Hello, Fiends!  I could really use some advice from folks who've actually experienced the transition from TT to 5er, with family members. 

We are in the market for a new camper (Doesn't have to be NEW new, but honestly, who doesn't love new camper smell?) and are trying to sort out if we should go up to a 5er with this purchase.  We have tried to educate ourselves as to towing capacity/payload for our tow vehicle (2003 F250 diesel 4x4 with 8' bed) and are aware we have to look at the super lite lines in fifth wheel RVs.  This limits our choice a good bit but there are still a bunch of choices out there. 

We looked hard this weekend (in the rain!) at the FR Flagstaff Classic Super Lite and the FR Sandpiper Select.  Both nice, with a bunkhouse option that would be comfortable with two teenagers, and under our weight limit by a good bit.  Keystone has a model we like, with a more crowded bunch arrangement, but workable, also within our weight limits.  We were hoping for a clear difference in "feel" between manufacturers but didn't notice anything particular.

Our previous unit was a 2011 Coachman Catalina 32BHDS.  That puppy was huge (40' total after Hubby finished all the add-ons) but we got used to maneuvering it and only wrecked it once.  :)  We are all used to having our space while camping so going into a "small" fifth wheel isn't going to work. 

So, finally, I'll come to the point.  Is it worth the extra money going into a fifth wheel unit?  Hubby and Son say of course it is!  Son wants to experience a fifth wheel.  Hubby says it will tow easier.  I am thinking we should stick with travel trailers and essentially just purchase a newer version of what we had, saving $10k easily.  We have the hitches, sway bars, etc. for a TT.  We'd have to buy everything for a fifth wheel. 

What do y'all think?  I promise I am not asking for ammunition against Hubby. (It's his money we're spending so really, whatever he wants goes.)  I just want to know if the fifth wheel experience is really All That. 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice!

I have never personally towed a 5er though have towed a gooseneck horse trailer. Personally I'm used to towing boat trailers so a travel trailer is more in my comfort level. That being said if I found a fifth wheel with the perfect floor plan and price haha, I'd go with it.

One of the reasons we stuck with a tt was that we put the golf cart in the bed of the truck a lot. In a fifth wheel we would have had to go with a toy hauler and couldn't find one that met all the right requirements, price being a big one. So take into mind if or what you normally carry in the bed of the truck while camping and where you would put it in a fifth wheel.

Ah the joys of rv shopping. Look and see if there will be any large rv shows in your area they can be overwhelming but also good places to see pretty much all that's out there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I think it comes down to towing and money. Your truck seems like it will fit fine with both. I personally think you have way more choices in floor plans for everyone's space in a TT. A 5er to me always seemed like it catered to a couple who wanted a good size bedroom, a living room and a nice kitchen dining section. If you have more than 2 people you will always be braking the living room and dining room down for sleeping quarters. A TT can give you more options such as a bunkhouse. I'm sure there are 5er bunkhouses but with a heafty price. I also like my truck bed being a truck bed. I guess a lighter weight detachable hitch will also put you back some and I hear you can't remove it yourself

Other then towing down the road, I regret having our current 5er.  I liked our TT better then this one.  Also, had to upgrade to a new truck to handle the "light weight" 5er.  And that wasn't for towing power either...  Which is why I went with a gasser over diesel.  Payload capacity will be your biggest enemy looking for a 5er.  You need to find out what the payload capacity of your truck is.  There should be a sticker on the driver's door opening telling you payload/cargo carrying capacity.  With your's being a 2003 plus being a diesel, I expect it to be low.  Probably less then 2100 lbs.

With that being said though, we have the perfect 5er picked out and it gvwr fits into our truck's safety margins for capacities.  Just need the extra $$$$$ to make it happen.

I have never personally towed a 5er though have towed a gooseneck horse trailer. Personally I'm used to towing boat trailers so a travel trailer is more in my comfort level. That being said if I found a fifth wheel with the perfect floor plan and price haha, I'd go with it.

One of the reasons we stuck with a tt was that we put the golf cart in the bed of the truck a lot. In a fifth wheel we would have had to go with a toy hauler and couldn't find one that met all the right requirements, price being a big one. So take into mind if or what you normally carry in the bed of the truck while camping and where you would put it in a fifth wheel.

Ah the joys of rv shopping. Look and see if there will be any large rv shows in your area they can be overwhelming but also good places to see pretty much all that's out there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply!  Just as you said, I like having the truck bed to haul around whatever isn't packed in the camper, like maybe, someday, a golf cart!  And we are used to pulling a TT and/or boat trailer so I am really feeling we should stick to what we know.

I know that I am change-adverse by nature however, that's why I appreciate hearing from others.  :)

I think it comes down to towing and money. Your truck seems like it will fit fine with both. I personally think you have way more choices in floor plans for everyone's space in a TT. A 5er to me always seemed like it catered to a couple who wanted a good size bedroom, a living room and a nice kitchen dining section. If you have more than 2 people you will always be braking the living room and dining room down for sleeping quarters. A TT can give you more options such as a bunkhouse. I'm sure there are 5er bunkhouses but with a heafty price. I also like my truck bed being a truck bed. I guess a lighter weight detachable hitch will also put you back some and I hear you can't remove it yourself

That's my understanding also, that the fifth wheel hitch isn't removable or is at least only partially removable.  That doesn't make me happy as we use the truck for lots more than just hauling the camper.  And the bunkhouse 5er's are harder to come by, nevermind the outrageous prices!  The floor plans just don't seem "ideal" the way our older TT was.  Like you described, the 5ers with no bunkhouse sure are nice, but we would always be breaking down or pack up the living room couches.  Not my idea of a good time.

Hubby and Son are just so excited about the "new" factor of the 5er and I hate to spoil their fun.  I am just not sure we wouldn't end up hating what we can manage in our price range given our weight restrictions. 

Thanks for your time!

Other then towing down the road, I regret having our current 5er.  I liked our TT better then this one.  Also, had to upgrade to a new truck to handle the "light weight" 5er.  And that wasn't for towing power either...  Which is why I went with a gasser over diesel.  Payload capacity will be your biggest enemy looking for a 5er.  You need to find out what the payload capacity of your truck is.  There should be a sticker on the driver's door opening telling you payload/cargo carrying capacity.  With your's being a 2003 plus being a diesel, I expect it to be low.  Probably less then 2100 lbs.

With that being said though, we have the perfect 5er picked out and it gvwr fits into our truck's safety margins for capacities.  Just need the extra $$$$$ to make it happen.

Hi, Bob! I am still looking for that tree that grows money, the one my dad used to mutter about all the time.  Sure would make that extra $$$$$ thing easier.  :)

Figuring out our truck's payload was ridiculous.  Ended up calling our dealership to get a Ford-wide service search based on our VIN.  Irritating.  At 2250lbs, we are definitely limited in models we can feasibly consider in a fifth wheel.  This is a serious factor in my thinking we should stick with a travel trailer. 

So, the towing really is so much easier/more comfortable with a fifth wheel?  What is it you don't like about yours?  Did you have difficulty locating a floor plan that met your needs comfortably? 

When people have commented about our camper shopping recently, they look at me like I'm crazy when I say it isn't all that fun.  Is it supposed to be?  To me, it feels like work!  I can feel my brain starting to overheat when I start calculating all the various factors.  :) 

That's my understanding also, that the fifth wheel hitch isn't removable or is at least only partially removable.  That doesn't make me happy as we use the truck for lots more than just hauling the camper.  And the bunkhouse 5er's are harder to come by, nevermind the outrageous prices!  The floor plans just don't seem "ideal" the way our older TT was.  Like you described, the 5ers with no bunkhouse sure are nice, but we would always be breaking down or pack up the living room couches.  Not my idea of a good time.

Hubby and Son are just so excited about the "new" factor of the 5er and I hate to spoil their fun.  I am just not sure we wouldn't end up hating what we can manage in our price range given our weight restrictions. 

Thanks for your time!

Hi, Bob! I am still looking for that tree that grows money, the one my dad used to mutter about all the time.  Sure would make that extra $$$$$ thing easier.  :)

Figuring out our truck's payload was ridiculous.  Ended up calling our dealership to get a Ford-wide service search based on our VIN.  Irritating.  At 2250lbs, we are definitely limited in models we can feasibly consider in a fifth wheel.  This is a serious factor in my thinking we should stick with a travel trailer. 

So, the towing really is so much easier/more comfortable with a fifth wheel?  What is it you don't like about yours?  Did you have difficulty locating a floor plan that met your needs comfortably? 

When people have commented about our camper shopping recently, they look at me like I'm crazy when I say it isn't all that fun.  Is it supposed to be?  To me, it feels like work!  I can feel my brain starting to overheat when I start calculating all the various factors.  :)

Yes, towing down the road is better then my old TT.  However, I cannot back this thing up into my driveway without making an @ss of myself.  The old longer TT was no problem and all of the enclosed car trailers I tow for work is no problem.  The biggest issue is I have a short bed truck.  I have a slider hitch, but when it's slid back to "maneuver" position the hitch of the 5er hits my tailgate as soon as I get the trailer turned a couple of degrees.  I had someone look at my problem and they say Camping World mounted my rails too far back.  I can have them put in the right position, but I will have extra holes in my 1 year old truck.  Not an option.....  So, now I have to be careful how tight of a turn I can make while backing up or I will break the rear window out of my truck with the camper corner.  I have to be careful pulling out of my driveway for the same reason. 

Here is a pic gallery of the 5er I sent to a dealer for a trade-in appraisal

https://picasaweb.google.com/116577746895558026025/2011Springdale253FWRL?authkey=Gv1sRgCI_Fup_Fyr_7kwE#

I really didn't like this one, but my wife was in love with the opposing slides and how big it made the living room.  She kept on saying she wanted this one and a "happy wife....happy life."  I didn't like the bedroom or bathroom and tried telling her she would grow to not like the bathroom either.  Over a year later, it turned out I was right.  If you look at the pictures of the exterior, you will see that there isn't that much of an upward slope from the rear to the front that a lot of 5ers have.  What that means is as soon as I put my foot on the steps to the bedroom, I have to duck, so my head doesn't go into the ceiling.  my wife doesn't have to.  The bathroom is a bit to small for me.  Our old TT was a split bathroom layout. 

There's nothing mechanically wrong with the camper, just really don't like that bedroom and bathroom.  Yes, the living room is nice.....

The dealer I was trying to work with only offered $9k for it.   The dealer we bought it from was only a little better, but there was still at $14k difference from what they fooled us out of a year earlier.

This is the one we have our hearts set on

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=172&ModelID=853#Main

We Won't have to get a different truck to tow this and we've toured 5 different units of this model.  If we wanted to, we could Full Time in this.

We just recently upgraded from a 29' TT bunk to a 40' 5th bunk. 

There are pros and cons to the change, 

Pros:

We have opposing kitchen and recliner slides so this thing is HUGE, We like the ability to retreat into the unit and feel like we have enough space to really relax. 

The bigger unit gave us the option of the 4 door fridge, with 2 growing boys this will be great to have

The interior height, this above all else leads to the larger feel. 

the auto level system (yes you can get them on TT, just not as common)

Towing, it pulls like a champ with out 2500 diesel... Yes i know we are absolutely maxed on payload. 

Outdoor kitchen, (also available on some TT units...)

SPACE< SPACE< SPACE. Did i mention we have plenty of space to keep all the crap, er i mean stuff now without overflowing into the living areas.

Cons: 

first the $45k price tag

its long, really long. I mean LONG we have been able to get it where we want it to go but i have to admit that sometimes I feel like "that guy" you know the one.... The Geeze who needs a rig that big, isnt this supposed to be camping?

We are actually longer than many Large Class A units when hitched. Almost 5' longer then my parents holiday rambler. 

Needs 2 AC units to cool, more to maintain / repair

As far as hitches, we went with the Anderson ultimate aluminum. Removes and installs in 10 mins, weight is only 40 lbs, even with our short bed we can hit 85+ deg without hitting the cab. 

With all that said, we love it the new camper but still kinda miss the old one........

9sxe2t.jpg

As far as hitches, we went with the Anderson ultimate aluminum. Removes and installs in 10 mins, weight is only 40 lbs, even with our short bed we can hit 85+ deg without hitting the cab. 

Do you have pics on how the Anderson hooks up?  Are chains required?  I've read on other sites where chains are required and I'm confused.  I need something lighter as I have to remove and replace the slider hitch myself.  Right now, it's sitting on the floor of my storage room it hurt real bad to get it there.

I have a fifth wheel and love it. I was a newbie to towing prior to getting it and liked the idea of the simple hitching process. With my pop-up, hitching alone was an exercise in insanity; with the fifth wheel- I can see everything through the rear window.

My truck bed is completely empty and flat when I remove the hitch. No rails; no nothing. It's a B&W Companion hitch. I love this thing- super high quality, American made, and amazing customer service.

The thinking that fifth wheels are for couples isn't entirely true any more. Yes, there are more couples models BUT almost all manufacturers make a model or three designed for those with kids.

And, you can still use your truck bed for some things. Not like a TT, but you just need to keep things shorter than the bedrails. Right this instant, my truck bed has: an 8' ladder, Coleman screen house, Weber Q grill, grill for the fire ring, my 50 amp cable, a balance bike, a bike for my 3 year old, 2 scooters, misc. wood blocks, and 100' of rope (that's tied into a corner tie down). Everything is tied down and secured. You just have to be careful that the cord doesn't have anything to snag on.

With the Anderson the chains are up for debate. We added them to the setup but dont hook them up. Should we get stopped and they demand them then they are available. I dont see a need for them, the hitch is not going to slide out of the attached position on its own, There is no "forgetting to latch it and it drops" problem like the standard hitches have. There is a lock but you have to lift the unit off of the hitch to disconnect so i doubt it could ever really come loose...

We can go almost 90 on flat ground, if the trailer were tilted or the truck in a pot hole we COULD hit the back of the cab. Not as worry free as a slider or autoslide hitch but also not #200 

o5t8ub.jpg
v2sf0p.jpg
2h693ra.jpg

Wow, even more to think about! 

Have to look up the Anderson hitch.  Never heard of that one.  A neighbor recommended the B&W hitch but doesn't actually use one.  That seemed a bit strange to me. 

Looking at clearances on some of the 5er's when hooked up scares me some.  Looks really tight.  And I am a big ole chicken when it comes to towing.

Today's outing included a Coachman Chapparel X-Lite 31BHS fifth wheel.  This one meets all the requirements of floor plan and weight restrictions but it didn't thrill me or my son.  Actually felt a little flimsy.  I assume that due to the X-Lite construction.  ??

Are there manufacturers/brands I should cross off the Look List?  Since Coachman/FR is what we had, it's what I know the most about (not so much at all). 

Again, thanks y'all!

2nd here for BW Companion. I bought a truck with a bw turnover installed already so I bought the companion to go with. I sold said truck, but liked the setup so much I installed a bw turnover into the new truck. 5th wheel camping will change your perception on towing completely. I would have no issues towing from PA to WDW straight through, all because of how the truck and trailer dont fight each other. Good luck, and have fun on your search.

With the Anderson the chains are up for debate. We added them to the setup but dont hook them up. Should we get stopped and they demand them then they are available. I dont see a need for them, the hitch is not going to slide out of the attached position on its own, There is no "forgetting to latch it and it drops" problem like the standard hitches have. There is a lock but you have to lift the unit off of the hitch to disconnect so i doubt it could ever really come loose...

We can go almost 90 on flat ground, if the trailer were tilted or the truck in a pot hole we COULD hit the back of the cab. Not as worry free as a slider or autoslide hitch but also not #200 

o5t8ub.jpg

v2sf0p.jpg

2h693ra.jpg

That pic shows one of the best reasons to get a long bed.

So it looks like the Anderson requires a special adapter to be hooked up to the hitch of the 5er?  What is that black cable coming down over the chain and to the lower right in that pic?  A pin release?

yes there is a block that hooks to the kingpin, It has a slide release that locks the adapter block to the ball at the top of the anderson hitch. 

As for the longbed... Wish i had one.  We bought this truck new off of the dealer lot for a steal, It was priced so low that I took the shortbed just to get the Diesel option. 

If i could just buy the truck I really wanted I would go longbed SRW 3500 Diesel. This one was on the lot for 13 months so I was able to get it almost 20k lower then sticker... Traded in an 11  month old 1500 hemi on it, even with the massive hit on the trade I still did Ok so wife allowed it.....

yes there is a block that hooks to the kingpin, It has a slide release that locks the adapter block to the ball at the top of the anderson hitch. 

As for the longbed... Wish i had one.  We bought this truck new off of the dealer lot for a steal, It was priced so low that I took the shortbed just to get the Diesel option. 

If i could just buy the truck I really wanted I would go longbed SRW 3500 Diesel. This one was on the lot for 13 months so I was able to get it almost 20k lower then sticker... Traded in an 11  month old 1500 hemi on it, even with the massive hit on the trade I still did Ok so wife allowed it.....

Getting a good deal is always helpful. 3500 SRW Rams are hard to find around here. Ford no problem.

Ah, doesn't sound like I will be able to use the Anderson then.  I use my truck to pick up other 5th wheel trailers for work. Ugh...it really sucks putting in and removing my Reese 16k Slider by myself every time. 

Well, I'm coming to the show late, not uncommon for me.....

We are very happy with our 2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 297 RLDS (bumper pull). which comes in at over 30 feet (some say 32 others 35).  We tow with a 2004 F-250 6.0l Diesel, 6 1/2 foot bed.

The deciding factor for us was not wanting to loose the bed of the truck for carrying stuff.  You can never have enough room for more stuff.

What engine do you have in the 2003, 6.0 or 7.3?  The early 6.0 engines had many issues and I hope yours is all sorted out.  Once you start pulling something big you don't want to have problems.  I figure I've dropped about $3-4 K into the engine.

I am a believer in overkill.  I bought the diesel to tow a pop up.....

When it came to the big trailer I studies almost every hitch out there.  I started narrowing in on the Hensly Arrow http://hensleymfg.com/

I ended up with the ProPride hitch, which is an updated design by Jim Hensley http://www.propridehitch.com/      Both of these hitches basically lock the truck and trailer together so that the trailer can not move independently of the truck.  High winds and passing trucks can move the truck/trailer as a unit, but the trailer cant sway back and forth.

The big disappointment with moving up from the pop up to a large TT is the fact that with it we are no longer camping, we are RVing.  We are locked into developed campgrounds with large sites providing W/E/S.

I'll add my two cents.

I grew up tent camping, but sometimes we'd rent a TT until we got our horse trailer with a small living quarters.  My grand parents always had a fifth wheel, and I always loved theirs, so when we started shopping I leaned towards the fifth wheel type.  Another big factor for me was towing, I grew up pulling goose neck trailers and always preferred them to bumper pulls.

Long story short we skipped straight to a fifth wheel.  There was no price difference either when we compared FW apples to TT apples, lol.  We love the fifth wheel, the towing, backing up, floorplan it just works for us....right now.   We have a 2014 Cougar Xlite 26SAB, we bought it brand new but it had been on the lot a long time so we got a great deal.  We found it online and drove up to Ohio to get it because they were $10k cheaper than anything near us.  

Didn't you say you had a diesel 2500? If so you should have plenty of capacity for a good size trailer, I wouldn't limit yourself to the light models.  I went with the xlite because of my previous truck.

Good luck

WBI

And I am a big ole chicken when it comes to towing.

This sounds elitist but it's my personal experience. I had very little towing experience prior to getting a fifth wheel, but hearing travel trailer/bumper-pool owners stories scared me with longer rigs. If you're uncomfortable with towing, that's all the more reason to get a fifth wheel. Towing is a dream. No sway. No suck from big trucks. You just go.

This sounds elitist but it's my personal experience. I had very little towing experience prior to getting a fifth wheel, but hearing travel trailer/bumper-pool owners stories scared me with longer rigs. If you're uncomfortable with towing, that's all the more reason to get a fifth wheel. Towing is a dream. No sway. No suck from big trucks. You just go.

I don't have any problems with my pull behind............ Towing is a dream, no sway, no suck from big trucks, no brake controller, no sway bars, I just go.....