I know that many of you Fiends, use (and love to use) your crockpot.  I was watching a youtube video the other day from a fulltimer and they mentioned the "Instant Pot" and how much they loved it.  Apparently is a cross between a crockpot and a pressure cooker :)   Amazon has this under their black Friday sale... so I thought I'd share as it looks like a pretty good savings:

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Programmable-Generation/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1448638796&sr=1-1&keywords=instant+pot

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you do a Google search for Black Friday Instant Pots, the Wal-Mart ad that Jason and Big Kahuna reference comes up. But in the ad it says pre Black Friday shop now (lots of stores are selling

Of course not what I thought of when reading instant pot. Lol

You find that kind in the 3000 loop

There is a break in process....I think running a cycle with water or something....so make sure you read the instructions.  

If you are an oatmeal eater, it does an awesome job with steel cut oats.  I have a recipe I came up with that is good.  

Makes great soups.  

Beans and rice.

Chili.

Now I'm hungry.

We aren't huge oatmeal fans, but I know you've said yours is a lot healthier than the instant oats. If you don't mind sharing it, I'm interested.

We aren't huge oatmeal fans, but I know you've said yours is a lot healthier than the instant oats. If you don't mind sharing it, I'm interested.

Here is the recipe for Dave's Oatmeal:

1/2 cup Steel Cut Oats

1/2 cup Regular Oats (not instant...I use the Old Fashioned Quaker)

1 T Quinoa

1 T Chia Seeds

1 T Ground Flax Seeds

3 cups liquid (I use 1 1/2 c water and 1 1/2 c almond milk...you can use regular milk or whatever you like)

Dump all ingredients into the Instant Pot.  I also throw in some cinnamon before cooking.  Secure the lid, and cook on the Porridge setting for 8 minutes.  Wait for the pressure to come down on its own, then serve with whatever you like....brown sugar, maple syrup, walnuts, whatever.  

Also, if you don't have quinoa or chia seeds, I wouldn't buy them unless you like the oatmeal and plan on making again.  They add some texture and additional protein, but I don't think are critical to the taste.  The ground flax is more important I think as it adds some nuttiness to the flavor.  And nuttiness is very important to most Fiends.  

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I bought an Instant Pot on Cyber Monday solely on the recommendations here. It's the 7 in 1  6qt. So far, I like it. But I need some good recipes. I'm still in the stage where I need everything spelled out on using it.  Anyone have some recipes or suggestions for websites? I don't have Kindle - should I pay for the book mentioned above?  I particularly need things that are fairly quick to prepare, hearty and filling for 3 active teenage boys.  So far I've made seasoned chicken thighs, cut up potatoes and beef stew that I found on random websites.  

On a humorous note, my dog doesn't like the quick release and barks at the steam coming out. When he sees me going over to check on it he gets ready to start barking. Although I'm beginning to think it's become his latest game. 

8 minutes ago, Seals said:

I bought an Instant Pot on Cyber Monday solely on the recommendations here. It's the 7 in 1  6qt. So far, I like it. But I need some good recipes. I'm still in the stage where I need everything spelled out on using it.  Anyone have some recipes or suggestions for websites? I don't have Kindle - should I pay for the book mentioned above?  I particularly need things that are fairly quick to prepare, hearty and filling for 3 active teenage boys.  So far I've made seasoned chicken thighs, cut up potatoes and beef stew that I found on random websites.  

On a humorous note, my dog doesn't like the quick release and barks at the steam coming out. When he sees me going over to check on it he gets ready to start barking. Although I'm beginning to think it's become his latest game. 

Is it that much different than a pressure cooker, or is Instant Pot the new name for an old old way of cooking?

We have an electric pressure cooker, a vast improvement over the old fashioned stove top ones where you had to keep adjusting the temp until the regulator constantly rocked slowly.

Did you check for pressure cooker recipes?  I know sometimes if you type in Crock Pot recipes for... you won't find any/many, but change it to slow cooker and watch how many appear.

Thisoldgal.com has a bunch of recipes. I have also been using YouTube quite a bit to figure out some ideas.

The Instant Pot is just an electro pressure cooker with a sauté option so you can do everything in one pot. Bought mine Black Friday and have made a pot roast, chicken and gnocchi soup twice, spaghetti and meatballs twice, and last night a pork tenderloin, of and cooked some frozen chicken breasts in there too. So far I love it. The pot roast took the longest at a 50 min cook time. 

21 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

50 minutes for w pot roast!  

Maybe i should look into this gadget. 

2 something pound roast that I browned on the sauté setting for a couple minutes each side then pull to a bowl. Sauté an onion till it just turns clear. Then add the roast back in with 1 and 1/4 cups beef stock, 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce and seasoning of your choice. I used salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Montreal steak seasoning. Cover and set to seal. Cook on manual for 50 minutes, it will take a few minutes to come up to pressure then the timer starts counting. Once done let it natural pressure release for about 10 minutes then quick release the rest. I then threw in white potatoes and carrots and manual for 5 minutes. And then you are done. Total time the first time with everything ran closer to 1.75 hours but I think I can improve that 1.3 now that I am more certain. 

It also has a slow cooker option Andy at 6 quarts is the same size as my current crock pot so the crock pot will probably go in storage. 

17 hours ago, AuburnJen said:

we have made many pots of ribs with this things since black friday, it is awesome

51 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Yes...it's awesome with ribs!!

My family would love it if I made ribs. What is the recipe for awesome Instant Pot ribs?

18 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

2 something pound roast that I browned on the sauté setting for a couple minutes each side then pull to a bowl. Sauté an onion till it just turns clear. Then add the roast back in with 1 and 1/4 cups beef stock, 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce and seasoning of your choice. I used salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Montreal steak seasoning. Cover and set to seal. Cook on manual for 50 minutes, it will take a few minutes to come up to pressure then the timer starts counting. Once done let it natural pressure release for about 10 minutes then quick release the rest. I then threw in white potatoes and carrots and manual for 5 minutes. And then you are done. Total time the first time with everything ran closer to 1.75 hours but I think I can improve that 1.3 now that I am more certain. 

It also has a slow cooker option Andy at 6 quarts is the same size as my current crock pot so the crock pot will probably go in storage. 

I'm a very minimalist cook. I like to make things that include the words dump / throw and forget so I think I'll be using it a lot. The beef stew I made was very similar to this. And delicious. At first I thought the 6 qt looked small compared to my crock pot but it made a lot of stew. I guess it's deep rather than wide. 

28 minutes ago, Seals said:

I'm a very minimalist cook. I like to make things that include the words dump / throw and forget so I think I'll be using it a lot. The beef stew I made was very similar to this. And delicious. At first I thought the 6 qt looked small compared to my crock pot but it made a lot of stew. I guess it's deep rather than wide. 

yes If I had a bit more liquid and cut up the meat some more it would have been very stew like. I also would need to thicken up the broth. I am working on converting my beef stew recipe for this. 

4 hours ago, Seals said:

My family would love it if I made ribs. What is the recipe for awesome Instant Pot ribs?

Both these people have great recipes.  What I love, is how quick they cook and how tender they are...it's AWESOME!  The second (Flo Lum), she's great... she has a few instant pot youtube videos :)