I don't have any problems with my pull behind............ Towing is a dream, no sway, no suck from big trucks, no brake controller, no sway bars, I just go.....

Well Carol,

We also have an Aliner and it is just that - hitch up & go.  No worries about towing.  You just have to select the right size for the trip at hand :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

So this may be a moot point if you've already bought something not sure but I'll put in my .02

We always had TT's with the exception of one time where we had a Forest River drivable; something I will never repeat in the future unless it's a diesel pusher. Anyway, since a new diesel pusher and even used model is out of our price range we always went with TT's. To me they were always easy to drive and pull as long as you had the right tow vehicle. Last year we made the leap into a 5er, one which we hope to keep for a very long time given the hole it has made on my jean pockets...:) but we also had to upgrade the towing vehicle to match it. We could of picked up a great gasser drivable for the price of the two or a nice used diesel pusher, but since I don't have any luck with RV's we decided to stay with a towable camper and get a truck we can use for our everyday vehicle and for business needs. I say no luck because every camper we have owned, whether new or used has been nothing but a headache. Even the 5er has spent over 6 months collectively in the shop since we bought it due to issues out of the factory. Anyway, we looked at many 5ers, one nicer than the other and we ended up with a 44ft Toy Hauler. We felt that it was the most utilitarian out of all the 5ers. We have a genset so we can camp in the middle of nowhere, which we have in the middle of summer and stayed nice and cool, it has a very large patio which allows us to take our golf cart when we go to Disney (haven't been there yet with it) and other campgrounds, we can take our grill which we secure to the tie downs and the eating space is great, we can easily sit 6 people at the table without lowering the back door, which turns into a patio and we've had people there as well. I think we had as much as 10-12 people back there at once one time. It was great (if the weather is nice enough). Still allows the back to be setup as a bed for guests, which 4 people easily sleep in the back due to the bunk style layout of the patio and beds. Towing is a dream and if you have the right vehicle it's even better. On a windy day we can tow it fully loaded (gas tanks, camping necessities and buggy) doing 70mph without issue, anything over 70-71 and it doesn't hit overdrive. The difference between 60mph and 70mph in gas is minimal but time is precious...

Gas mileage, well, let's not go there. I guess if I drove at 50-55max I could possibly achieve 12-13mph but who drives at 50mph on the hwy...not me anyway.

As for parking it, we've only had to back it in a couple of times and it want that bad but then again I had more space than say at the fort for example. No instructions on the sides or in front so it makes it both physically and mentally easier. Everyone tells me that parking a 5er is easier than a TT and while I still have to do a ton of practice I tend to agree. The thing I've personally noticed with the 5er is that your corrections or actions are much slower than when pullin a bumper trailer so you have to account for that and get used to almost jack-knifing the camper, to a point, to get it backed in which is not something you'd ever really want or need to do with a bumper trailer. Getting used to that notion is a tricky feat in itself, at least for me. Also, when I look behind and to the side as I'm backing in there's no doubt this thing is intimidating and also having 3 wheels as supposed to 2 doesn't help either. I could always park my TT's which the longest one was 34ft without a spotter - no way in hell in doing that with the 5er. The tail spin is so wide that I need to have a spotter.

Our tow vehicle is a 2014 ram 3500 dually, so towing capacity is not a problem. I am more concerned with stopping power more than anything - really wished it had disc brakes - I may have to look into this.

The quality and construction is superb and it shows both inside and out, it's 15k lbs dry but by the time were done loading it up we're probably pushing 17.5k-18k lbs (if we pack the buggy).

Is it worth the extra $$$, the wife and I think so. The high ceilings alone is a great reason to switch.

Personally I think it would just depend on which model and brand you like or have experience with as well as the floor plan. Whatever you go with I would say to try and find something that doesn't have the fridge on a slide out, because it won't dissipate the heat as well as it should due to the added absorption of heat from the slide out.

Hope you find this helpful and good luck on whatever you end up getting or already got.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 32' TT we use a Chevy Suburban to easily tow it.  I see you mention two teens in your family.  I'd really look at those bunks. Some run really small and become unusable as teens "grow" into adulthood.  I find most 5th Wheels to really be designed for the "full time" rv folks rather than family. We are ready to move up to a Class A after many years in our TT.  Good luck with your shopping!

• 2 weeks later...

Hijacking for a moment.

Saw this on a pop up site I visit.

http://www.govplanet.com/Recreational+Vehicles

RV/TT at government auction.

Not much at this time, but they had some nice ones on previous sales.

Ooooh, hijack away!  I never would have thought to peek at government auction sites for an RV.  Cool tip!

I have a 32' TT we use a Chevy Suburban to easily tow it.  I see you mention two teens in your family.  I'd really look at those bunks. Some run really small and become unusable as teens "grow" into adulthood.  I find most 5th Wheels to really be designed for the "full time" rv folks rather than family. We are ready to move up to a Class A after many years in our TT.  Good luck with your shopping!

Heya, Hammer!  Still shopping.  Still on the fence about TT versus 5er.  And yes, the bunk space is a serious issue.  My son is already a foot taller than I am and looks like my (I cannot believe she will be 13 in a few weeks!) daughter will be as well.  We'd really like their bunk space to be a separate sort of room as it was in our old unit.  Makes everybody happier at bedtime, since Hubby and I are old and require quiet for sleeping and apparently teenagers don't sleep quietly EVER.  :) 

So, still hunting the perfect unit.  Starting to worry that perfect isn't out there.  We have friends who starting shopping the same time as we did, and they've not only bought already but have been on two short trips with their new unit.  *insert dramatic sigh here*  ;)

Heya, Hammer!  Still shopping.  Still on the fence about TT versus 5er.  And yes, the bunk space is a serious issue.  My son is already a foot taller than I am and looks like my (I cannot believe she will be 13 in a few weeks!) daughter will be as well.  We'd really like their bunk space to be a separate sort of room as it was in our old unit.  Makes everybody happier at bedtime, since Hubby and I are old and require quiet for sleeping and apparently teenagers don't sleep quietly EVER.  :)

So, still hunting the perfect unit.  Starting to worry that perfect isn't out there.  We have friends who starting shopping the same time as we did, and they've not only bought already but have been on two short trips with their new unit.  *insert dramatic sigh here*  ;)

Having just gone through "the search" ourselves earlier this year (trailer and TV), I've come to the conclusion that you won't find perfect.  Each RV has it's pros and cons.  So you make a list and if you can get 70% of your "must-have", I think you've found yourself a winner.   Our camper gave us good sized bunks (which we wanted so our kids wouldn't outgrow), but I wish the counter space in the kitchen and the outside awning were both larger.   Our tub/shower is standard and I wish there was more room, but we can all fit in it so... we're good :)   The bathroom counter/mirror is not my favorite, but I really like the outside door so our kids can use the potty without walking through the RV.

So, nothing will be perfect.  Just find the best fit, buy it... and get out there :)