Do I need to cover my trailer while stored in Orlando?

Hello Fort Fiends!

I am hoping to solicit your opinions on covered versus uncovered storage for our 30 foot trailer.

A little background - we've been storing and covering our trailer for the past 4 years in Orlando between trips to the Fort (2 weeks in Feb and 2 weeks in Aug!), but covering the trailer is such a herculean effort each time we pick up and drop off. It would be nice if we could avoid it, but I don't want to shorten the life of our trailer. 

We've just gotten a new trailer and are debating not covering it at all, or if covering it is really the way to go, then looking into an indoor storage place. We've heard the FLA sun is tough on the trailers and are always advised to cover it by the dealers we purchased from but we also see uncovered trailers stored everywhere. I'm just not sure if really needs to be covered.

So, does anyone have experience they can share on covering/storing indoors/not covering their trailer in Orlando? I'm specifically looking to understand if covering it really does extend the life of the trailer and ultimately if it is worth the effort each and every trip, or the added expense of storing inside.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Jason

You are going to get mixed feedback on this subject. 

While the idea of covering appears good on the surface it can actually create more issues than you are trying to prevent.  The biggest issues are the moisture that some covers will allow which can lead to mold and rubbing of the cover on the RV.  The second one is the bigger concern because when the wind blows the cover will "flap" in the breeze depsite how well you think you have it secured.  This constant rubbing can cause issues with the roof and the side gel coat. 

If you have access to outdoor cover (barn style) that would work well and is less expensive than indoor storage.  Ultimately indoor storage is ideal, but can be very costly per month.  remeber there are many full time RV's out there and they do not cover them.  The roofs and sides are meant to take the sun as long as you do some routine maintenance (cleaning the roof and waxing the sides) from time to time.

Good luck in your decision.

We will be storing our rv for the winter under a hanger at a storage place in Davenport called Mini Storage. Not sure if they have any available spots. I have read that Cube storage facilities have under hanger storage as well. Not as expensive as indoor storage. You don't have to worry about covering it up if it's under the hanger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk