So a weird thing occurred this afternoon

Nothing unusual for old timers I'm sure but today a maintenance guy was probing around our site and the now empty one next door. Every now and then he would look over at us but went out of his way to stay hidden as much as possible. I finally went over and asked him, "What is working at our site that shouldn't?"

I appears that the light post out in front of our site wasn't working and he was trying to find the cause. He said frequently that a popped circuit breaker was the cause and he was trying to figure out what pedestal the breaker was on. Now I have my box closed and locked to keep honest people honest about my surge protector/miswired outlet detector. He just kept looking at the box and would not ask me to open it to check the breaker. I finally said I could open it up if he wanted to look inside and he reluctantly agreed. He flipped the the 50 amp breaker I had turned off and of course nothing happened. The bright red breaker that effectively said, "Do not touch" and "Lights" I had never touched and was still on. He finally said maybe it was a burned out bulb and would check it only to find it just needed screwing in. Of course I would have done something stupid like try the bulb first but the kid is not me.

I understand Disney wants to hide the nitty gritty from visitors but at some point they need to teach the backstage crew that they need to interact with customers too. I could just see if it were a serious issue nothing getting done and then having a electrical fire or or more likely someone's trailer electrical being fried.

Nothing unusual for old timers I'm sure but today a maintenance guy was probing around our site and the now empty one next door. Every now and then he would look over at us but went out of his way to stay hidden as much as possible. I finally went over and asked him, "What is working at our site that shouldn't?"

I appears that the light post out in front of our site wasn't working and he was trying to find the cause. He said frequently that a popped circuit breaker was the cause and he was trying to figure out what pedestal the breaker was on. Now I have my box closed and locked to keep honest people honest about my surge protector/miswired outlet detector. He just kept looking at the box and would not ask me to open it to check the breaker. I finally said I could open it up if he wanted to look inside and he reluctantly agreed. He flipped the the 50 amp breaker I had turned off and of course nothing happened. The bright red breaker that effectively said, "Do not touch" and "Lights" I had never touched and was still on. He finally said maybe it was a burned out bulb and would check it only to find it just needed screwing in. Of course I would have done something stupid like try the bulb first but the kid is not me.

I understand Disney wants to hide the nitty gritty from visitors but at some point they need to teach the backstage crew that they need to interact with customers too. I could just see if it were a serious issue nothing getting done and then having a electrical fire or or more likely someone's trailer electrical being fried.

He was keeping you distracted with his hide and seek routine while the Disney Fairies were trying to screw in the light bulb.

The only thing that I see weird about this scenario is that you had the box with the breakers locked.  I understand why you did it, but I've never seen anyone do that before, and I'll guess the young CM hadn't either.  It makes sense to me that he would check to see if someone flipped the breaker before removing the globe on the lamp and checking the bulb.  My guess is that there's a schedule for the bulbs to be replaced, and the most likely cause of a light not working is a guest having flipped (or tripped) a breaker.

TCD

Seems pretty weird to me too.  Why was the guy probing to see which pedestal the light was connected to?  Why not just check both pedestals (after he checked the light)?

So you locked the panel cover?  What about an emergency situation where someone needs to shut off your breaker or unplug your rig?  I know that's rare but what if?  I guess that's the point of your surge protector to prevent such emergencies...hmm

WBI

So you locked the panel cover?  What about an emergency situation where someone needs to shut off your breaker or unplug your rig?  I know that's rare but what if?  I guess that's the point of your surge protector to prevent such emergencies...hmm

WBI

Surge protector won't do a thing if there's a fire in the rig and the they need to shut the power off.  

They have these http://tweetys.com/lock-hasp.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAiAvauyBRDwuYf3qNyXmW4SJACX9-fXZylEwhOk85IDslMgAh0_9-L8UfQhyPu136tgNzMm4xoCQlvw_wcB to lock your power cord and surge protector. Just a thought, that way if there is an emergency someone can still get the the breakers. I guess that would only work if your power cord isn't removable.

They have these http://tweetys.com/lock-hasp.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAiAvauyBRDwuYf3qNyXmW4SJACX9-fXZylEwhOk85IDslMgAh0_9-L8UfQhyPu136tgNzMm4xoCQlvw_wcB to lock your power cord and surge protector. Just a thought, that way if there is an emergency someone can still get the the breakers. I guess that would only work if your power cord isn't removable.

I have one of those as it came with my surge protector. They are very cheap plastic and all it takes to break on is to step on it (I know from direct personal experience). As far as my lock goes a cheap pair of bolt cutters would break through in short order if someone really wanted to get into the box (or steal the surge protector for that matter).

The surge protector will protect my trailer from numerous electrical issues and shut down the mains. I've seen so many instances over the years of substandard wiring it's scary. This is even the case in places like WDW where you would not expect it to occur. My point was the guy was so mousy I could just see him walking away from a real problem that  could result in damage to someones trailer.