor.

Lol, wut?  How can anybody living in this country have never heard of DC?  That's literally the craziest thing I've read in a while.

I've spent much of my life having people tell me "you don't sound like you're from New York".

States are big, diverse places.

I've spent much of my life having people ask "where on earth are you from?"  

Apparently no one has ever heard a hillbilly before.

My favorite was when I was at Virginia Tech, which is like 95% NoVa/DC/MD people.

them: where are you from?

me: Southwest Virginia

them: but this is Southwest Virginia

me: keep driving 5 hours southwest of here and you'll still be in VA!

When you say that, please say North Jersey, because yo's and hair gel is up there or across the river in Philly. Us southern Jerseyites don't talk anywhere like that. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a Cherry Hill, NJ native, agree 100% However, I do align with the Philly sports team (Go Flyers - yes I know they stink).  I also detest NYC sports team.  That defines South Jersey, along with the nasal accent.  Working at Disney, my wife has had people ask her if she is from South Jersey, before seeing her name tag that says Merchantville.

The last Halloween party is November 1st, the hallowween decorations come down after the party. The night of November 2nd and 3rd the Christmas decorations go up in time for the first Mickey's Very Merry early in November. This is MK only.

They're pretty much right on schedule this year too. Last Halloween party Nov 1, MK completely decked out for Christmas Nov 3. Magic! :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

When you say that, please say North Jersey, because yo's and hair gel is up there or across the river in Philly. Us southern Jerseyites don't talk anywhere like that. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You tell 'me Norm!

Aw, I was only joking around.

I, also, have been told all my adult life that I don't sound like I'm from Joisey.

And, I also don't know what Exit I'm from, so don't ask.

I still cringe at the thought of those awful kids they had on that show Jersey Shore.

I think only one of them was from New Jersey.

TCD

As a Cherry Hill, NJ native, agree 100% However, I do align with the Philly sports team (Go Flyers - yes I know they stink).  I also detest NYC sports team.  That defines South Jersey, along with the nasal accent.  Working at Disney, my wife has had people ask her if she is from South Jersey, before seeing her name tag that says Merchantville.

I work in Cherry Hill and the only Jersey team are the Devils which are transplanted from Colorado and they are part of the New York syndicate in my book. My wife is originally from Pennsauken on Maple Ave and Church Rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay... late to the game on this, but what is "Jersey Week"? Is this why we have ran into so many folks from Jersey?

Every year, New Jersey has some kind of teacher's convention that results in the schools being closed for part or all of a week in either late October or early November.

Since it's starting to get cold and gloomy in New Jersey around this time of year, they all pack up and go to WDW.

And we call that Jersey Week.

Yo.

TCD

Every year, New Jersey has some kind of teacher's convention that results in the schools being closed for part or all of a week in either late October or early November.

Since it's starting to get cold and gloomy in New Jersey around this time of year, they all pack up and go to WDW.

And we call that Jersey Week.

Yo.

TCD

Ahhh... gotcha ;)

Okay... late to the game on this, but what is "Jersey Week"? Is this why we have ran into so many folks from Jersey?

Our school is closed on Election Day (schools are used as polling places) and then teachers convention is Thursday/Friday so no school again. So everyone pulls their kids Monday/Wednesday and vacations.

I work in Cherry Hill and the only Jersey team are the Devils which are transplanted from Colorado and they are part of the New York syndicate in my book. My wife is originally from Pennsauken on Maple Ave and Church Rd. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife grew up about a block from Maple and Church road, in Merchantville.  I include the Devils as a New York team. The real Jersey Devils were an East Coast Hockey League team that used to play in the Cherry Hill Arena.  

• 1 month later...

Well, I gotta tell you, I've been to the five boroughs a dozen times or more and had a great time, but this past September, my wife and I got to travel through Gettysburg, Niagara Falls and Cooperstown on our way to Maine.  So I got a taste of Western Pennsylvania and upstate New York.  I thought the country was beautiful and the people were fantastic.  We Southerners have the reputation for hospitality, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find nicer people than the ones we met on our trip!