25 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Both these people have great recipes.  What I love, is how quick they cook and how tender they are...it's AWESOME!  The second (Flo Lum), she's great... she has a few instant pot youtube videos :)  

I have been watching both of them as well. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you do a Google search for Black Friday Instant Pots, the Wal-Mart ad that Jason and Big Kahuna reference comes up. But in the ad it says pre Black Friday shop now (lots of stores are selling

Of course not what I thought of when reading instant pot. Lol

You find that kind in the 3000 loop

I am clearly doing something wrong.  If you are a person who never could program his/her VCR the easy to follow instructions will present serious problems.  While I have used it to make pot roast, I don't think that qualifies as Instant Pot.  There is a clear plastic little retaining washer on the inside of the lid that comes off to easily making the  little metal pressure release valve fall out and rendering the pot useless.  They will send you another one if you request to talk to a supervisor in India.  Cleaning the lid and inner pot meticulously will not remove any cooked onion odors that remain after washing. Finally, the wife and I have decided that it is to big to store easily in the MH and will not be taken on any trips as there are many other ways to cook food that do not require 2 cubic feet of storage space.  But thats just me, your experiences may be different. 

I am clearly doing something wrong.  If you are a person who never could program his/her VCR the easy to follow instructions will present serious problems.  While I have used it to make pot roast, I don't think that qualifies as Instant Pot.  There is a clear plastic little retaining washer on the inside of the lid that comes off to easily making the  little metal pressure release valve fall out and rendering the pot useless.  They will send you another one if you request to talk to a supervisor in India.  Cleaning the lid and inner pot meticulously will not remove any cooked onion odors that remain after washing. Finally, the wife and I have decided that it is to big to store easily in the MH and will not be taken on any trips as there are many other ways to cook food that do not require 2 cubic feet of storage space.  But thats just me, your experiences may be different. 

The silicone gasket does retain some odors, but they don't transfer to foods in my experience. Regardless, you can order a second gasket online that you can use for "non-savory" dishes, and use the stinky gasket when cooking with onion, garlic, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

On 12/16/2016 at 2:18 PM, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Both these people have great recipes.  What I love, is how quick they cook and how tender they are...it's AWESOME!  The second (Flo Lum), she's great... she has a few instant pot youtube videos :)  

YUM ! This look good. I look forward to trying it. Thanks.

On 12/17/2016 at 10:20 PM, DinDavie said:

22 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

The silicone gasket does retain some odors, but they don't transfer to foods in my experience. Regardless, you can order a second gasket online that you can use for "non-savory" dishes, and use the stinky gasket when cooking with onion, garlic, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The first thing I made was seasoned chicken thighs and I still notice that smell when I go to use it, but I made oatmeal on Saturday and there was absolutely no taste of it. I'm wondering if heating lemon juice / water in it will get rid of the smell like it does in the microwave. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've found some good Instant Pot or pressure cooker recipes on Pinterest.

This Mongolian beef is really good. http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-mongolian-beef/

Also made some mini cheesecakes that turned out great. http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-heart-shaped-cheesecake/

I usually just use it for stewing frozen chicken. I did also pin instructions for cooking ground beef in it straight from the freezer. It actually worked and tasted good. Great for people like me who can never remember to thaw things.

9 minutes ago, CJHokie said:

I've found some good Instant Pot or pressure cooker recipes on Pinterest.

This Mongolian beef is really good. http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-mongolian-beef/

Also made some mini cheesecakes that turned out great. http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-heart-shaped-cheesecake/

I usually just use it for stewing frozen chicken. I did also pin instructions for cooking ground beef in it straight from the freezer. It actually worked and tasted good. Great for people like me who can never remember to thaw things.

We have an electric pressure cooker that works great.  Guess since it only does about 5 things it's not a real instant pot.:wacko:

Only drawback to these type of things is they cook real quick, but the cool down/pressure drop time almost feels like it's longer than the cooking time.

2 minutes ago, Travisma said:

We have an electric pressure cooker that works great.  Guess since it only does about 5 things it's not a real instant pot.:wacko:

Only drawback to these type of things is they cook real quick, but the cool down/pressure drop time almost feels like it's longer than the cooking time.

I have yet to use mine for many of the functions, so a pressure cooker would be fine. I think I used the rice function once to test it, but I have a nice Pampered Chef microwave rice cooker that's easier to clean and faster. I use the poultry button and have used soup or stew, so while those are counted as separate functions, they could be done under just manual pressure cooking. I haven't tried the slow cooker function on it. 

I always use the quick release pressure unless the recipe specifies not to so the food keeps cooking, but I think the heating up/coming to full pressure takes a long time. It's been a while since I used a stove top pressure cooker, but my cousin assures me those take longer to heat up.

I think time to come to pressure for the Instant Pot depends on whether you use frozen and also how much liquid. The other day I dumped in two packages of frozen Italian sausages, a can of diced tomatoes, some water and a bag of frozen peppers and onions. The result was delicious, but it took a lot longer to heat up than previous things I've cooked in it.

I continue to love my Instant Pot. Every Saturday I make the DaveInTn oatmeal recipe from earlier in this post and I heat up a portion of it for breakfast for several days during the week. I've also made the ribs which were good but I think I'd tweak the recipe a little next time. My family loves pulled pork and the other Sunday I put in two chunks of Boston Butt with some bbq sauce, started it, dressed for church, went to church, came home and changed back into my relaxing clothes and it was ready to shred for pulled pork sandwiches for lunch. Previously I've made pulled pork in the crockpot where I've cooked it on low for 10+ hours but the timing was never right for Sunday lunch. And I like the option of quick release or letting the pressure come down naturally which still keeps it warm. It works well with our crazy schedule. 

3 minutes ago, Seals said:

I think time to come to pressure for the Instant Pot depends on whether you use frozen and also how much liquid. The other day I dumped in two packages of frozen Italian sausages, a can of diced tomatoes, some water and a bag of frozen peppers and onions. The result was delicious, but it took a lot longer to heat up than previous things I've cooked in it.

I'm sure you are right about that. 

That sounds delicious. Did you use just regular diced tomatoes or Rotel?

17 minutes ago, CJHokie said:

I'm sure you are right about that. 

That sounds delicious. Did you use just regular diced tomatoes or Rotel?

I used regular because that's what I had in the cabinet. But I bet Rotel would be good too. I think I sprinkled some Italian seasoning in there too. 

This is modified from a recipe we found online, but it's a winner and everyone here loves this.

Instant Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal: (serves 2-3)

Ingredients

• 1 cup of steel cut oats
  • 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, plain or vanilla (I use 1 tub vanilla Chobani)
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • One apple, chopped (we like granny smith, unpeeled is fine)
  • 1/4 cup real maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves (optional)
  • 1/4 cup craisins or other dried cranberries

Instructions

1. Put everything in the Instant Pot and stir well.
  2. Put the lid on.
  3. Turn the valve to seal.
  4. Manual cook for 4 minutes.
  5. Let pressure release naturally.
  6. Release any extra pressure.
  7. Stir well and serve.

Let natural release for 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure. Eat, enjoy.

We usually double this; if doubling the recipe go 6 minutes on Manual.

*** as with any oatmeal recipe, do not let your pot insert or bowls sit or the remainders will become an impenetrable, unwashable mass of concrete ***

I made limoncello with the Instant Pot. So far I've made 3 batches- with gain alcohol (Everclear), rum, and vodka.

My preference is vodka, rum, Everclear. My wife's is vodka, Everclear, rum.

We did a tasting of the rum + vodka at a rally and it was a pretty good split of which people preferred.

https://www.copymethat.com/r/mbsIzjp/instant-pot-limoncello/

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Has anyone cooked rice in it?

how did it come out?

does it cook it faster than a regular rice cooker?

We cook brown rice in it, all the time.  I can't really compare the times, as we already had the instant pot when we switched over to brown rice (it's a brown jasmine rice, if that makes a difference).  I can tell you that I'll put a cup of rice in, with a 1.5 cups of water and set it for 22 minutes.  Hope that helps!

29 minutes ago, PureTcrazy...rita said:

I have not done rice. I have done meatloaf, mashed potatoes and asparagus all at one time and it was perfect cb1f872b8f5887e7a9feb5f88d7b2286.jpg

How did you cook the three, all at the same time??!  I didn't know you could do that!  Oh...plus, meatloaf in there?!  Haven't tried that!  Please share! :) 

How did you cook the three, all at the same time??!  I didn't know you could do that!  Oh...plus, meatloaf in there?!  Haven't tried that!  Please share! :) 

Potatoes in pot covered with chicken broth our water. Put the trivet over them. Wrap meatloaf in foil set inn trivet. Wrap asparagus with a bit of butter putt Olive oil, set on meatloaf. High pressure for 30 minutes. Natural release 10 minutes. Take out meatloaf, sauce place under broiler a few minutes. Meanwhile, drain potatoes add butter and cream and mash. Serve! Throw away foil and wash pot! I worried asparagus would be mush, but I guess being in foil on top cooked slower.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, PureTcrazy...rita said:

I have not done rice. I have done meatloaf, mashed potatoes and asparagus all at one time and it was perfect cb1f872b8f5887e7a9feb5f88d7b2286.jpg

I also made caramel flan!

a98f84f7cf93eb12acc13a794ad8748b.jpg

Wow, that looks delicious. And amazing you could cook it all at once.  How big was the meatloaf (how much ground beef)? Also, what kind of potatoes and did you cut them up into smaller pieces?

Can you tell I want to try this!

On 10/2/2017 at 3:52 PM, twiceblessed....nacole said:

One day sale on Amazon today (Prime)... for those of you still looking. $69.99 for the 6 QT.

Ordered one for daughter #3.  It was the 7 in 1 version (they are up to 10).  Used a $25 credit Amazon gave me for poor delivery, so it took it to $48!  It's arriving today.

Funny story, ordered one a few months back for daughter #1 from Kohls.  Waited a couple days then called her to let her know something coming for a very early birthday present.  First thing she tells my wife.. "Guess what I ordered from Amazon, an  InstaPot!"   Well my wife had to tell her about her present that was arriving.  She returned the one from Amazon with no problem and has been using the one we got her.  It was a 9 in 1

My co-worker recently purchased an Instant Pot and has been experimenting with it.

His daughter in law made this soup (in her IP), and he got the recipe from her and made it last night.

He said it's addicting and you'll want to finish the entire pot by yourself.

Instant Pot Creamy Tortellini, Spinach and Chicken Soup--creamy tomato based soup with bites of tender chicken, cheesy tortellini and fresh bright green spinach. This version is made in the electric pressure cooker and is a quick and easy one pot meal. Everyone in my house loves this soup and I love making it for friends too. I've never heard a complaint when I've made this soup!

Instant Pot Creamy Tortellini, Spinach and Chicken Soup

• icon-clock-white.pngPrep Time: 15 minutes
  • icon-clock-white.pngCook Time: 15 minutes (plus time to come to pressure)
  • icon-clock-white.pngTotal Time: 30 minutes
  • icon-cutlery-white.pngYield: 8 servings
  • icon-folder-white.pngCategory: Soup
  • icon-squares-white.pngMethod: Instant Pot

Description

Creamy tomato based soup with bites of tender chicken, cheesy tortellini and fresh bright green spinach. This version is made in the electric pressure cooker and is a quick and easy one pot meal.

This makes plenty of servings. You can easily halve this recipe.

Ingredients

• 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp dried basil
  • 2 Tbsp tomato paste
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 2 (14.5 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes, with juices
  • 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts* (I used half thighs and half breasts)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 4 cups frozen cheese tortellini (or you can use fresh)
  • 3 cups packed spinach (you can also use kale if you prefer)
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup half and half, warmed 

Instructions

1. Turn the Instant Pot on to the saute function, on the highest setting. Heat the oil in the bottom of the pot. Add in the diced onion and stir for a couple of minutes. Add in the garlic and stir until the onions are translucent, another couple of minutes.
  2. Add in the basil, tomato paste, chicken broth, tomatoes, chicken, salt and pepper. Give a quick stir. Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to “sealing.” Press the manual pressure cook button and set the timer to 15 minutes (high pressure). Once the timer beeps let out the pressure by gently moving the valve to “venting.”
  3. Spoon the chicken out and place it on a cutting board. Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and then add it back into the pot. Stir in the tortellini, spinach, Parmesan cheese, and half and half. Turn the IP to saute to heat up the tortellini quickly. Once the tortellini is warmed through ladle the soup into bowls and serve.

Notes

*If you use all chicken breasts you will only need to cook for 10 minutes instead of 15 minutes.

I used my 6 quart Instant Pot for this recipe.

If you’d like the slow cooker version of this recipe go here.

2 hours ago, Seals said:

Wow, that looks delicious. And amazing you could cook it all at once.  How big was the meatloaf (how much ground beef)? Also, what kind of potatoes and did you cut them up into smaller pieces?

Can you tell I want to try this!

Thanks for passing that along!

44 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Ordered one for daughter #3.  It was the 7 in 1 version (they are up to 10).  Used a $25 credit Amazon gave me for poor delivery, so it took it to $48!  It's arriving today.

Funny story, ordered one a few months back for daughter #1 from Kohls.  Waited a couple days then called her to let her know something coming for a very early birthday present.  First thing she tells my wife.. "Guess what I ordered from Amazon, an  InstaPot!"   Well my wife had to tell her about her present that was arriving.  She returned the one from Amazon with no problem and has been using the one we got her.  It was a 9 in 1

Very funny about your daughter... glad you beat her to it ;) :lol:    

Oh...and the $25 credit from Amazon, very nice!!