The key to getting the same site each time (specifically holidays) is

Ok, especially each thanksgiving, I see the same people get the same site each year. We all know that we can request sites but nothing is guaranteed. Do you have to have big gaudy blow up decorations to get what you want? I see the the last site on 1600 always has that for a thanksgiving. The first site on 1800 always has that one also. There are probably at least 8 more. I just want to know the secret

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you think about it, assigning sites is like a huge game of Tetris, with the goal to fill the whole board with no spaces (unassigned site-days). I was never a great programmer, but putting on my bes

Ok, especially each thanksgiving, I see the same people get the same site each year. We all know that we can request sites but nothing is guaranteed. Do you have to have big gaudy blow up decorations

It helps if your last name is Mola.

Ok, especially each thanksgiving, I see the same people get the same site each year. We all know that we can request sites but nothing is guaranteed. Do you have to have big gaudy blow up decorations to get what you want? I see the the last site on 1600 always has that for a thanksgiving. The first site on 1800 always has that one also. There are probably at least 8 more. I just want to know the secret

How did you like the party group in 1300 loop that thought they owned road.

I can't even get a site on one of the many sites on the dog walk between 800 and 900. So I give up on soecific sites. I even drove through and saw a site I wanted and called the desk to tell them it was empty on the 800 on the dog walk. They said it was reserved. Guess what, it's still empty

I can't even get a site on one of the many sites on the dog walk between 800 and 900. So I give up on soecific sites. I even drove through and saw a site I wanted and called the desk to tell them it was empty on the 800 on the dog walk. They said it was reserved. Guess what, it's still empty

They may have it assigned to someone who's reservation overlaps with yours. Not saying they have a good system it's just the way it happens.

It might have something to do with when the reservation starts. We've gotten the same site two years in a row. I suspect it has to do with they fact that we check in on Sunday after many folks check out and long enough before the big holidays that we are in a down period. Based on the number of empty sites I saw in 1300 during the week we stayed it probably would have worked for the first few days of the week if the request was in early enough. In other words there were enough empty sites they could set a couple aside for folks who had a specific site or specific area requests.

There are many guests who get special treatment from the Fort.

You just need to know who to ask.  I don't go often enough, nor is it important enough to me to bother, but there are many guests who get the same sites at the same time each year.

TCD

Our luck getting in the 1500 ran out on our last trip for Halloween when we got the 2000 loop.

We got the same site in 1500 two times, and 2 other times we had different ones.

I would like get to know the "special" person that assigns the sites.

I was wondering this same thing last week!  I don't get how these people get these sites year after year?  I guess the checking in midweek for a really long stay helps, but I'm sure these people must have good connections too.

We didn't get our first or second loop request but I wasn't too worried about it.

I did see the large group that's usually in 2000 setup in 1500 this year, with three refrigerators and a dish washer. 

Then there was another big group setup in the 800 loop with a dedicated party site with lots of tables and games.  I also noticed lots of travel trailers around that loop that were all the same brand, Catalina I think?   A lot of those trailers were taken out and parked in the grass near the hitch-up spot, some were near the overflow lot I guess one person was moving them all out and taking them back.  It was very strange.  I assume they were all rentals?  Or maybe the trailer dealership had a big holiday party at the Fort?

WBI

I looked for your trailer and truck for a couple days but could not find you. I'm incognito without herbie now

We were in the same loop as you. I could see your site from mine but I never saw you outside. We were in 1329. I tried to say hi when I saw you in the settlement area but you didn't hear me. Of course you were driving your cart and I was walking.

There is a post on the other FB page that starting 2017 there will be no more "group" reservations made by one individual or TA allowed at the Fort in loops.

Sounds like it doesn't affect the real group camping site, just loops where groups take over. 

The writer reposted a letter that someone from the Northern Pioneer group had received from Disney.

The letter said they were given a special phone # to call this month to book their 2017 reservations.

2016 reservations are being honored.

There is a post on the other FB page that starting 2017 there will be no more "group" reservations made by one individual or TA allowed at the Fort in loops.

Sounds like it doesn't affect the real group camping site, just loops where groups take over. 

The writer reposted a letter that someone from the Northern Pioneer group had received from Disney.

The letter said they were given a special phone # to call this month to book their 2017 reservations.

I saw that too thats why i started a new topic.... sounds like getting the same sites in 2017 is going to be a little bit harder?!

If you think about it, assigning sites is like a huge game of Tetris, with the goal to fill the whole board with no spaces (unassigned site-days). I was never a great programmer, but putting on my best coding-hat I think the first reservations I'd block out linked reservations with a request. Next, I'd plug in the longest reservations with requests and work my way to the shortest with requests. Then filter in the longest request-free reservations and working toward the shortest. So yeah, in my economy, folks who book long stays and request a certain site would stand a pretty good chance of getting what they want. Also, when someone doesn't like their assigned site and says, "but this really cool site over here is available" the only way they would be given it only displaces assignments without requests. But no one asked me!

Without seeing the letter or understanding the context in which it was sent, it's hard to conclude what type of group reservations this applies to.

My understanding of the Northern Pioneers is that they were able to negotiate a discounted group rate for their members.  The restriction being imposed may apply only to these types of reservations, rather than a group of folks who want to have a bunch of sites together and are paying regular rates.

In this past year, we've seen AAA and AP discounts all but vanish.  The greedy Fort managers may just be cracking down on discounts for groups, but will still allow groups to take over loops as long as they're paying the going rate.

If you think about it, assigning sites is like a huge game of Tetris, with the goal to fill the whole board with no spaces (unassigned site-days). I was never a great programmer, but putting on my best coding-hat I think the first reservations I'd block out linked reservations with a request. Next, I'd plug in the longest reservations with requests and work my way to the shortest with requests. Then filter in the longest request-free reservations and working toward the shortest. So yeah, in my economy, folks who book long stays and request a certain site would stand a pretty good chance of getting what they want. Also, when someone doesn't like their assigned site and says, "but this really cool site over here is available" the only way they would be given it only displaces assignments without requests. But no one asked me!

Great post, and what you say makes a lot of sense.  It also seems to be what happens in practice.  The folks who seem to get the same sites every year at a certain time do seem to be long-term guests, rather than weekend warrior types.

TCD

Without seeing the letter or understanding the context in which it was sent, it's hard to conclude what type of group reservations this applies to.

My understanding of the Northern Pioneers is that they were able to negotiate a discounted group rate for their members.  The restriction being imposed may apply only to these types of reservations, rather than a group of folks who want to have a bunch of sites together and are paying regular rates.

In this past year, we've seen AAA and AP discounts all but vanish.  The greedy Fort managers may just be cracking down on discounts for groups, but will still allow groups to take over loops as long as they're paying the going rate.

Great post, and what you say makes a lot of sense.  It also seems to be what happens in practice.  The folks who seem to get the same sites every year at a certain time do seem to be long-term guests, rather than weekend warrior types.

TCD

I didn't include the entire piece, but the writer does say that it's now rack rates.  It seems to pertain to these larger groups and not family get togethers, but with the Fort you never can tell.

The writer did say it affects the one person/TA making multiple reservations using 1 name.  And what is the magic # that makes it "multiple" reservations?

I didn't include the entire piece, but the writer does say that it's now rack rates.  It seems to pertain to these larger groups and not family get togethers, but with the Fort you never can tell.

The writer did say it affects the one person/TA making multiple reservations using 1 name.  And what is the magic # that makes it "multiple" reservations?

OK, then this is just another move consistent with the other decisions made by Fort management to protect their inflated rack rates.

It's clear that they're fine with sites sitting empty rather than discounting them to fill them up.  It seems crazy to me, but they're a multi billion dollar company, so what do I know?

TCD

We were in the same loop as you. I could see your site from mine but I never saw you outside. We were in 1329. I tried to say hi when I saw you in the settlement area but you didn't hear me. Of course you were driving your cart and I was walking.

Crap. I looked in every loop but mine. Too bad. I needed someone to drink some cold ones with...lol. Hope you had a good trip. Oh. Yes I almost ran over two small kids that were not being watched in the rode as their parents endulged in alcohol on our loop

Crap. I looked in every loop but mine. Too bad. I needed someone to drink some cold ones with...lol. Hope you had a good trip. Oh. Yes I almost ran over two small kids that were not being watched in the rode as their parents endulged in alcohol on our loop

That's OK will have a beer next time. That said I think I am done with thanksgiving time of year it's just to busy at Disney and the Fort.